VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
in an attempt to continue this conversation i have a quick question to add to this post, i was popping the p0172 code that says that the system is too rich bank 1, so i replaced the pre-cat o2 sensor and it ran fairly well for a few weeks, but this morning i just popped the cel again for code p0172, any ideas or suggestions??

· Registered
201 Posts
i just replaced spark plugs with the factory NGK plugs less than 1500 miles ago, so maybe ill take a look at the MAF. Can the MAF just be cleaned or does it have to be replaced, and how would i know that it's fouled?
anything else?

Modified by persiandubber at 1:14 PM 3-15-2006

· Registered
2,291 Posts
Re: (persiandubber)

What answer are you trying to find? Someone already answered your question and there's not much more you're going to find out. It "could" be causing it to run rich, yes. It could also be causing it to run lean.
Replace it if it concerns you. It's a $22 part at your local dealer judging by the fact that you have an '00. Your model year has a Narrowband pre-cat O2 sensor.

· Registered
770 Posts
from what some people have mentioned, the MAF can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol... put it in the plastic bag and leave it there for 5 minutes i think.... then take it out, leave it on the counter and let it dry COMPLETELY... other than that, persiandubber, do you have idle problems?? it throws the same code for me P0172...i need to do my O2 sensors i guess...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.