VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you can't get a forged crank for your application, will adding
a crank/main bearing girdle do just as well?
Rey

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: Does a cast crank + girdle = forged crank? (elRey)

You already have a forged crank. And adding a girdle is a headache due to fitment with the oil pan. You going 2.0?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Does a cast crank + girdle = forged crank? (VDUBNDizzy)

Quote, originally posted by VDUBNDizzy »
You already have a forged crank. And adding a girdle is a headache due to fitment with the oil pan. You going 2.0?

For arguement's sake let's say I am going 2.0, cast crank. So will adding a girdle put me on par with a forged crank?
There's a couple of post saying the AEG (2.0) cast crank won't support anything over ~250hp. Just curious if adding a girdle will support close to 400whp on that crank or any other 1.8-2.0 cast crank.
Thanks,
Rey

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

Isn't there a 2.0 OEM forged crank? I'm not all knowledgeable about the 2.0 cranks but I think there is one that would work. As for the girdle, it's a pain in the arse. Has to be machined to get to fit properly.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I appreciate the replies and help dizzy. Really I do, but the question remains unanswered.
I do believe there's a forged 2.0 crank, but eurospec isn't about to reveal their source. If I do find info on it, it would be a first choice
above a cast + girdle while considering cost/time. But until then, I want to complete my research on this alternative.
Again, your help and knowledge is appreciated.
Rey

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

It's just that everyone I've talked to that has used the girdle, including drm916 (local), has said they wouldn't do it again. It requires either mangling the oil pan or being sent out to be custom machined to fit. And it will more than likely leak either way.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Eurospec offers a modified oil pan specifically for the girdle. Not sure if it solves ALL of the problems ppl are having with them, but worth a look... for me. I should say it comes with one of their shortblocks, not positive you can get it separately.
Modified Aluminum Oilpan (to accommodate girdle)

·
Registered
4,445 Posts

Quote, originally posted by elRey »
Rey

Short answer: no, a girdle is not substitute for a forged crank

·
Banned
2,672 Posts

Eurospec offers a modified oil pan specifically for the girdle. Not sure if it solves ALL of the problems ppl are having with them, but worth a look... for me. I should say it comes with one of their shortblocks, not positive you can get it separately.
Modified Aluminum Oilpan (to accommodate girdle)

do whatever you want... he is telling you that the girdle is garbage, so how does garbage compare to a forged crank???does that answer your question? i think it did... so the question was answered some time ago.
16v 2.0L cranks are forged... atleast the one i saw this morning was.
why dont you shell out the dough for the forged crank... or just get a 16v 2.0L bottom end at a bone yard and junk the block and keep the crank.

Modified by 1.8T3t04e at 10:35 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Does a cast crank + girdle = forged crank? (1.8T3t04e)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8T3t04e »

do whatever you want... he is telling you that the girdle is garbage, so how does garbage compare to a forged crank???does that answer your question? i think it did... so the question was answered some time ago.

You read A LOT more into things said than I would ever do. I read that many are having a hard time getting them to fit. But once fitted correctly, who's to say they are garbage? What you are saying and speaking for dizzy, is that even when installed correctly and fitment issues worked out, a girdle does nothing, right?
Quote, originally posted by 1.8T3t04e »
16v 2.0L cranks are forged... atleast the one i saw this morning was.
why dont you shell out the dough for the forged crank... or just get a 16v 2.0L bottom end at a bone yard and junk the block and keep the crank.

Sounds easy enough. I'm reading from that statement that 16v 2.0L cranks come with crank trigger and oil pump chain gear, right? They are plug-n-play into a bored/stroked aww/awd/awp or aeg. Thanks for the info. I'll cheack it out.
Rey

Modified by elRey at 8:37 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

My first hit gives me this:
Quote, originally posted by ABA Scirocco »
AFAIK, all 9a's had forged cranks and pistons oilers but only the early (obd1) ABA's had these, the later (obd2) block had cast cranks and no oilers. All ABA's have a trigger wheel for a crank sensor that's mounted in the block, 9a's don't. There are also several other minor differences, the oil pumps and the way they are driven, the intermediate shafts, the timing belt sprockets

So, a little more research on early aba cranks.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Rey

That girdle will have to be really tight.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote, originally posted by nscirocco »
all ABA have external water pump, intermediate shaft driven oil pump and distributor

May be a problem. How hard is it to modify an ABA crank to chain drive the oil pump? Are there any other needed modifications?
screwing with a girdle vs modifying an ABA crank

edit: by first looks, the oil pump sprocket is on MK4 cranks appear to
be integrated (one piece) with the crank. That would definitely make it
difficult to add to an ABA crank.

Modified by elRey at 10:24 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

currently researching crank from the 2.0L FSI engine.
92.8 stroke - check
chain driven oil pump - check
trigger - pretty sure
forged - researching

·
Registered
10,713 Posts

The girdle does take an enormous amount of effort to fit, but it does work....

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Does a cast crank + girdle = forged crank? (tyrolkid)

Quote, originally posted by tyrolkid »
The girdle does take an enormous amount of effort to fit, but it does work....

Thank you. As good as a forged crank?
Rey

·
Banned
2,672 Posts

you asked a question, it got answered, you asked what 2.0L cranks were forged and i provided an answer, people are telling you the crank girdle is not a substitute for a forged crank.
i didnt say the 16v crank would be drop in.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts

Thank you. As good as a forged crank?
Rey

No
The girdle is a biotch to fit, I've spoken with eurospec, the modified oil pan they offer is supposed to solve all your problems with fitment. I'm not running that though, I'm running a custom modified oil pan.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts