VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a corrado have a rubbery or non sporty transmission? I was looking at the specs for the car and wondering why it isnt faster than an 8 sec 0-60 and a friend of mine told me that it has a bad(slow) transmission. What truth is there in this?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Re: Does a corrado have a rubbery or non sporty transmission? (wvadam)

The Corrado has a better transmission the GTI's, it has a closer ratio. I think the stock Vr6 does 0-60 in 7.1 but I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts

You can't rush the cable shifter too much...

·
Registered
19,819 Posts

92 SLC: 6.4sec 0-60...autofile, october 94 tested a 92 SLC with this time and a 15sec flat 1/4...the rubbery shifter.....that was fixed with the slc...the G60 was said to have a rubbery shifter, although that car does a 0-60 in 7.5sec, not 8....the 94' slc did 0-60 in 7.1sec due to crap HR rated tires.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Re: Does a corrado have a rubbery or non sporty transmission? (a2a4raddo)

Notchy is a better word I describe mine as. The solution for this is to flush and refill with some nice Redline MT90 tranny fluid and get a Dieselgeek short-shift.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: Does a corrado have a rubbery or non sporty transmission? (a2a4raddo)

quote:[HR][/HR]the rubbery shifter.....that was fixed with the slc[HR][/HR]​
The only difference is that the SLC has a weight on the shift mechanism on top of the tranny. You can retrofit this shift weight on to a g60, but it won't fit sometimes, depending on what IC piping your car has.
(edit:Lemme clarify this before someone screams at me. What I meant was that the only difference in the shifting mechanisims - ie the stick in your car, cables running to the tranny, and the mechanism on the tranny - is the weight. The trannies themselves have different gear ratios and slightly different cases, but the shift weight is the only thing that changes the shifter "feel.")
Another problem, now at least, is that these cars are 6-11 years old, and many have worn out or improperly adjusted shift linkages.
Another thing to consider is the classic remark: Corrados, like most euro cars, weren't designed to go fast 0-60 or 1/4mi. They were built to handle well and drive solidly at high speeds.
Personally, I like the feel of how my g60 shifts. My brother has an Integra GSR, and those things are supposed to have great shift feel. Sure, you only have to move the stick a teeny bit to shift in his car, but I don't like it. I prefer the longer, more weighty feel of my shifter to his short throw.
-Nate
PS - here's a link to a page on the CCA site detailing specs of the various Corrados: http://www.corrado-club.com/corrado/specs.cfm

[Modified by SaabFan, 9:10 AM 11-28-2001]

[Modified by SaabFan, 9:11 AM 11-28-2001]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts