VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In considering an extended warranty for a '03 GTI, I would like to ask you if you know if the extended warrantly covers anything that is not covered by the 4 year/50,000 mi warranty provided by VW.
Also, if you have an extended warranty, did you purchase the extended warranty offered by VW or did you purchase an aftermarket extended warranty?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Re: Does any extended warranty cover anything that is not cover in the firs ... (100free)

I do know that the VW extended warranty doesn't cover anything that the basic warranty covers. It simply extends the warranty coverage beyond the time or mileage of the existing warranty.
The "biggest" extended warranty I was offered was the 10yr/100k mile package. I had to ask, but they do offer an extension of the mileage for the original 5yr coverage. I chose it because I knew I'd be driving 25-35k miles/year and I financed for 60 mos. I think it only raised payment by ~$15.

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,215 Posts
Re: Does any extended warranty cover anything that is not cover in the firs ... (100free)

I would ask on the content of the exdended warranty from the place you buy it from, there are usually 3 different types.
I would also recommend buying the extended warranty from the place which you want to perform the service work.
The whole extended warranty issue is such a big thing when it shouldn't be, basically when you buy an extended warranty, it's from the OEM munufacturer, not from the dealer, so technically a used a car place buys the warranty from a specific manufacturer and re-sells it to you with a marked up profit. Then you should be able to get that warranty validated at any PARTICIPATING (this is the catch) dealer.
So make sure that if you do not buy it from the place where you want your car serviced, PARTICIPATES in the exdended warranty contract.
BTW, you can negociate the price of the extended warranty.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts

if you get the vw masterguard "platinum" plan, you basically have EVERYTHING covered except for wear/maintenance parts, glass, and trim, i believe.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: Does any extended warranty cover anything that is not cover in the firs ... (Blitzen155)

how much does the extended warranty plan or plans cost??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts