VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

401 - 420 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My .02 ....

If you haven’t already, invest a couple of hundred bucks and take lessons. Learn and practice the basics. Don’t even bother keeping score for a while. Practice with a specific club, develop a “go to club” that you find is the easiest to hit for you. My 6 Iron is my go to club.

Here’s another tip - learn to hit shots with a ¾ swing; instead of a full swing with a 7 Iron pull out the 6 Iron choke down a little on the grip and make a ¾ swing. If you can make good contact, you’ll be able to control the ball more and achieve the same distance. In the spring after a few months of not playing, I always use a club higher and ¾ swing until I get my golf muscles back in shape.
great tip! :thumbup: i find that im having to do that not only because my 'full' swing feels out of control, but also i cant seem to generate enough power in my swing. i think i need to work on flexibility, especially in my core area. as right now i can only get my 9 iron to around 105-115yds. :(

im also thinking of taking lessons, but are they worth $100/hr? :eek:

·
Registered
CarTruck, Wagon
10,741 Posts
great tip! :thumbup: i find that im having to do that not only because my 'full' swing feels out of control, but also i cant seem to generate enough power in my swing. i think i need to work on flexibility, especially in my core area. as right now i can only get my 9 iron to around 105-115yds. :(

check out your local public/city/whatever course - most will have group (3-4 people) or just a cheaper rate (my area - 40-100/hr range but discounts if you buy out a package of lessons)

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
So, played over the weekend with my wife (she didn't play, she just rode along). I Played really slow and smooth, just trying to have a good time. Ended up hitting the ball really well. Only missed 1 fairway, hit at least 7 (of 9) GIR. The other 2 holes I was right next to the green. So long story short, I shot a 40 which is a good day for me, but it should have been so much better.

Ironically, a few months ago I shot 37 and hit the ball horribly. Short game totally bailed me out.

Anyone else have a really good scoring round, but didn't hit the ball well?

---

Also, do you guys have any opinions on Callaway bags? I have a Ping Hoofer from high school (1999), and it still looks/works fine, but it's a little heavy compared to what's out (~7 lbs) now. I was looking at a Callaway online that weighs 3.5 lbs. and has all sorts of little pockets (insulated water bottle, scorecard holder, pen holder, etc.). I don't have a lot of gear, so a smaller bag is fine. Anything you all would recommend, or should I just stick with the tried and true Hoofer?

Here's the Callaway - Hyperlite 3.5...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like to golf but I didn't have the time to go play this year but I'm hoping to get back on the course next year.

·
Registered
CarTruck, Wagon
10,741 Posts
FV-QR

i'm impressed - sure not 100% but the instant feedback is awesome. i have a nasty over the top action right now :(

·
Registered
CarTruck, Wagon
10,741 Posts
FV-QR

bump - just got our tickets for WGC @ Doral for this weekend. i haven't been to doral since we actually played the Blue Monster about 10 years ago (ugh... in torrential rain too)

·
Registered
27,845 Posts
bump - just got our tickets for WGC @ Doral for this weekend. i haven't been to doral since we actually played the Blue Monster about 10 years ago (ugh... in torrential rain too)
Consider volunteering next year? Great time.

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/cadillac-championship/volunteer.html

We used to chair the merchandise committee for the Bank of America Championship, a Champions Tour event that ended in 2008.

This year will be our 8th year as marshals at the Deutsche Bank Championship Labor Day weekend.

·
Registered
CarTruck, Wagon
10,741 Posts
That thing is sweet! I'm going to have to buy one. I actually took a lesson a few weeks ago and I've been trying to implement what the instructor told me to do. Stop over swinging. :p
and 2.0 just came out (or will) - i'll probably upgrade as it is a cool/geeky gadget. plus i can just swing in the backyard on a mat and and work on the little things.

Consider volunteering next year? Great time.

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/cadillac-championship/volunteer.html

We used to chair the merchandise committee for the Bank of America Championship, a Champions Tour event that ended in 2008.

This year will be our 8th year as marshals at the Deutsche Bank Championship Labor Day weekend.
not enough time with the kiddos around - maybe in a few years. i've done it before at a pro-am and that was a lot of fun. probably the Honda Classic or the Allianz Championship (right down the street)

--

also just got ticket pricing for The Masters - $5-10k per person this year :eek: depends if full week (practice/par3) or vip included.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts

Holy hell that's expensive.

I bought a 3 pack of lessons from one of the golf stores here, the pro that does the lessons used to golf with a co worker on the CPGA tour. It's $105 for 3 half hour lessons in their simulator.

Either way, I'm new to golf and they're able to pick up on little things and really help with your swing. Get the basics down, control and distance come with practice.

·
Registered
27,845 Posts
Woods is an ass. Everyone I know, exccept one person, that has had any interaction with him can't stand him.

Glad Scott won. :beer:

Told my wife on Friday I thought Cabrera was going to win.

·
Registered
11,817 Posts
Woods is an ass. Everyone I know, exccept one person, that has had any interaction with him can't stand him.

I don't disagree with you that he's not a nice guy, but I still enjoy watching him golf (from afar). After that, I wanted to see Cabrera continue that hot streak from the third round and he didn't disappoint. As for Scott, I liked him before Stevie Williams became his caddy. But, not I think it's hilarious to imagine the texts Stevie is sending Tiger right now. :laugh:

·
Registered
5,737 Posts

Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with Tiger. I want to root for him because I know what he's capable of, but he's such an a$$hole. :laugh: I can remember being a kid at the Masters Par 3 contest and yelling *just after* he made contact. Well, he hit his iron shot in the water. As he was walking by, he stared me down (I was 11-12 btw). :laugh: My family still laughs about it to this day. Although, it's kind of cool knowing that the best golfer of the common era stared you down. :thumbup:

BTW, I went out to the Masters on Tuesday this year. Was really unimpressed - found a weed on number 9, hahaha. Seriously, it's amazing that you can have 100s of acre's of pristine grass and landscaping. I just don't get it. I mean, I literally saw 1 weed the entire golf course, and you couldn't tell unless you actually examined it with a close eye.

Also, did anyone notice that Adam Scott grabbed a spectator's Australia flag as he was exiting the 18th green toward the clubhouse? Looked like a fan was waving it and he just grabbed it as he was walking by. :laugh:

·
Registered
27,845 Posts
Also, did anyone notice that Adam Scott grabbed a spectator's Australia flag as he was exiting the 18th green toward the clubhouse? Looked like a fan was waving it and he just grabbed it as he was walking by. :laugh:
My wife (she who is in love with Adam Scott) noticed that, of course. :D

Are you not allowed to bring umbrellas on the course? Saw very few non-logo umbrellas. Do you know how much the Masters' umbrella was at the course?

Found this: http://www.mmogolf.com/20maum.html . $100.

No way I'm paying $100 for an umbrella even if I was the Wicked Witch of the West.

401 - 420 of 449 Posts