VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

421 - 440 of 449 Posts

·
Millennial
German crap
23,772 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that Cabrera is my golf hero. Dude just walks up to the ball, rips at it as hard as he can, and is damn good at it. I really wanted to see that playoff keep going - but also happy that Scott finally broke through.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
My wife (she who is in love with Adam Scott) noticed that, of course. :D

Are you not allowed to bring umbrellas on the course? Saw very few non-logo umbrellas. Do you know how much the Masters' umbrella was at the course?
My wife's in love with Adam Scott too - that's all I heard about Sunday afternoon. Not really sure why, you can't see half of his face.

Funny story, the first time my wife saw Adam Scott on TV she says "Woah, he's hot, who is that?". I reply "KJ Choi". :laugh: I forgot that i told her that, and it took about 4 months for her to actually find out who KJ Choi actually was. She didn't know any better so she didn't question, although she did think he had a strange name. :laugh: :beer:

I didn't check the umbrella prices out. I figure they were probably $50-$60. I bet they sold out on Sunday.

IMO, the prices are very reasonable, and in some cases a downright bargain considering the venue. I'm fairly certain the prices haven't gone up in ~5-7 years, and have only increased marginally in the last 15 years. I paid $3 total for an egg salad sandwich and a coke this year;I'm pretty sure it was $1.25 each the first time I went back in 1994 or 95. I went to an Atlanta Hawks game a couple of weeks back and paid $6 for a hot dog, $6 for popcorn, and $6 for a coke, which me and my wife shared. Granted the portions were bigger, but a middle class family can go bankrupt eating at the average sporting event. I don't know how families of 4 or 5+ afford it. Plus, the tickets for the Hawks games were $250 total (they were good seats though), but our Masters practice round tickets were only $60-70 I think.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. I'm just always in awe of the Masters and how they run it. They could charge whatever they want, but they don't.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that Cabrera is my golf hero. Dude just walks up to the ball, rips at it as hard as he can, and is damn good at it. I really wanted to see that playoff keep going - but also happy that Scott finally broke through.
Yeah, he has a cool story. The guy quit school at 11 to become a caddie, then worked his way up. His swing isn't textbook. He doesn't appear to work out or anything, just grips & rips as you say...and he's long. He out-drove Scott on #10 and Cabrera was hitting an iron and Scott hit a 3 wood I think. I kept wondering how this big out-of-shape looking hog can just get up there out-drove these guys, especially a perfect physical specimen(my wife's words) like Adam Scott.

He's like the total underdog, but he's got game, and considering what he's already done, he's kind of the opposite of an underdog.

·
Registered
27,845 Posts
I reply "KJ Choi". :laugh:
:D

There was a really nice article on K.J. in Golf Digest or Golf World a year ago or so.

We were marshals on 15 at Deutsche Bank last year. My wife and I were doing the ropes between 14 green and 15th tee. Mike, our hole captain, is on the tee by himself doing the flag for the direction of drives to help the marshals on the fairway spot the ball.

Scott finished putting on 14. My wife walks up on the tee to be by Mike, and Mike is :confused: until he sees Adam Scott walking behind my wife. :D

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Grew up learning and playing at Hartwell in Long Beach, CA. The city had a juniors golf academy from aves 7-17 I believe. I havent really looked at a set of clubs since which is a damn shame. I need o pick it up again, as it was quite fun. Now to find a set of used clubs and some shoes.. :)

·
Registered
27,845 Posts
Final round and final stage of the Tour tomorrow. :beer:

Going to stay around the house.

Was thinking of going to Mystic Seaport, CT to see the relaunch of the Charles Morgan. I'll just watch it online.

·
Millennial
German crap
23,772 Posts
Yeah, me too. I was really happy Phil got it. I was getting freakin emotional listening to his little speech and seeing bones after he won. I really hope he finally breaks through at the US open next year...it would be fitting for him to get it done at Pinehurst, considering the history there.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
^Wow, that's just crazy. Hard to feel sorry for him though of course. :laugh:

I'm a little late to the game here, but I was happy to see Mickelson win. Those last 3 holes were simply amazing considering the pressure. However, it does suck to see Westwood miss another major. IIRC, he's already been knocked in the past for being overrated and something like this doesn't help. Plus, I'm guessing that winning the British Open might be more special for someone who is from England.

·
Registered
27,845 Posts
Remember the Ryder Cup a few years back where one U.K. country wanted to go after a fraction of the players' endorsement earnings even though the players weren't wearing their endorsement stuff and were wearing team clothing? :p

·
Registered
11,817 Posts
I heard about the taxation right after he won. I'm not concerned about moobs' ability to pay it, I just hope he has the same jabs for everyone else as he did for the State of CA. :peace:

·
Millennial
German crap
23,772 Posts
Played 36 holes last Friday - hit the ball better than I thought I would, considering it was the first time I've been out in over 3 months. Also, the greens were just stamped, so I couldn't buy a putt. Of course, I birdied the last hole to keep me interested :laugh:

Going back out this Sunday, hopefully getting 27 in if I have enough daylight. (It's a 27 hole course)

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I don't know if I'm getting old or what, but I'm done after 18. I can physically play, but I just feel like my swing isn't there or something.

421 - 440 of 449 Posts