VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
25,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It seems cops everywhere are using these now. I don't necessarily have a problem with the technology, but the practices being used.

For example, a couple of weeks back I am travelling down 91 in Western Mass. As I approach a bridge abuttment, I see a figure in dark clothing move toward the roadway and point what looks like it could be a gun right at me in a shooter stance.

Turns out instead of a roadside terrorist hazing drivers, it was a sneaky State Trooper with his cruiser hidden behind the bridge.

Is it really a good idea to have cops playing out first person shooter fantasies on the roadside with traffic moving at 65 +? I can't imagine what older drivers think when they see this happen.

If they are sitting in their cruiser doing it, that is one thing, but to hide the car and basically jump out in front of traffic seems a little dumb to me.

CSB? :heart:

·
Banned
7,189 Posts
Vast majority of poeple probably don't notice. And really, what would you have done if it was a gun?
Clip him, "I feared for my life, I thought he was going to shoot me!"

:p:popcorn:

·
Registered
925 Posts
It seems cops everywhere are using these now. I don't necessarily have a problem with the technology, but the practices being used.

For example, a couple of weeks back I am travelling down 91 in Western Mass. As I approach a bridge abuttment, I see a figure in dark clothing move toward the roadway and point what looks like it could be a gun right at me in a shooter stance.

Turns out instead of a roadside terrorist hazing drivers, it was a sneaky State Trooper with his cruiser hidden behind the bridge.

Is it really a good idea to have cops playing out first person shooter fantasies on the roadside with traffic moving at 65 +? I can't imagine what older drivers think when they see this happen.

If they are sitting in their cruiser doing it, that is one thing, but to hide the car and basically jump out in front of traffic seems a little dumb to me.

CSB? :heart:

I think your paranoid. Were you speeding or just hate cops.

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drive a Camry, so therefore I am invisible. I am only worried about the other drivers. :laugh:

But, I would duck and swerve.:peace:

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '12 MCS
12,858 Posts
I saw one on the main road through my town last year that was actually pretty funny. He'd parked his car behind the church and was just standing on the sidewalk with his hands behind his back. As you approach, he'd do a quick draw and hit you before you knew what happened. This is on a road with a 35 mph speed limit and typical 45-50 mph speeds, so I imagine he was doing well.

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think your paranoid. Were you speeding or just hate cops.
Paranoid? Uh, no they actually do what I described. I don't know where you get that I hate cops. I have some good friends that are cops.

I just don't think these practices make sense from a safety standpoint, both for the cop and the traffic.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Paranoid? Uh, no they actually do what I described. I don't know where you get that I hate cops. I have some good friends that are cops.

I just don't think these practices make sense from a safety standpoint, both for the cop and the traffic.

I disagree had this happen to me; except he was standing in the middle of the road. Everyone was speeding and he used his presents and his other hand to slow us all down. Guess what? we all slowed down!:laugh:

BTW.... I have many friends that are cops from our police chief on down.

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I disagree had this happen to me; except he was standing in the middle of the road. Everyone was speeding and he used his presents and his other hand to slow us all down. Guess what? we all slowed down!:laugh:

BTW.... I have many friends that are cops from our police chief on down.
Well, yeah if he had been giving out presents I absolutely would have slowed down. Heck I might have even stopped.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Probably very circumstance dependent. One time I had a cop who was completely hidden behind some bushes, who had completely hidden his car, was very close to the roadside, appeared at the last moment as I approached, and didn't fully reveal himself when he "shot" me with radar/lidar.

And yeah, that actually got me to swerve a bit. I didn't end up in a ditch or the other lane but it definitely caused a moment of concern before I figured out what was going on. Thought I was about to be pelted with paintballs by some unruly teenagers or worse since there was nothing about what I saw to immediately make my brain register "cop".

I wasn't speeding or was only slightly above so I just corrected my course and drove on by....

Ordinarily, a cop with a radar/lidar gun of course doesn't cause me any real excitement, even if slightly hidden.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Why don't they sit in their car? I understand they can't hide as well if the car is visible, but if they have to tag you, get in the car and then go, if you saw them you could be finding a way off the road by then.

Is there something about LIDAR which makes it so they have to be outside the car? Bouncing off the glass or something?

·
Registered
16,681 Posts
You can't shoot it through the glass...at least not the models I've seen / used. The biggest issue is hiding the car. It is tough to hide the car well enough to sit in it and use the device. Like was said, after the clock then you have to jump in and chase the subject down which presents its own problems. If you have a good enough spot, you can have plently of time. For court, I try not to use anything over 1000 feet though on a very flat stretch of road I have hit cars over 3/4 mile away.

To be honest, this is why I prefer moving radar. People generally aren't paying attention at traffic coming the opposite direction and you eliminate the high-beam flash drivers do to warn others. No doubt lasers are better in that they pinpoint a vehicle but if you are good with radar and your tracking history / speed estimation, radar is very effective. I won't write a ticket I can't be 100% certain of and can accurately testify to in court.

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
Several years ago, I saw a highway ranger step onto the shoulder of the highway to flag down a speeder. The woman panicked, swerved, lost control, almost hit the cop, and creamed his cruiser. Damn it was funny when a couple of other drivers and I were giving our statements. "Well, this man jumped out into traffic and the woman lost control trying to avoid him." :laugh:

Seriously, though, they should be wearing traffic safety vests if they are going be close to traffic like that, just like construction workers do.

·
Registered
2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Subaru BRZ, 2015 GX460
18,308 Posts
as a fun note in MI. sometimes police will pull onto the right shoulder of the highway and open their trunk.

they then crack the door just enough to shoot their radar out of. when they have a target past, they shut the door and floor it. the trunk automatically slams shut from the movement of the car. pretty entertaining to watch.

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Isn't that what they've always done??? They've had those handheld gun units for years now haven't they?

FWIW here they are supposed to wear a yellow traffic jacket when they use them.
This is what I mean, no yellow vest, no sign that it is indeed an officer. This particular guy is at this bridge quite often. The area under the bridge is obviously dark, which makes this even more suspect when you see a person moving around under there.

He pops out, shoots the radar, and then flags drivers to the area beyond the bridge where his cruiser is hidden. No pursuit.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,724 Posts
Several years ago, I saw a highway ranger step onto the shoulder of the highway to flag down a speeder.

Seriously, though, they should be wearing traffic safety vests if they are going be close to traffic like that, just like construction workers do.
Here in MD, the state patrol would do this from the LEFT shoulder (in the median) of the interstates (both I 70 and I 95) and step out INTO the fast lane with his hand up to stop whomever he had just tagged. I've never seen this before on either coast.

I don't care how brightly you are vested, stepping out into the 70+ mph fast lane of the interstate in front of an SUV is simply stupid.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Here in MD, the state patrol would do this from the LEFT shoulder (in the median) of the interstates (both I 70 and I 95) and step out INTO the fast lane with his hand up to stop whomever he had just tagged.[ I've never seen this before on either coast.

I don't care how brightly you are vested, stepping out into the 70+ mph fast lane of the interstate in front of an SUV is simply stupid.
I really don't care for that practice and actually had a trooper step out in a similar fashion on the New Jersey Turnpike long ago. Just seemed ridiculous.

The thing that gets me about many of these incidents is that they sit at the bottom of a long hill, just waiting for gravity to give a little nudge and pretty soon we are all flying along and getting nailed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts