VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when you try to start my mums 2004 VW Touareg V8 it makes a very wierd noise and doesn't start, also the ignition does turn on, the car also rocks back and forth even though its in park, maybe a flat battery and hopefully not the transmission, if anyone has a diagnosis for this that would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would absolutely start with looking at the battery first. Test with a multimeter. Sounds like it has enough voltage to turn on lights but not enough to start.
Could be, thank you, will be sure to see if it has enough power, also the little screen in the gauge cluster was dimming,so it must be then.

·
Registered
894 Posts
We have a 2005 V8 and it destroys batteries...about every two years it's time to extricate it's lifeless heart for a new one. And none of these "We'll swap-out your old battery for free!" service offers apply to me....😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a 2005 V8 and it destroys batteries...about every two years it's time to extricate it's lifeless heart for a new one. And none of these "We'll swap-out your old battery for free!" service offers apply to me....😁
Really? Lmao. We have had ours now for 10 years, never broke and has been a tank, the only thing that we gad to replace is the infamous thermostat and timingbelt. Also never really had an issue with battery draining, ours held 5 years, gonna have to replace it now.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Really? Lmao. We have had ours now for 10 years, never broke and has been a tank, the only thing that we gad to replace is the infamous thermostat and timingbelt. Also never really had an issue with battery draining, ours held 5 years, gonna have to replace it now.
The air suspension seems to take a lot of blame for this but, yeah, it's one of the 'features' carried over from the Phaeton. Beyond that, the insulation on the wiring in the <everywhere> vaporizing (think it's soy-based) and causing electrical challenges has been the biggest detriment.

We should sell it but it's just too damn good at what it does to let go of. We got run off the road and had to take a jaunt through a field one day and the truck pulled it off smooth as butter....ditch-plowed field-ditch and back to pavement with barely a jostle. Stable, heavy and competent, the vehicles are amazing and were way ahead of their time. 🍻

1 - 6 of 6 Posts