VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want one with RHD and there aren't very many of those over here, and to be more specific i wanna know more about the actual importing of the car like all of the regulations, shipping and legal stuff

· Registered
6,065 Posts
Unfortunately, trade relations are strained with the country of Europe. Europe is insulted by Americans' inability to speak European, so they retaliated by keeping all the cool aging economy cars in Europe.

My question is why someone would even consider going through such hassle for something as uninteresting as a GTI.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah ive heard its really hard to import cars and everything but i thought some people might know how to do it, and i did this post for my buddy, he wants a GTI but im telling him to import a Skyline GTR R33, its my dream car :D

· Banned
5,343 Posts
call us customs, they likely have an info pamphlet or website put together that explains the process.

25 years old or older.
pay ~$2-3k in transportation & importing costs.

that's the jist of it. so call the people who DO the importing, us customs, and ask them what you need to do to import a car. or better yet, go google their website and read about it yourself.

it's not rocket surgery.

· Registered
5,486 Posts
I want one with RHD and there aren't very many of those over here, and to be more specific i wanna know more about the actual importing of the car like all of the regulations, shipping and legal stuff
Wait... wait... why do you want a German car in RHD, in a LHD country? Inquiring minds want to know.

Are you related to the guy who, in another lifetime, wanted to convert his B3 Passat to RHD to make it "True Euro"?

· Registered
7,272 Posts
Usually when I think of importing a car from Europe, I imagine me driving to my BMW dealership, building the car I want with my sales guy, they magically send the papers to Europe where a group of gnomes take the night off of making shoes and assemble my BMW in Europe, then taaaaadaaa, they ship it here to the grand ole USofA.

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Find one of these companies local to you and give them a call:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/web_RI_list01122006.html

Also - start reading:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

>8^)
ER

Lots of good info in that link; there's a long list of vehicles eligible for importation that would be of interest to TCL; I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before. A few examples:

Alpina B12 5.0 sedan; 1988-1994
Audi A4, RS4, S4; 2000-2001
Audi RS6 & RS Avant; 2003
BMW M3; 1988-89
BMW M6; 1987-88
Land Rover Defender 110; 1993
Mercedes-Benz G Wagen; multiple years
Nissan GTS & GTR aka "Skyline" manf 1/96-6/98
VW Golf Rallye; 1988-89

· Get Off My Lawn!!!
25,202 Posts
Rule Number One: Avoid shipping a car to America from Europe on any boat named "Andrea Doria". - courtesy Chrysler Corporation

· Get Off My Lawn!!!
25,202 Posts
Unfortunately, trade relations are strained with the country of Europe. Europe is insulted by Americans' inability to speak European, so they retaliated by keeping all the cool aging economy cars in Europe.

Oh stewardess, I speak European...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.