VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: Does anyone run 205/50/17s on 17"Classix? (kerosenec4)

Running stretched tires in the winter would be somewhat of a stupid move... You want to have the maximum amount of tread area possible in order to improve traction. I realise that the difference in tire width is minimal, but every square inch counts.
It's winter, safety first; especially if you're carrying any special cargo.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Re: Does anyone run 205/50/17s on 17"Classix? (david8814)

Actually, I think it's better to run narrower tires in winter. This gives the contact patch a higher pressure (force divided by area), which will enable the tires to "push" through the snow and grab the pavement. Wider tires tend to "float" on the snow.
I'm looking at running the same setup when winter comes.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,498 Posts
Incorrect....

Quote, originally posted by david8814 »
Running stretched tires in the winter would be somewhat of a stupid move... You want to have the maximum amount of tread area possible in order to improve traction. I realise that the difference in tire width is minimal, but every square inch counts.
It's winter, safety first; especially if you're carrying any special cargo.

Narrower tire - taller sidewall = better in snow....

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: Incorrect.... (cb1111)

Quote, originally posted by cb1111 »
Narrower tire - taller sidewall = better in snow....

Makes sense... I didn't really consider snow (don't get much here in beautiful Raincouver
). Only real problem here is ice, and wider=better in that regard. Guess the OP has to consider snow where he's at haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.