VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an avid reader of Car&Driver, Motor Trend, Road&Track and Automobile Magazines. Even though they test all cars and make their judgements, the final decision is still "us". I was wondering if they or any other magazine influenced you in any way when you purchase your cars!! Just want to hear what you think on that!! I know their are other magazines out there that are just as good!!

spidey
2k1 GTI VR6
tornado rot

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
they definitely provide a place to jump off from. i'm in the process of looking at sport compacts and the recent "showdowns" and comparisons in various magazines have been very helpful. the magazines, in conjunction with test drives have really helped to guide me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Re: Does car magazineshave a big factor in your car purchasing? (DohRado)

Personally, I find the magazines are good at showing nice photos and not a lot else.
The writers are not me, they are not spending their own money and they do not want the same things from a car that I do...so why listen to what they think.
I will make a list, drive the cars and make my own decision based upon what I find and what I want from a car...I think that buying a car because some motoring hack says so is a pretty shallow reason to buy one...if that was the case I'd be driving an Impreza WRX not an S3.
At the end of the day, I buy a car for my own selfish pleasure, not to impress others or to follow what some magazine says.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: Does car magazineshave a big factor in your car purchasing? (golf44)

yes they do
. i was sold on the Scirocco 16V, and the 924 after reading about them.
obin

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Does car magazineshave a big factor in your car purchasing? (golf44)

I read car magazines but just take all the reviews as a gain-of-salt. I don't need the journalists tell me which car to buy. I buy the cars I love to drive and own. Magazines are good "reference" but can't take them too seriously. If I listen to every words they say, I would be driving 3-Series instead of A4.

[Modified by A4Jetta, 8:56 AM 4-4-2002]

[Modified by A4Jetta, 11:26 AM 4-4-2002]

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Re: Does car magazineshave a big factor in your car purchasing? (A4Jetta)

Nope, not at all.
I knew the second that my integra was stolen that my next car would be a VW Jetta and I made it so. For that matter, the integra was also purchased without any reading on the subject.

·
Registered
1990 Chevrolet Hatchback
36,950 Posts
Re: Does car magazineshave a big factor in your car purchasing? (capicuuu)

I second Tom.
As well, and I've had this happen a number of times, I drive a car that was panned in a magazine only to find out it's actually a capable and enjoyable car that fits my needs perfectly.
Like my Jetta.

·
Registered
45,145 Posts
Re: Does car magazineshave a big factor in your car purchasing? (JettaPat)

I read a lot of magazines too. Reading about the car may help you narrow choices by giving you info like standard features, warranty, 0=60 blah, blah.
But driving is all about the feeling... you got to sit in a car to see if it fits you and your style.... Ive driven alot! of cars. Ive only owned vw's...... I love the way they feel, look and most importantly I can afford them...

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
Re: Does car magazineshave a big factor in your car purchasing? (Ess Three)

quote:[HR][/HR]Personally, I find the magazines are good at showing nice photos and not a lot else.
The writers are not me, they are not spending their own money and they do not want the same things from a car that I do...so why listen to what they think.
I will make a list, drive the cars and make my own decision based upon what I find and what I want from a car...I think that buying a car because some motoring hack says so is a pretty shallow reason to buy one...if that was the case I'd be driving an Impreza WRX not an S3.

At the end of the day, I buy a car for my own selfish pleasure, not to impress others or to follow what some magazine says.[HR][/HR]​
I coulndn't agree more. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
26,702 Posts
Re: Does car magazineshave a big factor in your car purchasing? (A4Jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]I read car magazines but just take all the reviews as a gain-of-salt. I don't need the journalists tell me which car to buy. I buy the cars I love to drive and own. Magazines are good "reference" but can't take them too seriously. If I listen to every words they say, I would be driving 3-Series instead of A4.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah but who told you to buy a 2.0?

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Does car magazineshave a big factor in your car purchasing? (VWVancouver)

When I was cross shopping Jetta VR6 Legacy GT, Maxima ES, Passat GLS 1.8T and Accord EX V6, I decided to buy a Jetta since we got great experience with the A4. There were no Mk4 GLS VR6 nor TDI available at that moment, so I had to take 2.slow in order to get rid of that damn Toyota.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Does car magazineshave a big factor in your car purchasing? (TabulaRasa)

Thank you fellows!! These are great inputs!! I especially like the comment from from A4. We really do have the final say so on what we spend our hard earn $$ on. Everyone had great answers!!
spidey
2k1 GTI VR6
tornado rot
I

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.