VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Particularly, the more recent GTI's and the new mark VII GTI, which I am considering buying as a dual purpose daily driver and street class autox car.
I hear you can turn off traction control, but not skid control. Does this ruin the fun? Anybody have experience autocrossing the mark VI GTI or driving the Mark VII?
Does it inhibit the effectiveness of trail braking and lift off oversteer?

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
unless you are a national champion driver, you will be fine just turning traction control off.

really, those kind of cars largest drawback is that they arn't an 89 CRX si

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Particularly, the more recent GTI's and the new mark VII GTI, which I am considering buying as a dual purpose daily driver and street class autox car.
I hear you can turn off traction control, but not skid control. Does this ruin the fun? Anybody have experience autocrossing the mark VI GTI or driving the Mark VII?
Does it inhibit the effectiveness of trail braking and lift off oversteer?
It will still be fun to drive, but yes it will pretty much eliminate lift off oversteer. But I wouldn't sweat that... our '12 GLI cannot disable ESP but APR has software that can disable it, so I imagine they will do the same for the MK VII GTI.

I autoX my MKV though... and it just has the button to turn it on and off...

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I have a 2011, which cannot VCDS the 2nd stage ESP like the 2012+ cars for MK6. It has never been that much of a hindrance after you have proper summer tires on. I've had a few proper sideway moment in the car after I start running with stiffer rear sway bar without interference from the car. Only thing electronic wise is on bumpy surface, the ABS sometimes will trigger ice mode and you get a super stiff pedal and little braking power to prevent lockup on ice. Which IIRC is not something limited to these cars...I've been pretty competitive locally on PAX with a MK6 last couple of years.

Get tires, and just drive the hell out of it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts