VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It takes about 40 minutes of me driving to move just a 1/4 of the way up. and sometimes it only moves to the end of the big white block on the gauge. The sensor is BRAND new. wiring?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Re: does my coolant gauge work? takes forever to move (eastcoastdubs)

I wouldn't complain, at least it's not at the TOP of the gauge

You're thermostat may be stuck open causing the engine to be cooled more than sufficient

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

does the heater temp take that long to get warm air too?
stuck open thermostat can make it take forever to heat up. 40 minutes though...
if it's actually running that cool u should look into fixing that for sure. however if it's warming up faster then taht (gauging by hose temperatures/heater), then try sensor wiring, who the hell knows.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: does my coolant gauge work? takes forever to move (The_Jerbel)

The weird thing is the heat works in like 2 min of driving

·
Registered
91 Posts

Mine does the same thing. 90 Golf, drive it for an hour with little temp guage movement. Heat comes on within minutes though. I just assume it's my grandma-like driving habits

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: does my coolant gauge work? takes forever to move (CoryWebster)

but the thing is... i dont have grandma driving habits

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

I had that. It was the thermostat stuck open. Replaced it, and the guage returned to normal. It is adviseable to replace the thermostat in such a case.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: does my coolant gauge work? takes forever to move (SimonH)

Is the thermostat switch different from the coolant gauge? where is it?

·
Registered
9,699 Posts

The thermostat is a mechanical, temperature actuated valve that is located on the water neck coming off of the water pump (underneath the car). Its easy to get to. Just jack up the right side of the car a little to get under there. Its up near the front of the motor. (well, my car is slammed, so I needed a jack. You may not) Anyhow, you can get a thermostat for under $10 pretty much anywhere. Don't forget to replace the gasket too...
Be prepared to lose most of your coolant in the process.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: does my coolant gauge work? takes forever to move (vdubturbo)

quote:[HR][/HR]The thermostat is a mechanical, temperature actuated valve that is located on the water neck coming off of the water pump (underneath the car). Its easy to get to. Just jack up the right side of the car a little to get under there. Its up near the front of the motor. (well, my car is slammed, so I needed a jack. You may not) Anyhow, you can get a thermostat for under $10 pretty much anywhere. Don't forget to replace the gasket too...
Be prepared to lose most of your coolant in the process.
[HR][/HR]​
very helpful. thanks.
So your saying i should do this when the engine is cold eh? So as not to have a sympathy/hatred post. about how i burned myself and it was all vdubturbo's fault for not telling me.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts

If you want you can use a clean bucket and catch your coolant. Just in case you feel chinsey at the time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts