VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should the power train warranty cover this problem...i'm losing a quart every 1500 miles or so and I and am just f*ck*n fed up with it....any advice?
thanks

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Re: does power train warranty cover the oil loss problem on the mk iv? (y2k1jetta)

Depends where the oil loss problem is. If you have ceased piston rings (most common problem for oil loss), then yes, the warranty would cover that. It you have a cracked oil pan, then I don't believe that is covered. I could be wrong. I would ask the dealership for a complete list of powertrain warranty items, from soup to nuts.

·
James Steed
12,166 Posts
Re: does power train warranty cover the oil loss problem on the mk iv? (pooz01wolfsburg)

If i remember correctly there was a form that a dealership had to fill out and if the amount of oil burn off was more than a certain amount over a certain period of time it could be considered a warranty fix.

·
Registered
23,991 Posts
Re: does power train warranty cover the oil loss problem on the mk iv? (EPilot)

Quote, originally posted by EPilot »
If i remember correctly there was a form that a dealership had to fill out and if the amount of oil burn off was more than a certain amount over a certain period of time it could be considered a warranty fix.

In some instances....VW will perform an oil consumption test for you free of charge....but it is at thier discretion. My dub burns a little oil as well....at least 2 qt's between changes. I usually add one in between. My cruddy dealership stated that it was normal consumption and refused my request for the "free" oil consumption test...but give it a try....

·
Registered
709 Posts
Re: does power train warranty cover the oil loss problem on the mk iv? (vwsteve)

I had the same annoying problem, took mine into the dealership and they filled up my oil, said run 1000 miles and come back. I came back and the dipstick didn't even register. They took my keys and a few days later I had my car back, and has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Re: does power train warranty cover the oil loss problem on the mk iv? (y2k1jetta)

I'm currently on an oil consumption test and after 1100 miles I haven't lost a single drop of oil. Weird cause it was below the hatchmarks after 1000 miles on my last change.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

I had a leak in one of the seals or gaskets or something under there. The leak was pretty slow but I mentioned it to the technician at the dealership and they fixed me right up (well it took 3 days), under warranty.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: does power train warranty cover the oil loss problem on the mk iv? (RHADZ71)

just got off the phone with VofA again and they say no. engine oil consumption is not covered under warranty.....man am i pissed.....she is going to email the specific parts of the engine covered under warranty....
my warranty page, page 7 states that all internal parts of the engine are covered....aren't the seals internal....well it looks like I wont be buying my wife a new toureg....VofA does it again with great customer service...looks like a lexus
when is oil consumption normal for gas engines anyway....is this a new ester egg for the 01 2.0 or just an undocumented feature

i wish i would of known..... 2 1/2 quarts added yesterday....

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Try another dealer. Some people here have gotten a new engine or at least new rings and gaskets and stuff. I have a 2000 Golf that is 1 year out of B2B, but I have 10 years for powertrain and my dealer, McKenna in Norwalk will cover it if I lose oil which it doesn't seem to want to now
I agree with you. VW is not helping themselves with their bottom notch service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts