VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the spelling- Reault= Renault.
Got into an argument with a friend today. I told him that I thought Renault owned Nissan, but he said they just had a "sunstantial" amount of stock in them, and that Renault did not have any "controlling power" over Nissan.
Can someone settle this. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Re: Does Reault have "controlling power" over Nissan? (Brett92)

Yes they do.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts

now that's a good question. i thought that they did in fact.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Does Reault have "controlling power" over Nissan? (spidy)

Thanks Spidy, but I couldn't find any documents that backed that up. Did you know of any?

·
Banned
4,566 Posts

The Nissan Platina (sold in Mexico) and Renault Clio share the same platform and some sheet metal. I guess that explains it, lol.

G

·

Renault owns 44% of Nissan. Under wierd Japanese law, it only takes 34% ownership of a company to take control. So yes, Renault does in effect own and control Nissan.
That said, two things:
1) Nissan does in turn own a large chunk of Renault. However, it does not own enough under French laws to actually control the company.
2) While Renault does control Nissan, the relationship is far more convivial than a standard ownership arrangement. Renault came in not as an overlord, but a partner, and that's what makes the relationship work so well. It's arguably the most successful such takeover in the auto business ever (only Ford's ownership of Volvo even compares), and the model on how to do things.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Does Reault have "controlling power" over Nissan? (bgluckman)

Wow!, Thanks bguckman. You all wouldn't know where to search to find that japenese ownership law. I have to have proof to win this argument, and alot is at stake ($5).

·
Banned
2,824 Posts

I just hope that Renault's control of Nissan means we'll get a version of the Clio V6 in the US. Call it a Sunny GTI-R

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Re: Does Reault have "controlling power" over Nissan? (4RCD3S4)

considering that the french designed most of nissan's new cars and engines...i'd say so

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »
Under wierd Japanese law, it only takes 34% ownership of a company to take control.

weird!!! so what if two companies each have a 34% stake? do they duke it out with samurai sword wielding robots?

Modified by jli585 at 2:16 AM 5-19-2004

G

·
Re: Does Reault have "controlling power" over Nissan? (jli585)

Quote, originally posted by jli585 »
weird!!! so what if two companies each have a 34% stake? do they duke it out with samurai sword weilding robots?

Actually, I think only one is allowed control...I'm not sure how that works.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »
Renault owns 44% of Nissan. Under wierd Japanese law, it only takes 34% ownership of a company to take control. So yes, Renault does in effect own and control Nissan.

For large publicly-traded companies (like a lot of car companies), owning 20-30% of the company can be a "controlling stake" in the company from a practical standpoint, because most publicly held companies have a broadly dispersed stockholder base, most of whom never send in their proxies and never vote.
That's why GM, which holds like 20% of Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru's parent company) can strongarm Subaru against its will to produce the Saab 9-2x.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Does Reault have "controlling power" over Nissan? (HarryHood)

Thanks everybody for the replies, but still even at 44%, doesn't that mean that the other 56% of the company can reject what the 44% wants? Someone please explain because to be honest, I know nothing about how corporations are ran.
Basically, is there a document out there, that says Renault has a "controlling interest" in Nissan?

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Re: Does Reault have "controlling power" over Nissan? (Sheynk)

Quote, originally posted by Sheynk »
considering that the french designed most of nissan's new cars and engines...i'd say so

That's not true. Most of the engines were in development stage before Nissan took over.
The VQ started development in the early 90s. And it's technology has been used in the V8s and 4-cyl.
As for hte cars, I believe Nissan can use Renault's design houses if they want...and possibly share manpower, but I doubt the cars are designed by Renualt themselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts