VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have heard good things about SeaFoam cleaning out engine waste. Does it work with VW? How exactly do you use it on the VW, specifically, my 2008 VW Passat 2.0T BPY?
Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Matt, it depends where you put it. if you put it in the fuel tank then all the seafoam will clean are the injectors and cylinders. valves and carbon build up wont be cleaned because our engines are direct injected.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
20,818 Posts
no. Doesn't work that well on FSI (TSI, TFSI) engines.

Not worth spending the money on a can of seafoam, as it barely makes a dent in the deposits.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts

Not worth spending the money on a can of seafoam, as it barely makes a dent in the deposits.
x2

only way to really clean out the intake valve deposits is manually

·
Registered
86 Posts
:)

55000 km, time for some engine cleaning.

Couldn't find seafoam, so I got STP multipurpose motor treatment .

I search the net and coudln't find anyone using STP on a 2.0T VW or at least using it directly at the engine and not at the fuel tank.

so anyways, I may be the first person to post this using STP.

I used my boost gauge vacuum hose, which is a good idea instead of removing the intake sensor.

filled the 3/4 of the cup with STP liquid

and started the process

i was surprised to see also smoke in the engine bay, maybe i have a downpipe leak

as recommended, i shut down the car for 5 mins, started again, rev'd a bit. took it for some hard driving. I got an "EPC" code and engine seemed like misfiring or something.

I shut off the car again, re-started. code disappeared. rev'd a bit more this time. then drove again until the white smoke was gone.

car felt great :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm always weary about any of those snake oil products, claiming a miraculous result. In most cases, they do more long term harm than anything else. The best thing is a manual cleaning method, whether you scrape the deposits off or blast it with walnut shells.

Seafoam with give you a smoke show, nothing more.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I'm always weary about any of those snake oil products, claiming a miraculous result. In most cases, they do more long term harm than anything else. The best thing is a manual cleaning method, whether you scrape the deposits off or blast it with walnut shells.

Seafoam with give you a smoke show, nothing more.
I agree. I don't think it works on any vehicles. Placebo at most. All of that "stuff" blowing out of the exhaust is likely the chemical burning.

Those parts jockeys are good at pushing that **** at advance auto.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I agree. I don't think it works on any vehicles. Placebo at most. All of that "stuff" blowing out of the exhaust is likely the chemical burning.

Those parts jockeys are good at pushing that **** at advance auto.
X2 i sea foamed my car a couple times and then a 3rd time right before i manually cleaned my vlaves and there was no difference in carbon build up. I still had a ton of mush and rock hard carbon.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
What? That makes absolutely no sense

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Basically ur leaving exhaust valves dirty as u would leave backside if u only washed ur face. Plus u can use seafoam or any other liquid solvent to soak valves and loosen the deposits then u can use compressed air to clean valves. Scrapping dry valves. Isnt the only way to clean valves. Sucking seafoam thru intake causes a similar effect. It softens deposits and intake charge blows it thru the engine. One downside. The deposits often land inside downpipe and cause a lil smoking until the deposits a fully burnt off.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Basically ur leaving exhaust valves dirty as u would leave backside if u only washed ur face. Plus u can use seafoam or any other liquid solvent to soak valves and loosen the deposits then u can use compressed air to clean valves. Scrapping dry valves. Isnt the only way to clean valves. Sucking seafoam thru intake causes a similar effect. It softens deposits and intake charge blows it thru the engine. One downside. The deposits often land inside downpipe and cause a lil smoking until the deposits a fully burnt off.
No its not suffice enough. Do some searching, seafoam does not soften the baked on carbon. Unless you've manually cleaned them you have no idea how much like concrete its like. Soaking them in carb cleaner helps by u still need a wire brush to really clean things up. The best and easiest way it to walnut media blast them

And the exhaust valves have nothing to do woth the air fuel mixture so there is no reason to clean them. Like i said i used seafoam 3x and it did nothing. my vlaves and valves that have never had a seafoam treatment looked the same. And i did it at 15k or so intervals and the day before i cleaned my valves.

The smoke you see is from the chemicals in the seafoam, very little of that is anything of benefit to the car.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
No its not suffice enough. Do some searching, seafoam does not soften the baked on carbon. Unless you've manually cleaned them you have no idea how much like concrete its like. Soaking them in carb cleaner helps by u still need a wire brush to really clean things up. The best and easiest way it to walnut media blast them

And the exhaust valves have nothing to do woth the air fuel mixture so there is no reason to clean them. Like i said i used seafoam 3x and it did nothing. my vlaves and valves that have never had a seafoam treatment looked the same. And i did it at 15k or so intervals and the day before i cleaned my valves.

The smoke you see is from the chemicals in the seafoam, very little of that is anything of benefit to the car.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
This x1000.

Fyi....I wash/scrub my face daily, but leave my ass alone. Thats what TP is for. Jus sayin......

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
there's no reason to clean the valves manually. unless they're no seating properly. so you clean valves manually. this is to let more air in. (more air in, means more air out). same principle applies. so if you cleaned your exhaust valves. means you can have a better a exhaust flow.and if you scrape the top of the pistons.you can have even more air in.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
there's no reason to clean the valves manually. unless they're no seating properly. so you clean valves manually. this is to let more air in. (more air in, means more air out). same principle applies. so if you cleaned your exhaust valves. means you can have a better a exhaust flow.and if you scrape the top of the pistons.you can have even more air in.
Please pull ur exhaust mani and show us all the build up on the exhaust valves.

Guess what it will have nothing......... Ask me how i know that..... Hmm oh thats right ive done it.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about the intake valve cleaning is bc the air fuel mixture is going to be effected by the carbon..... Hence people getting misfires due to the carbon build up. You're basically telling us that well know knowledge that is out there is all wrong. Search in the 2.0t fsi forum or golf mkv and expand your knowledge on this motor.

You just contradicted yourself. Keep going and I'll point out your other logical flaws.
Lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Registered
'21 Ranger Tremor, '19 MX-5 Club BBR, '21 Ducati Hypermotard
41,770 Posts

x2

only way to really clean out the intake valve deposits is manually

Buy that. Use it a full tank before each oil change.

MB and BMW recommends it.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I got my wagon with 69000 its @91k im hoping to keep it another 5 years. I do all preventive maintenance. I seafoam twice yearly i do not plan to clean valves manually. I dont feel its worth the effort. May be if it was a 8 second car. Where every liitle bit counts, i might. For a commuter car, my apr 2+ wagon or my vr6 cc. Unless the valves start to stick or not seat properly they're not getting done. Ive seen plenty of engine internals. I've installed plenty of heads on plenty of fuel injected cars. Direct injection not so much. But even in 2013 the combustion cycle & basic operating principles of an engine remain the same. I dont think you can sell me on manually cleaning valves. Bent over in front of the car for 2-3 hours versus removing head and having head on work bench.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I got my wagon with 69000 its @91k im hoping to keep it another 5 years. I do all preventive maintenance. I seafoam twice yearly i do not plan to clean valves manually. I dont feel its worth the effort. May be if it was a 8 second car. Where every liitle bit counts, i might. For a commuter car, my apr 2+ wagon or my vr6 cc. Unless the valves start to stick or not seat properly they're not getting done. Ive seen plenty of engine internals. I've installed plenty of heads on plenty of fuel injected cars. Direct injection not so much. But even in 2013 the combustion cycle & basic operating principles of an engine remain the same. I dont think you can sell me on manually cleaning valves. Bent over in front of the car for 2-3 hours versus removing head and having head on work bench.
You just showed us your knowledge level, therefore, your argument/opinion is invalid. When you start having misfires, go ahead and go through the trouble of pulling the head and manually cleaning it.

P.S. You owe me a 10 second car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts