VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I got my wagon with 69000 its @91k im hoping to keep it another 5 years. I do all preventive maintenance. I seafoam twice yearly i do not plan to clean valves manually. I dont feel its worth the effort. May be if it was a 8 second car. Where every liitle bit counts, i might. For a commuter car, my apr 2+ wagon or my vr6 cc. Unless the valves start to stick or not seat properly they're not getting done. Ive seen plenty of engine internals. I've installed plenty of heads on plenty of fuel injected cars. Direct injection not so much. But even in 2013 the combustion cycle & basic operating principles of an engine remain the same. I dont think you can sell me on manually cleaning valves. Bent over in front of the car for 2-3 hours versus removing head and having head on work bench.

Thats like saying the cam follower shouldnt be checked as a wear item.........

Again its well known knowledge, and readily available that the valves need to be manually cleaned. Either by scraping or media blasting.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
20,816 Posts

Buy that. Use it a full tank before each oil change.

MB and BMW recommends it.
...and Hyundai (since their stuff is relabeled Techron)

But, it's not going to do anything for the intake valves.

It will clean out the combustion chamber though.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The design of direct injection cannot effectively take advantage of Seafoam. Seafoam works great to clean fuel tanks of deposits in most vehicles and most old style vehicle valve systems can take advantage of it's cleaning properties. Seafoam must atomize and burn to clean off deposits. Basically, the time of intake vs. fuel injection to burn is not optimal for Seafoam in direct injection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection

·
Registered
414 Posts
The Seafoam in direct injection engines will not clean anything on the intake if added to the fuel tank. It will clean the guts of the injection system, if anything. If used on the intake, it will probably "wash" a small insignificant part of the oil/carbon deposit, but I don't think it will make a visible dent... I think the smoke on the guy that did it is indeed oil/carbon deposit "washed" by the seafoam, but that's because in the intake of a normal engine there is a lof of oil (not the rock hard deposit on the valves) that gets diluted fast by the seafoam (or any cleaner like that). That oil comes from the PCV system. The Seafoam just cleaned the oily film inside the intake tract, IMO. There is not enough time/contact for the seafoam to clean the carbon build up. Cleaning the exhaust with seafoam doesn't make sense, the seafoam burned already and it's just hot gas on the exhaust, exactly like gas. If you don't clean the exhaust valves when you are burning thousands of gallons of fuel, why would you clean it in 10 seconds burning a few ounces?! Sure, the commercials on TV with animation showing all kind of miraculous cleaning show different thing. I don't believe them.
Just my 0.02.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You just showed us your knowledge level, therefore, your argument/opinion is invalid. When you start having misfires, go ahead and go through the trouble of pulling the head and manually cleaning it.

P.S. You owe me a 10 second car.
Under 10,000 ( i believe at 3,000 ) I had a misfire (2020 tiguan) not using any product off the lot.
I want to make sure my tiggy lasts a long time and I want to make sure I give it the TLC that it needs. i drive a lot in times of summer.
should I be using sea foam? Do I ask the dealership to clean the valves and heads manually?
It currently has 17,000 km and has had one oil change so far.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts