VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
27,581 Posts
Size of what exactly?
Are we talking overall vehicle size? Engine size? Wheel size?
Assuming you're talking about overall vehicle size, then I'd say yes, and it always will. Americans have 2.3 kids, and like to take road trips. It's unlikely the average American family will stuff themselves into a compact anytime soon, unless fuel prices absolutely force them to.

· Registered
3,570 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Salty VW »
I think the answer is an obvious yes. There's a larger percentage of Americans that will likely always drive the largest vehicle they can afford.

The biggest difference between the Canadian market and the US market: US buys the most it can get for it's money, CAN buys the best it can get for it's money. Gross overstatement but large-truck/small-car sales numbers are there.

· Registered
2015 VW GTI SE
20,457 Posts
Yes size matters, but the best-selling cars are mid-sized sedans that can pretty much match their smaller stablemates in MPGs. Other than price, why choose a 4 cylinder Sentra over a 4 cylinder Altima? Even big pick-ups, with V8 engines offer similar or superior MPGs when compared to their smaller compact/mid-sized cousins.

· Registered
15,008 Posts
Re: (Salty VW)

Quote, originally posted by Salty VW »
I think the answer is an obvious yes. There's a larger percentage of Americans that will likely always want their monies worth by thinking larger is better.

FTFY

· Registered
789 Posts
Re: (whitejeep1989)

Quote, originally posted by whitejeep1989 »
Yes size matters, but the best-selling cars are mid-sized sedans that can pretty much match their smaller stablemates in MPGs. Other than price, why choose a 4 cylinder Sentra over a 4 cylinder Altima? Even big pick-ups, with V8 engines offer similar or superior MPGs when compared to their smaller compact/mid-sized cousins.

Very true about larger pick-ups and SUVs getting similar rated mpg as their mid-sized siblings. I think the main difference there is initial purchase price, and possibly real-world city mileage is probably a little less in a bigger truck/SUV.

· Registered
7,799 Posts
Re: (dieselraver)

Quote, originally posted by VR6ix »

The biggest difference between the Canadian market and the US market: US buys the most it can get for it's money, CAN buys the best it can get for it's money. Gross overstatement but large-truck/small-car sales numbers are there.

Quote, originally posted by dieselraver »

I think the answer is an obvious yes. There's a larger percentage of Americans that will likely always want their monies worth by thinking larger is better.

Great ways of putting it. A lot of folks do the same thing with age. They'd rather buy a brand new bottom end Kia than say a used Honda, Toyota, or VW with 30K on the clock.

· Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
30,098 Posts

FTFY

That kid has meat sleves. Jesus, I wonder what his parents are thinking, or his doctors when he goes in for a checkup.

· Registered
'18 BRZ
9,269 Posts
I think it's absolutely true, size does matter. My mom drives around BY HERSELF all the time in her 20mpg Volvo XC90. She has no need for a 7 seater, nor the cargo space the car provides. She's told me she's considered getting a small, fun car, or even a hybrid sedan, but one thing she really likes about her SUV is sitting up high and seeing over everyone else.
She could get better mileage in a car that's just as luxurious and holds 5 adults, or with something that's sportier, more fun, and easier to park, but she's stuck on the "safety" of being able to see over everyone else. sigh.

Modified by hushypushy at 4:08 PM 3-23-2010

· Registered
1,191 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

That kid has meat sleves. Jesus, I wonder what his parents are thinking, or his doctors when he goes in for a checkup.

· Registered
3,014 Posts

FTFY

Dear God!! I hope that picture is fake... That's just disgusting.

· Registered
6,425 Posts
Re: (hushypushy)

Quote, originally posted by hushypushy »

She could get better mileage in a car that's just as luxurious and holds 5 adults, or with something that's sportier, more fun, and easier to park, but she's stuck on the "safety" of being able to see over everyone else. sigh.

Modified by hushypushy at 4:08 PM 3-23-2010

And this is why I have no respect for the average SUV driver. If they just used common sense, they wouldn't have to ride around in a Roman Chariot to see 2 cars ahead of them.
No offense to your mom, there are lots of well meaning people that can't see the irony in driving a tall car to be able to see ahead.

· Registered
7,799 Posts
Re: (hushypushy)

Quote, originally posted by hushypushy »
...but one thing she really likes about her SUV is sitting up high and seeing over everyone else.
...but she's stuck on the "safety" of being able to see (or roll) over everyone else. sigh.

This seems to be a very common response. It's probably the one and only thing I like about driving trucks / SUV's. Everything else is a loss IMO compared to a compact or midsize car.
It reminds of of how animals like to get up on mounds, rocks, dog houses, beds, etc.

Modified by Salty VW at 4:42 PM 3-23-2010

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.