VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the stuff you're supposed to add to your fuel tank every time you change your oil. Well I bought a bottle fo the stuff ($5.00) and put it in the tank. I think I can notice a slight difference, but I'm not sure if it's just wishful thinking.
The VW owners mannual says that carbon deposits on the valves and fuel injectors can be a problem so I though it might be a good idea to try it. Although the mannual doesn't go so far as recommending any one brand. I figured it couldn't hurt.
Does it really work? Anyone else tried it?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: Does STP fuel injector cleaner really work? (converted_vw)

It is not a great thing but it does work some. I have run it on different cars from time to time.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Re: Does STP fuel injector cleaner really work? (hawc)

I was repeatedly told by different people that premium, higher octane blends of gas already have all those detergents. Thus, STP injector cleaner is only necessary if you're only running on lowest-grade fuel all the time.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

Yes, hawc. Fuel injector cleaner is a must if you want your engine to run well in the long term. You may not feel that much difference, but you don't have that many miles on your car. What you are doing is preventative maintenance so that you won't end up losing power and drivability due to clogged injectors and dirty intake valves. Remember: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
You should remember to get Concentrated (or super concentrated, one-shot formula, etc. depending on the marketing hype the company wishes to use) so that you only need to add it every oil change unlike the less concentrated stuff which needs to be added to every tank.
There is also the STP Fuel System Treatment (and Slick 50, Dura Lube, etc.). These fuel system treatments cost $15-20 CDN a bottle and last for 10-15,000 km. Since they're expensive, I usually wait until they go on sale.
I alternate between the regular fuel *injector* cleaner and the fuel *system* cleaners, although there probably isn't a big difference -- just so long as you use something to keep your injectors and intake valves clean!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: synthetic oil and fuel injector cleaner are two things you should use religiously to keep your engine healthy.

[Modified by catalytic, 10:15 PM 6-4-2002]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: Does STP fuel injector cleaner really work? (catalytic)

some lube place told me to add 2 full bottle and to do it before oil change. not after. that way when the chemicals loosen up particles it dosnt get mixed up with fresh oil. so i been doing it tankfull before my oil change.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: Does STP fuel injector cleaner really work? (Mi-4 SpeedO)

Ah, yes. Good point. I almost forgot. You are correct. Add the fuel injector cleaner at least one tankful of gas before you change your oil.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,092 Posts
Re: Does STP fuel injector cleaner really work? (catalytic)

quote:[HR][/HR](and Slick 50, Dura Lube, etc.). [HR][/HR]​
A good buddy I had in college told me his uncle used Slick50 and the company that puts it out had to buy him a new engine, cause his original engine seized. Don't remember the car type so this info might be useless.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: Does STP fuel injector cleaner really work? (Hostile)

Yeah, the Slick 50 and Dura Lube PTFE style *engine* treatment additives that go in the crankcase are sh*t. But they are not to be confused with their good *fuel* system cleaners that you pour in the gas tank.

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: Does STP fuel injector cleaner really work? (gorilla800lbs)

quote:[HR][/HR]I was repeatedly told by different people that premium, higher octane blends of gas already have all those detergents. Thus, STP injector cleaner is only necessary if you're only running on lowest-grade fuel all the time.[HR][/HR]​
But using premium in your 2.0L is a waste of money anyway. Aside from costing you more initially, it will cost more in the long term also.
Because, higher octanes don't burn as quickly as the lower ones. You don't burn completely, it leaves more deposits will become carbon deposits and build up in combustion chamber. This effective increases compression.
The effect is, when you decide to go back to regular, it will ping and knock all the time. THe temporary cure is using premium. THe only way to go back to using regular is by getting a decarburization treatment done (or two cans of BG 44K), which can cost anywhere from $100 to $200.
ALthough you can safely use premium gas, if you advance the timing to compensate for the characteristic of premium fuel, and you'll gain some power also.

·
Registered
76 Posts

I don't know exactly how well STP, Slick 50, etc. works, but I've been using Techron by Chevron since my first oil change. I actually asked the service manager and one of the techs when I went in to get it changed. This was #1 on their list. (I even asked them at different times and they came up with the same answer.) I've been putting in one of the big bottles in before each oil change, and it really makes a difference. Fuel economy goes up instantly after the oil change/additive. My car purrs like a little kitten afterwards. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
548 Posts
Re: Does STP fuel injector cleaner really work? (IAJetta)

like catalytic said, don't confuse fuel system cleaners that work with engine oil additives that go in your crank case.
here is some really intersting information that puts a very bad light on oil additives: prolong, slick 50,duralube, motul, z-max
http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/additives.html

[Modified by c1gti, 7:59 PM 6-5-2002]

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

converted_vw, thanks for good info.
I am not using premium continuously -- only about each 4th or 5th gassing. Since I never run lower than 1/3 of tank before I refuel, thus I end up with a sort of "plus"/"premium" blend. The reason I use premium at all is exactly those additives and detergents which they do not add (or add less) to "regular" and "plus".
At any rate, I thought that our ECUs are capable of adopting to the fuel, and the program adjusts intake, injection and ignition timings according to the richness. Apparently, from what you're saying, it is not completely true
Can you please explain more on that? I am sure missing some other pieces of the picture.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: Does STP fuel injector cleaner really work? (gorilla800lbs)

Indeed, so the 2.0 does not advance the timing enough to make it worthwhile. The stock programming just does not have that capaibility. If you had a 1.8T or VR6, the knock sensing capabilities would allow the car engine to take advantage of the increased octane to advance the timing to run at full power, or they can run 87 octane at 90% power by reducing the timing.
The difference is that they were designed to take advantage of 91 octane. The 2.0 was not. Maybe if you had a Neuspeed or other chip that has been programmed for power, but stock... don't bother.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

Wow, that's one great article for me, thanks a lot!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
I use Chevron Techron... how about that? Feedbacks? I put one in each month; I put log 2000-3000 miles a month. Am I on overkill if I use a bottle/2000-3000 miles or once a month?
What other chemicals should I think about using?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: Does STP fuel injector cleaner really work? (2001Bora)

Chevron Techron is the king. Unfortunately, they don't sell Chevron in Canda (except for parts of BC, I think).

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]THe only way to go back to using regular is by getting a decarburization treatment done[HR][/HR]​
Speaking of professional decarbonization treatments, there's a thing called the Motorvac that works phenomenally well. They hook your car up to this little machine and pump your fuel system full of detergent. Takes about an hour. I had it done on my old Civic, and I think it was ~$120. But short of a rebuild, it's the best way to clean your fuel system and cc.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts

I use redline fuel system cleaner.I payed $5.00 for a 15 ounce bottle. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 25 Posts