VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I just saw a 2002 that the rear hatch was just an emblem, not a handle/etc. Did I see that correctly? I want to shave the back emblem and it is a tough job on a 2001. I might get a 2002 rear hatch and do it. anyone know?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Re: does the 2002 rear emblem not open the hatch? (davreid)

davreid,
You are correct in that the rear emblem on a 2002 doesn't open the hatch. The emblem is just stuck on I believe. As for if there is a hole under that I can't say. But if you plan on getting a 2002 hatch your looking at about $300.00 for just the hatch without glass. Just so you know.
Later,
Eddie aka Birdman (Owner of 1 BAD NB)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: does the 2002 rear emblem not open the hatch? (1 BAD NB)

Thanks Bad.
I have a 1.8T. Is it still $300 for the Hatch? Then body/paint. I was talking by email with Paul Iozzio over on NB.org. He shimmed and shaved his 2001 1.8t. The new pics he posted of his killer tomato look great. I just wish I was closer to Kansas so I didn't have shipping charges. Since you are so close to SD , do you know anywhere that does body work such as that in SD or south OC?
Look at the body work this guy does.......Amazing! Wish I was closer!
http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?threadid=8494

[Modified by davreid, 7:58 PM 8-1-2002]

·
Registered
354 Posts
Re: does the 2002 rear emblem not open the hatch? (davreid)

I think that was about the price range for a 1.8T hatch. I'm not that close to SD but you can check with any of the better body shops in your area and I'm sure they will do the work for ya. Just ask around.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Later,
Eddie aka Birdman (Owner of 1 BAD NB)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Re: does the 2002 rear emblem not open the hatch? (1 BAD NB)

quote:[HR][/HR]I think that was about the price range for a 1.8T hatch.[HR][/HR]​
A bit off topic, but that auto-deploy spoiler is part of the hatch right? If so, do you think it is possible to retrofit that whole piece onto a non-1.8T car. I would think the ECU for 2.0s and TDIs would not recognize the spoiler and either it would not work or it would mess things up

And, yeah, I have an '02 with the new emblems and I like it... I never ever used the hatch lever on my previous dub

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: does the 2002 rear emblem not open the hatch? (Projekt-Chick)

Yep, the only keyhole on the 2002's is on the driver's side door handle. The rear hatch can still be opened from the driver's door hatch switch or the key fob. I have a 2001 GLX and while I love the chunky look of the "Hatch-pull emblem" I have to say that I have only used it once so far.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Re: does the 2002 rear emblem not open the hatch? (Turbobug)

I have a 2002 Turbo S with no keyhole on the hatch. It sucks cause I've been having problems with my battery dying and when it's completely dead, it (obviously) doesn't want to open the hatch.........

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Re: does the 2002 rear emblem not open the hatch? (MARCOS VELASCO)

quote:[HR][/HR]Perhaps it is because my NB is an early 2002 model.
[HR][/HR]​
I believe it was a running change... (hey Marcos, joined the Vortex too eh?
)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Re: does the 2002 rear emblem not open the hatch? (ASurroca)

My 2002 that I brought home on November 1st has the new emblems and no latch. I hate it. I ended up changing out the emblems for "old" emblems so I could do Nate's inserts in them.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Re: does the 2002 rear emblem not open the hatch? (Anna)

Heh, I actually have a set of Euro emblems that I never installed on my current Beetle because I actually rather liked the new embelms
How'd you get the old emblems on Anna?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Re: does the 2002 rear emblem not open the hatch? (ASurroca)

The front emblem was easy since the old emblem just sticks on with no holes or anything. The back emblem took about an hour of grinding to get the post off. Once that's done, it's just a question of 3M double sticky tape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts