VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, now i say that the classic road-trip game of "punchbuggy" or "Slug-a-bug" applies only to the old rear-engined Beetles. my wife says that you can get punches for the New Beetles also.
so i thought "ok, i'll ask the vortex and see what they say!"
do you get to punch people for New Beetles...

or only rear-engined ones?

obin

· Registered
905 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (Obin Robinson)

Personally, I don't play the game, but am of the firm belief that it should only be valid for the old beetles. From my experiences as the catalyst of many a round of punchbug, I get the feeling that most of the general public agrees with me. Each lap around the block of scenic downtown State College ignites an flurry of rapid blows, jabs, and punches when driving the '63, yet, I never see the same effect when driving a New Beetle, or watching a NB drive by.

Modified by 3liter914-6 at 7:12 PM 7-17-2003

· Registered
'22 Maverick. '03 9-3, '67 Fairlady
23,723 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (Obin Robinson)

I go by the old school methods of the original. After all, its not punchnewbuggy.

· Registered
5,226 Posts

LOL! Great question.
While my husband and I don't play "punchbuggy", we do call beetles (old and new). On road trips (like when we've driven from NJ to TX) we get one point for any beetle called. At the end we add up the points and the winner gets bragging rights - for whatever it's worth.
My husband says it isn't fair because I have beetle radar. I can sense one coming from a mile off.

· Registered
6,596 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (LelloBeetle)

You should only be allowed punches for the old bettles. They are more rare and that is why you are allowed to punch someone when you see one.

· Registered
905 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (LelloBeetle)

Quote, originally posted by LelloBeetle »

My husband says it isn't fair because I have beetle radar. I can sense one coming from a mile off.

Coincidentally, whenever I see the game of punchbug ressurected, it's usually the girlfriend/wife slugging her very surprised SO.
Obin, with the numbers of NBs littering the highways and byways of America, it sounds like Jess is just looking for more chances to slap your ass silly. I think your only chance is to hone your NB spotting reflexes, punchbuggying her into submission until she concedes that maybe just using aircooleds would be an acceptable alternative.

· Registered
5,677 Posts

There's too many NB's around and it would get old after a while. Me and my friends already made that decision when the NB's came out.

· Registered
4,701 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (anarchyx34)

weird, we call it slug-bug. we do use new beetles though. around here most of the aircooled ones rusted to nothing years ago.

G

·

Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »

Tatra!
Brian, who's easily distracted

· Registered
905 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (mmgti)

we're dropping pics? well why didn't anyone let me know?
my '63, responsible for bruised arms throughout the Happy Valley:

The 54 back from the paint shop, now awaiting my return so I can install the Judson supercharger that's been sitting in a box for the last year.

Modified by 3liter914-6 at 9:00 PM 7-17-2003

· Registered
5,226 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (3liter914-6)

That's a gorgeous example, 3liter914-6. I like a clean looking bug, myself.

· Banned
25,588 Posts

Of all 'road-games' out there, none is more ridiculous and lame than 'slugbug' or 'punchbuggy'. I mean, wtf is the point?
My sisters used to do this on roadtrips when we were all younger and it drove me nuts. If it applied to New Beetles as well, I think participants would have bruises for life.

· Registered
905 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (mmgti)

Quote, originally posted by mmgti »
Judson Supercharger?
Gotta love oldschool performance pieces

Yup, I'm excited. I figure with the Judson bolted on, and the Marvel Mystery Oiler topped up, I should be putting over 40hp to the rear wheels. Probably going to have to fit some beefier rubber to put it all down to the ground.

· Registered
3,273 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (3liter914-6)

i've been in the same predicament for the last few years.
my brother and i have sworn out New Beetles out of the game of SlugBug. but my gf insist on playing them (because she knows i know where all the aircooleds are).
now that i've sworn them off, my gf gets all cocky because she thinks she is winning. but really, i dont care about all the NB's i see, so i dont think to play them.
i think she will eventually give in and disallow NB's from the game. i am gonna have to show her this poll.
by the way, she hits me hard while i barely touch her, damn double standards.
obin, funny you brought it up. i didnt think any sane grown adults played other that my gf and friends.
my parents banned this game in the car long time ago, because there was too much controversy and punching going on in back of the car.
when i was about 19, we used to play this constantly when driving around with friends. being some of my friends didnt understand VW's i had to modify the rules to fit our style of game.
here are some of the rules we made
(one at a time, as we seen fit to change them):
1. score is good for one week.
2. week starts on thursday (we made this rule, on account all three of us worked at pizza hut, and paycheck week started and ended on thursday).
3. bug must have at least 3 fenders, and 3 tires on it to count.
4. color does not have to be annouced (as it is regular to do in other geographic regions), but "SLUGBUG" has to be said while slug is being made, or does not count. first person to say it loud enough to hear, and make contact with sluggee gets point.
5. same bug parked in same place, must not be called more than once per day.
if bug is on the move, then it may be called more than once a day (because you cant be quite sure if its the same one from a distance).
6. if sluggee doesnt quite believe the Slugger saw a bug, there may be a challenge,
in instance of challenge, driver must turn around and go find said car. if car doesnt exist, then sluggee may punch slugger twice next bug, if he/she calles it first.
7. and most of all, NO caddilac WACK, and no DODGE this. only slugbug.
*. NO VW DEALERS, OR VW REPAIR SHOP. because it was getting old punching like crazy whenever we passed the same shop.
there are a few more, but its easy for me to remember, since i made most of them (to suit our game that is).
about 10 years ago, i noticed a book being sold in a vw magazine. it was called "the official SLUGBUG rule Book". my gf of the time ordered the book for me, but it never arrived. i am kinda glad it didnt, because i knew its rules would contridict my rules.

· Registered
‘21 SQ5 & ‘16 Golf R
51,487 Posts

No New Beetles for Punchbuggy. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
For our friends in South America, do the new, old beetles count?

· Registered
30 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (Hostile)

Quote, originally posted by Hostile »
No New Beetles for Punchbuggy. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
For our friends in South America, do the new, old beetles count?

By te time I played that game, no NB had arrived here yet, so it was only about the classic ones. I had never thought about punchbugging when seeing a new one, but IMO it should be only with the old ones. In spite of being so few old beetles, there are even fewer NBs around here.

· Banned
8,913 Posts
Re: does the game "punchbuggy" apply to new Beetles, or only old ones? (SpeedMan)

Ok, This was a topic with my wife and stepson last year, so I looked up the "rules" online, and found them, as well as a sort of history of the "game." And it turns out, some allow New Beetles and some don't. The main issue is, as was noted above, where in the world you are, as to how common either is.
The "game" was invented back when old Beetles were still quite common, so ruling out New Beetles for being common doesn't really make sense. And now with Old Beetles being fairly rare on at least the east coast, adding New Beetles to the mix does seem a logical move. The difference is in scoring, as Old beetles have moved to the "double punch" category, with Ghias and Convertibles moving to "triple punch" status...
Quote »
RULE 1: Old beetles/new beetles. First and foremost, Punch Buggy started with the old beetles but they are becoming very rare. All the buddies I used to play the game with hit on the new ones now, but they are either worth one hit point, (or you can't hit your buddy as hard.) The old ones are worth two hit points. See Rule 2
It just ain't the same with the new ones.
Note: I heard they argued about the punch buggy rules on the Anna Nicole Smith Show. HEY ANNA, I got a big news flash for you, the game is gonna become extinct! Sometimes ya just gotta adapt a little bit, and really, this is a small change. I don't like it either, but if we didn't do this, we'd never get to play anymore. Look at it this way, at least we didn't have to change the type of car we play with, VW just made more new ones!! Basically a VW Beetle is a VW Beetle!
RULE 2: Calling a punch properly. To call a punch, you hit 'em, say Punch Buggy, the color of the 'bug' and no returns. (NOTE: You have to specify an 'old' bug, but not a new bug. You also have to state if it's a convertible, but not a Hard top. You can also say 'Rag-top' instead of convertible.)
So let's say a red convertible passes, you'd yell: "Punch buggy, red convertible, no returns. If ya call the wrong color, not state it's a convertible or not specify no returns, prepare to get smacked back. If it's an old convertible bug you'd say:" old Punch buggy, red convertible, no returns.
Yeah, it's a bit of a mouthful, but it's worth three hits.
If three of you are in the car, YOU only need to call it once and you can hit 'em both. Of the two remaining people, one has gotta call a proper punch next to hit the last. You obviously then you can't be hit by by either guy for calling Punch Buggy. If there's a fourth guy then tough luck. If ya didn't hit him when you called a hit, then he's free to hit you. See Rule 3
RULE 3: No Returns. There's a bit of squabbling over the 'No Returns' rule. Number 1: You Can't call 'no returns' if you haven't hit anyone. Hence the words 'NO RETURNS', and 2: You can't hit one guy, call 'No returns' and have it apply to the rest of the people in the car. That will get you labeled as a sissy! If you didn't want to play, then you should have stated that at the beginning. These guys usually end up walking.
RULE 4: On car colors. We've agreed that if it's a two colored bug you can call: both colors, the predominant color or say "Punch Buggy, two-tone..." If it's more than two colors, then calling it: the predominant color (if it has one), multicolored, or psychedelic will work depending on where you live and who hasn't come out of what era!
RULE 5: There is no rule five!
RULE 6: Plain sight. The 'bug' has to be in plain sight, or at least, viewable to everyone. None of this you in the back seat spotting a 'bug' two blocks down a side road partly hidden by other cars. That my friends is a free hit back but only by the people you hit on that pathetic call.
RULE 7: How to call a 'Prove it'. If some who got hit didn't see the bug and they call a 'prove it'. Then if ya go back and the bug IS there, then it's another free hit for you. If you're proven wrong, then the guy you hit gets two hits: one to return your hit, and one for being wrong. If the bug is in motion and you can't turn to follow or find it, Then the honor system has apply here to some degree. Hopefully someone else in the car can speak on your behalf if you get that desperate.
RULE 8: No punching the driver in the head! If he kills you for causing an accident, you only have yourself to blame. We generally keep hits to the shoulders, ribs, chest and the upper legs.

RULE 9: Lots of beetles. OK this a tough area, but if you pass a garage or body shop that specializes in VW beetles, and there's dozens of 'em in the yard, then at least pull over before ya start swinging 'cause it's gonna be a slug fest!! Some of the guys say dealerships and garages are off limits 'cause you don't know ,say, which red bug you hit on. See Rule 10
RULE 10: No hitting on the exact same bug. If you're driving and a bug is in front of you, and you've just called a hit on it, then it turns a corner and you end up behind it again then you can't hit on it again. If you try, then you deserve to get dumped on the side of the road, or at least thrown a beating for being so foolish! Also see Rule 9.
RULE 11: OK guys, if you're at the mushy stage with your girlfriend you can substitute punches for kisses. (Gawd!)
RULE 12: Local beetles. If there is a local bug, say a neighbor has one, or one you know it's gonna be there every day, then you can only hit on it once a day. None of this circling the block to ' Get 'em back!' See Rule 10
RULE 13: Calling a time out. The driver can call 'SAFETY' or 'TIME OUT' if say he's holding a cup of coffee, pulled over reading a map, or getting ready to merge at an on ramp. Anyone else can call a 'time out' if say, they're eating or reading, or just not playing. If the guy who called a time out tries to call Punch Buggy, BEFORE he says 'SAFETY OFF!' or 'TIME BACK IN' then it's a free hit back for anyone he hit.
RULE 14: Out driving. OK, this one also has caused some problems but most of us agree that you have to be out driving before you can call a hit. You can't be calling "Punch Buggy" if you are walking down the street, or in the gas station paying for gas. That won't cut it. Pretty much if you are out of the car and you are at one of any, or the main destination, then the game is stopped. Also, Rule 10 still applies no matter how many stops you make.
RULE 15: On a tie: If two say it about the same time, who hits first, is the one that gets the point. If they've hit you and you were first, then you get a free hit back. A third person in the car can take advantage of the confusion and hit 'em both and call Punch Buggy. See Rule 3
RULE 16: On mass transit: Someone asked me "Can you play Punch Buggy on the bus, LRT or subway?" Sure you can, just don't blame me when people start givin' ya weird looks, or get on their cell phones to see if the local hospital is missing any mental patients! Just remember, if you do, all the rules apply.
Well, there quite simply are the rules and remember, always wear a seat belt!

More: http://www.geocities.com/punchbuggyclub

Modified by Chris V at 6:00 AM 7-18-2003

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.