VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a handsfree kit to support my Motorola GSM phone in my new 2002 Golf, which came from the factory with a Monsoon radio. This is the latest version of the Monsoon radio, the double-height unit with the slot for the CD in it.
The handsfree kit for the phone includes a feature that will send a signal out to suitably equipped car audio system to 'mute' the radio whenever the phone rings. This is accomplished by having the phone system either send a ground or a +12V DC signal to the radio.
Can any of the more experienced members of this forum tell me if the Monsoon radio supports this feature? If so, what is the pinout, or what wire do I need to find on the radio to connect to? Does the radio want a ground or +12V DC to mute?
Any help or insight would be appreciated. Referral to a website or technical publication that provides more detail about this would be great - I would hate to blow up this radio within my first month of ownership!
With thanks, Michael Moore

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Re: Does the new 'Monsoon' Radio have a auto-mute feature? (PanEuropean)

Michael,
I don't know what the pin outs look like on the new unit. On the old units the pin outs per bentley manual were as follows:

Multi-pin connector I, part 1, yellow
1- Line Out rear left, LR
2- Line Out rear right, RR
3- Line Out, earth
4- Line Out front left, LF
5- Line Out front right, RF
6- Switched positive for sound amplifier
Multi-pin connector I, part 2, green
7- Telephone input signal, TEL+
8- Second display, CLOCK
9- Second display, DATA \
10- Second display, ENA
11- Remote control, REM
12- Telephone input signal, TEL-
Multi-pin connector I, part 3, blue
13- CD changer, DATA IN
14- CD changer, DATA OUT
15- CD changer, CLOCK
16- CD changer, terminal 30 voltage supply (+)
17- CD changer, control signal
18- CD changer, left and right channel, earth
19- CD changer, left channel, CD/L
20- CD changer, right channel, CD/R
Multi-pin connector II, -T8a-, 8-pin, brown
1- Loudspeaker + rear right
2- Loudspeaker-rear right
3- Loudspeaker + front right
4- Loudspeaker-front right
5- Loudspeaker + front left
6- Loudspeaker-front left
7- Loudspeaker + rear left
8- Loudspeaker-rear left
Multi-pin connector III, -T8-, 8-pin, black
1- Gala (volume adaptation)
2- Telephone mute circuit
3- Self-diagnosis/K wire
4- Connection for ignition key controlled switching on and off (SU contact)
5- Anti-theft system control signal, SAFE (terminal 30)
6- Illumination (terminal 58b)
7- Battery + (terminal 30)
8- Battery-(terminal 31)
There are some reports that the pin labeled mute is actually not connected to anything inside the stereo. I dont know if that is true or not. I have not tried it on my stereo yet.
Sorry this is not much help...

[Modified by SSheikh, 12:30 AM 11-9-2001]

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Does the new 'Monsoon' Radio have a auto-mute feature? (SSheikh)

SSheikh:
Thanks ever so much, that is really nice of you to provide that info. Its encouraging to see that there are 3 connectors that have something to do with the phone - would be just fantastic if I could wire the thing up so the mute function works, and the phone audio comes through the speakers, as opposed to the dinky little speaker that Motorola supplies with the handsfree kit.
Neither the dealer or I know what to make of this new radio - we weren’t expecting it to be in the car, it was a surprise to both of us (the dealer said it was the first Golf he had seen arrive with one like this). The car now holds 7 CD's - 6 in the changer in the rear, and one in the hole in the front of this radio.
I can't wait to see how well the radio works when it decides to eject the CD when I have a tall decaf low fat latte in the cupholder - my guess is that it will either push the coffee right out of the cupholder, or neatly cut the cup in two. But, looking at the bright side, at least the CD itself will prevent most of the coffee from spilling down the front of the radio...

If there's anyone else out there who can shed a little light on the phone hookup issue - specifically, what kind of power needs to be supplied to these three terminals to make the handsfree adapter work to full potential - please chime in!
Michael

[Modified by PanEuropean, 11:50 PM 11-10-2001]

·
Registered
128 Posts

I have not yet tried the MUTE pin on Da Wife's '01.5 Passat w/Monsoon. The agreed-upon functions within the Industry are that car kits pull the MUTE line to signal ground during a call. Connecting that line to any MUTE input on a radio and thus pulling that input also to signal ground mutes the HU audio and pauses the CD where it was playing. Often, HUs show the word "INTERRUPT" and/or a phone symbol on the LCD display during the MUTE period.
Connecting the Line Level audio output of the Moto car kit to the TEL + and TEL - inputs would likely play cell phone audio through either all or just one front passenger door speaker. Those inputs likely become live only when the MUTE line and function are invoked during a cell phone call. On this Forum, someone noted that their TEL lines were not live in their Monsoon HU, leading to the speculation that some software or programming might have to be active to have these pins do anything. Someone else reported that there were no internal connections in his HU to these TEL + and TEL - lines.
Besides being true in actual practice on most Euro HUs, what I mention above is all in accordance with the German Industry "VDA" spec to which VW adheres. However, the Wife doesn't yet want a car kit in her new Passat so some further investigation is necessary...

For nice mounts, see the Kuda Website: http://www.kuda.de
If you're adept with electronics, you can go the route I did in another vehicle. Have the MUTE line MUTE the HU, and drive a separate relay at the same time, with that MUTE signal going to ground and completing the relay circuit. Have that relay switch over one speaker from the amp, and use it to play back cell phone audio. You're right: larger speakers will sound much better. The convention is to use only the front right passenger door speaker in order to keep the speaker distant from the mic for better echo cancellation via internal car kit and phone algorithims.
A really good Installer will have available some Commercial speaker switching boxes that insert in-line to the HU audio output. When Muted, these boxes will also interrupt 3 of 4 audio output lines and play back cell phone audio through only one speaker.
Autoleads might have them:
http://www.autoleads.co.uk
GSM phones have a 270 Hz switching signal "buzz" on them [radiated RF], so wiring practices have to be pristine with only good audio/cable grounding used.
The small overhead console vent slot just left of the right-most map light is intended as a spot to hide a cell phone mic. An upper console mic mounting is best to pick up both front passengers. The left A [Driver's side] pillar or up by the Driver's sun shade are other good mic placement spots.
Good Luck...

[Modified by Engineer Guy, 2:19 PM 11-12-2001]

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Does the new 'Monsoon' Radio have a auto-mute feature? (F1_Fan)

Yea, it is, and I can tell you from personal experience, it's a heck of a lot longer reach when you have a coffee in the cupholder, and you have to come around at the button from the far side....
It's unusual for VW to make a design screwup, but they didn't carefully think through the issue of the cupholder and the radio control buttons.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Does the new 'Monsoon' Radio have a auto-mute feature? (HIDGolf)

A few years ago, it was uncommon to see a cupholder in a European car (meaning, a car produced for sale in Europe). But when I was checking out all the VW dealers in Switzerland, Germany and Austria last week, every single car had a cupholder. In fact, the Golfs sold in Europe have twice as many cupholders as the North American ones - VW North America deleted the rear cupholder on the 2002 Golf, but the European ones still have it.
Renault seems to be the last holdout in this area, but I rented a Renault minivan last month in CH, and it had a cupholder. So even the French are coming around.
Anyway, on a more serious note, I am still seeking help from anyone who can tell me how to activate the auto-mute feature (if it exists) on this new Double-DIN radio, and also how I can patch audio input from my cell phone into this radio. Some posts made in other threads by UKAUSSIE suggest that the wiring connections for the new radio are different from the drawings of the old radio, as posted by SSheikh, above.
I know it was my fault to get off on the cupholder tangent, but please no more cupholder comments, at least not till we find an answer to the wiring pinouts on the new radio.
Michael

[Modified by PanEuropean, 6:23 PM 12-4-2001]

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well, after much digging, my dealer finally found some information about the new “Premium 6’ radio on one of the VW technical library CD’s.
I have posted pictures of the printouts below. The good news is that it appears that the radio does have the ability to accept a telephone signal – this much is identified on the drawings. I’m not sure if the pin that is labeled “mute” (pin 11 on the 8-pin multi connector II) should be grounded in order to signal to the radio that the telephone signal should take over. If anyone could comment on this I would appreciate the help.
At the same time I picked up these printouts from the dealer, I also picked up printouts showing the pinouts for the previous radio (the ‘Premium 4’ and ‘Premium 5’). It is interesting to note that VW’s pinout printouts gave the word “open” as descriptions for the telephone signal pins and the mute pin that Ssheikh identified above. It almost appears as if VW is not handing out anymore information than the bare minimum. This leads me to wonder what the purpose of all the “open” pins are on this new radio – I suspect that they have some function, it’s just that VW is not telling us.
Michael
Page 1 of 4

Note that in German, 'V' stands for forward (vor), and 'H' stands for rear (hinten)
Page 2 of 4

Page 3 of 4

Page 4 of 4

[Modified by PanEuropean, 12:29 AM 12-20-2001]

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Signal for anti-theft seems to be taped over. What was under it?
The thing is that these pins were labelled to have mute and tel+ and tel- even in pre 2002 units but I think a couple of people opened the HU itself to find out that those pins weren't connected to anything inside the set.
Do you have a steering mounted volume control? Unless it uses the bus to control the volume, I don't see where it would connect to the unit. Or is it the radio control signal

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hi Shahid:
I only taped it over because it printed out on another page (due to the margin settings on the dealer's laserprinter), and I thought it would be simpler to keep everything on one page. There is nothing underneath it.
I don't have the steering wheel controls. I suspect that the 12 pin multi connector III is for the 'plug and play' telephone units that VW sells in Europe, but not here in North America. When I get back to CH in January I will try and get some pics of these units, and also see if the European dealers have more detailed info on the pinout assignments.
By the way, the Euro wiring diagram I sent you (offline) the other day came from this site - http://volkswagen.msk.ru/electro/golf4/golf4wd.htm - yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum, that place is a pirate's delight.

Michael

·
Registered
470 Posts

PanEuropean,
Thank you for posting these diagrams. They are very helpful.
I cannot find any line-level outputs in the diagrams. Does anyone have any indication whether that functionality (use of an external amplifier (other than the "optional" Monsoon)) is available in this head unit?
Thanks again,
Brian

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Does the new 'Monsoon' Radio have a auto-mute feature? (MojoMan)

Just a follow-up post to add information here - I went to the dealer yesterday to order the 'missing' 12 pin multi connector III (this is the one that is needed to wire up the phone). We had a difficult time finding a part number for this connector, but finally found it (we think it's the right one) in the Passat portion of the EKTA.
Here are the part numbers for the connectors that fit into the back of the 'Premium 6' double-DIN radio (connectors pictured below, except the missing number III connector).
Large black plastic assembly, which includes connector I - 3B7 035 444
Brown 8 pin connector II - 3B7 035 447
Green 12 pin connector III (phone connector) - 3B7 035 447B
Blue 12 pin connector IV (CD changer connector) - 3B7 035 447A
Connectors III and IV appear to be the same, but cannot be interchanged because of a slight difference in the keyways used to hold the connectors.
In Europe, VW sells a complete 'plug and play' telephone hookup kit for this radio. Different models are available, depending on whether or not you have a Motorola, Ericson or Nokia mobile phone. These units are not sold in North America because they all support the GSM 900/1800 frequency standard, which is not used in North America.
I have a North American spec handsfree kit for a Motorola phone which I am trying to wire into the radio, so as to take advantage of the auto-mute and phone sound through radio speaker features. We'll see how it goes...

[Modified by PanEuropean, 11:49 AM 12-23-2001]

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Well, finallly the answer to the question I posted back in early November - yes, the radio has a functional auto-mute feature. I hooked up the mute wire coming from my handsfree phone system to the radio yesterday (this wire provides a ground signal when it wants to mute the radio), and it works just fine.
As the wiring diagram suggests, pin 11 on the 8 pin multi connector II is the pin to use. Connector II is the connector that is moulded into the larger black assembly that holds the other connectors. This pin is present on the back of the radio, but as you can see in the photo above, there is no wire present in this pin position on the connector. It is interesting to note that there is also no wire present in pin 16 of the same wiring harness - this is the 'signal for anti-theft alarm' pin.
It was time consuming and very fiddley work to install a pin into the connector. In case anyone else wants to do it, here are the steps I followed:
1) Obtain a 'repair wire' from the VW dealer - this is a yellow wire with a pin on the end of it that is the same as the other pins in the connector. Such a repair wire costs about a dollar.
2) Remove the radio from the car.
3) Remove the beige and the blue connectors (multi pin connectors number I and IV) from the larger black plastic connector assembly. These slide out fairly easily, but you will need a set of jewellers' screwdrivers to release the tiny locking tabs that hold them in place.
4) Using a special tool (I used one of the squeeze-clip arms from a large 'Bulldog' paper cllip), remove the drift pin from the centre of multi pin connector II, to allow you to install the repair wire into slot 11 on connector II. You will need to poke the drift pin out from the middle of the connector outwards (the difficult way), not from the bottom of the connector upwards (what would appear to be the easier way, but it won't move if you try that.
5) Insert the repair wire, while making sure all the other wires don't fall out at the same time.
6) Put the drift pin (locking pin) back in - it snaps in place.
7) Hookup the radio. When the phone rings, the radio displays the word "MUTE" on the front display, and the sound goes off. The CD or tape also pauses, if one is being played.
It is interesting to note that my radio does not seem to have any kind of anti-theft coding on it - I removed the radio and drove around for a few days without it, when I put it back into the car, it worked just fine, did not ask for any radio code, etc.
I hope this info is helpful to others who may want to make the same modification in the future. I have ordered a connector to go into the phone connector position (Connector III), and will hook up the phone signal plus and minus wires when this connector arrives, and post a note here letting you know if it works or not.
Michael

[Modified by PanEuropean, 12:33 PM 12-25-2001]

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Way to go Michael. Good job!
Did you by any chance try out the tel+ and tel- pins to see what they did?
BTW, the HU in my 2000 Jetta didn't ask for a code either when I took it out and plugged it back in a few hours later.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I didn't try out the tel signal in and out pins, because I don't yet have the connector. This is on order and hopefully will arrive before New Year's.
Michael

·
Registered
693 Posts

I'm sorry .. not sure how old this thread is ..
But I was wondering if it would be possible to get those graphics reposted ...
Would appreciate it.
Thanks

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Does the new 'Monsoon' Radio have a auto-mute feature? (schmim)

Schmim:
The graphics are hosted on the TDI Forum imageserver. TDI forum is a similar forum to Vortex, but smaller. It is run as a community effort. Right now (Dec 28, midday) the imageserver there has some problems and is down. I expect that it will be up again within 48 hours, and the photos will then re-appear. If this does not happen, I will re-post the images somewhere else, and refresh this thread so they re-appear.
In the meantime, if you need the pinout diagrams urgently, send me an Instant Message, and I will email them to you. Total size of all of them is about 1 meg.
Michael

·
Registered
693 Posts

Great

The reason I'm so interested in the comparisons ...
(and PLEASE, correct me if I'm wrong)
But I have a 2001.5 Passat w/Monsoon .. that would be the Monsoon 6, right?
I bought a CD player from JonBoy that came out of his 1999 .. that would be a Monsoon 5?
Anyway .. it hooked up and all that, but its not quite working correctly. The backlight doesn't come on when i turn my lights on, etc. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something else that I needed to do ...
etc etc

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.