VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
350 Posts
Welcome Gammaray,

I don't know if your problem is battery related or not, but as you read through the forum you will find countless stories where electrical gremlins of all sorts have caused Phaeton owners and their mechanics to spend oodles of time and money chasing their tails, only to ultimately discover that simply replacing the left ("comfort") battery cured all ills. /QUOTE]

As a newer Phaeton owner I can agree with Ron's assessment.
Before I purchased my car last month I read through a lot of the excellent information on this forum. After my research, the "do" item on the top of my list was to replace the batteries if they were original, they were.
I drove the car for a week before I took it in for state inspection to find any issues. I had a variety of things happen such as the nav lock up and other gremlins. Since replacing both batteries with OEM, I've had zero problems.
I have a bit of experience with battery issues. One aircraft I fly is very advanced, probably as high-tech as you can get outside of the military. We have had a variety of phantom issues pop up, mostly before flights during the start-up checks. The manufacturer traced the issue for the fleet to low battery voltage, a number of the controllers in the aircraft apparently don't like low voltage either.
So, being very much a non-expert, it seems logical to me to always start with at least a new comfort battery, especially if yours is original, it's not IF you'll have problems, it's WHEN!
Best,

· Registered
732 Posts
Thanks to this forum, I didn't hesitate when the dealer told me both of my batteries were beginning to fail at the 100,000 mile service for my five-seater. Cost for the batteries was $190 for the 000-915-105-CE-DSP battery, and $110 for the 000-915-105-DE-DSP battery, with another $182.88 in labor.

Almost five hundred bucks on batteries. Ouch!

But...., the more I read about the problems, let alone the stress those problems cause, I would have to say money well spent.

Victor

· Registered
747 Posts
My tech said the battery needs to be replaced, this was about 4-6 months ago.. I am going to order a new battery and controller end of the month and have both replaced.. She's getting to the point where I may[I/] need to do the emergency starts.

Hello VWGlf00GL,
I can fully understand that you are desperate for a new battery. But why replacing the charger controller? There is nothing in there that can wear and failure of electronics is pretty rare. Other than when your controller has version 2600 A or B, I don't see a reason for replacing it.
BTW, what is your first name?

· Registered
747 Posts
Hi Victor,
It sure is a lot of work to re-adapt everything. It can be pretty annoying when you forget to do so.
By the way, I don't think it is Phaeton-specific that everything with a motor needs re-adaptation. I remember such issues with my previous Audi A4 as well. Whenever the battery was drained for some reason, even the fuel level gauge indicated near zero, which was only solved after:
1.) refuelling
2. Then drive the amount of km up to when you think the tank has reached a level of about 10 litres or less.
3.) Refuel again - which finally restores the normal functioning of the fuel gauge.

I can't remember having see that particular gremlin on the Phaeton forum.

· Registered
885 Posts
Ordered both the right and left batteries to day.

Both from Interstate:

Left spec:
MT5 AGM

30 Month
Free Replacement
900 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)
Part # MT5-49/H8
AGM (absorbed glass mat) recommended for high-accessory-load vehicles including frequent plug-in use.

3,472 Posts
There have been some other posts about the emergency start procedure not working in some cases. It was concluded that if the left battery is actually utterly flat it somehow inhibits the process.

It could also be that some relay or fuse was blown in those cars because the description of how it is wired and should work is quite clear.

The jury is still out.

Chris

· Registered
65 Posts
Fixed

Turns out both batteries needed to be replaced. The left battery was 2 years old. The right battery I assume was the original (2005 year model). The car starts now. There was no warning that I noticed that the right battery was going. I am curious why the left battery only lasted 2 years. Any ideas?

3,472 Posts
Hi Mike:

You are spot on - I forgot that Thor, the daring god of electric sparks, had spoken. Or was it Willem?! I now remember it was one of them who braved electrical destruction and proved the point about engine cranking working with no battery... ;)

Hi Aaron:

I don't recall if it was you who put in the new battery in Oct 2009 or the car salesman. It is said that AGM batteries do not take kindly to complete discharge. Perhaps your car sat unused for a while?

If not, it is also said that 'equivalent' (lower cost) batteries have a shorter life and resilience than OEM ones.

Anyway, I am glad normal service is resumed!

Cheers,
Chris

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi :p

I just bought an 06 Phaeton 3.0 V6, but I don't pick it up til Monday. If it doesn't have the two battery option, will the connections still be there for me to just buy a second battery and install it? Or was the option for the cables and terminals as well as the battery?

Great forum, I have learnt a lot without actually getting the car yet.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Paul

· Registered
2,725 Posts
Hi :p

I just bought an 06 Phaeton 3.0 V6, but I don't pick it up til Monday. If it doesn't have the two battery option, will the connections still be there for me to just buy a second battery and install it? Or was the option for the cables and terminals as well as the battery?

Great forum, I have learnt a lot without actually getting the car yet.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Paul
Hi Paul - welcome to the fast expanding Lancashire Phaeton owners club!

3.0 - so I assumed diesel? All Phaetons have two batteries, with the exception of some, but not all, 3.2V6 petrol engines. I'm pretty sure that if you did have a one-battery-Phaeton the challenge of fitting two would be insurmountable...

Keep us posted on how you're getting on.

Regards

M

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.