VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
The right side engine mount is so far back on that frame horn
The horn is the front tip of the frame rail. The terms are not interchangeable. It’s painfully obvious that you’re out of your wheelhouse here, if you’ll pardon the pun.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Lol, ok. Please post a pic of these crossmembers/ “cradles”, you’re referring to. The only thing I can think of which meets your description would be the rear axle beam.

-Todd

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lol, ok. Please post a pic of these crossmembers/ “cradles”, you’re referring to. The only thing I can think of which meets your description would be the rear axle beam.

-Todd
Now you don’t believe in engine cradles. 🙄

·
Registered
223 Posts
OP, it actually looks like you can still get a new apron/rail assembly if you want to go that route. PN 175-809-102-R. Obviously consult your VW dealer to see about pricing and availability 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
720 Posts
Assuming the towers are still fine, maybe he could pull it out and get the gokraut front brace.
A big propane torch on the bend might help it wench back with ease, have to repaint that area
You'd know the dimensions are right when the brace fits.
Weld on more reinforcement to that area after if you want, supplemental bracing is a thing anyway for mk1's, but
welds in high-stress areas tend to crack if not done right.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
What suspension cradles bolt to these frame horns/rails? You make it sound as if A1 chassis cars have subframes...
Please post a pic of these crossmembers/ “cradles”, you’re referring to.
Now you don’t believe in engine cradles. 🙄
Apparently, reading (or comprehension, maybe both) isn’t one of your better skills. I’m unaware of any suspension or engine cradles, in these cars. I asked for a pic. You did not post one. I doubt you will.

Post 2 shows an A1 chassis bay, without an engine. I pulled that engine, being that it’s my car. I don’t recall removing a cradle. I searched my garage, for the past hour, just in case I did remove it and forgot about it... I didn’t find anything, so I’m pretty sure I didn’t remove one.

Is there a “block user” feature on this new platform?

-Todd

·
Registered
223 Posts
Apparently, reading (or comprehension, maybe both) isn’t one of your better skills. I’m unaware of any suspension or engine cradles, in these cars. I asked for a pic. You did not post one. I doubt you will.
Unibody vehicles generally
No, it is you who has lost the thread of the conversation - I'm not challenging your knowledge of the Mk1 in particular, I'm pointing out that you don't understand unibodies whatsoever. That's evidenced by the fact that you're calling the rail a "horn". It's evidenced by the fact that you think a unibody rail is not a part of the unibody. It's evidenced by the fact that you think unibody rails are not load-bearing structures. Again, you are dangerously unqualified to offer collision repair advice.

·
Registered
978 Posts

Post 2 shows an A1 chassis bay, without an engine. I pulled that engine, being that it’s my car. I don’t recall removing a cradle. I searched my garage, for the past hour, just in case I did remove it and forgot about it... I didn’t find anything, so I’m pretty sure I didn’t remove one.

Is there a “block user” feature on this new platform?

-Todd
Go to their profile and click ignore.

·
Registered
978 Posts
No, it is you who has lost the thread of the conversation - I'm not challenging your knowledge of the Mk1 in particular, I'm pointing out that you don't understand unibodies whatsoever. That's evidenced by the fact that you're calling the rail a "horn". It's evidenced by the fact that you think a unibody rail is not a part of the unibody. It's evidenced by the fact that you think unibody rails are not load-bearing structures. Again, you are dangerously unqualified to offer collision repair advice.
brah - check your ego, don't be such a know it all.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
HAHA, all that and you’re recommending collision parts to a person who’s asking IF his car is able to be saved! Absolutely hilarious!

Horn/rail... you know exactly what I’m referring to... if I’m a master electrician and I call a screwdriver a pick, does that mean I’m clueless...? Get over yourself.

Many have fixed these HORNS, including myself. Go back to my original post and I mentioned if the car is straight, didn’t require to go on the rack, or something along those lines. I was never recommending rebuilding a twisted car.

It’s easily bent metal. If you know the nature of these cars. It doesn’t require much of an impact to cause the damage the OP’s car has. If you know A1 GTIs, they did not have the advantage of collapsible bumper mounts, they were/are solid mounts, which makes the potential for damage, much easier.

Many have fixed these HORNS, including myself. Go back to my original post and I mentioned if the car is straight, didn’t require to go on the rack, or something along those lines. I was never recommending rebuilding a twisted car.

Your first comment included “severe body damage”. I don’t see it that way. Your assessment would have people scrapping cars, which are salvageable.

Am I a trained body man.... no.
Am I a trained mechanic.... no.
Guess what... I perform my own body repairs (to a certain degree) and mechanical repairs. The repairs are sound and my cars run.

Don’t forget this is an enthusiast forum. I don’t see anybody recommending anything that hasn’t been done, through the decades.

I hope you’re not going to be the guy who sees someone doing rust repairs in their thread, then and feeling the urge to take on the role of safety inspector. If you want to stand on your soapbox, go to a trade collision forum and commingle, with your peers. I’m sure there are plenty of those forums, out there.

-Todd

·
Registered
287 Posts
Leave it.
Its not that bad.
Half the cars on the road have that much siderail damage.
The accordion pleats collapse under very little pressure, and you have almost no collapse, so leave it alone.
The only time to replace the side rails is if the fenders won't fit any more since the front gets too short.
The only reason to start cutting would be if an alignment shop said you had to.
Anything else is just cosmetic and not that relevant.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry, but you are wrong.
Siderails often are called horns if they are not wide or flat.
They more definitely are not structural, but instead intended to collapse, so are not really unibody.
They are intended to be easily replaceable, while unibody normally is not.
They definitely are NOT load bearing, and are just to hold the cosmetics of the front bumper and grill.
The suspension has a subframe that does not attach to these siderails, if I remember rights, but attaches lower down and further back.
These are cosmetic only.
And a new one looks slightly curved in this image?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry, but you are wrong.
Siderails often are called horns if they are not wide or flat.
They more definitely are not structural, but instead intended to collapse, so are not really unibody.
They are intended to be easily replaceable, while unibody normally is not.
They definitely are NOT load bearing, and are just to hold the cosmetics of the front bumper and grill.
The suspension has a subframe that does not attach to these siderails, if I remember rights, but attaches lower down and further back.
These are cosmetic only.
And a new one looks slightly curved in this image?
It doesn’t matter how many people want to hop in this thread and argue the points. Unibody rails are part of the unibody. They’re critical, load bearing, structural parts. And they’re not called horns.
This is what I do for a living, y’all.🤦‍♂️:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Awesome to see this going on. My first car ever was my grandpa's 1984 Gold golf. What a great car. Best of luck fixing this up. Please keep us posted here in this thread about your progress!

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
As an ex Shop Foreman for over 20 years, I can say about 5-10% were great technicians. Most that were hired, were barely able to put on a part without doing it several times [ie comebacks]. Some were down right dangerous.

I have learned it really does not matter what your mouth says, the proof is with your hands. Does it really matter what you call an object?

To the OP, do you understand the original picture you posted kinda proved your experience? A simple look at the other side of the car or a quick Google search would have shown that it's not even close. Just that picture and your question allowed this thread to go down in flames. It's possible that you are a professional and one of the best, but you sure did not put your best foot forward.

Reminds me of a technician that was in an interview and I asked what his future plans were. He said, he wanted my job. No, he did not get hired.

In the end, there are several butchers and hacks on this forum. I've seen much better work here than what I've seen as a pro. I've seen projects that I just shake my head thinking that is a total waste of time. In the end, it's amazing what the end product is. All done by someone that has no clue on what they are doing. Just a desire, a good helping of common sense, and the help/encouragement of others. That, is not taught in any UTI class.

Before you criticize others, use your fingers and search their accomplishments.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As an ex Shop Foreman for over 20 years, I can say about 5-10% were great technicians. Most that were hired, were barely able to put on a part without doing it several times [ie comebacks]. Some were down right dangerous.

I have learned it really does not matter what your mouth says, the proof is with your hands. Does it really matter what you call an object?

To the OP, do you understand the original picture you posted kinda proved your experience? A simple look at the other side of the car or a quick Google search would have shown that it's not even close. Just that picture and your question allowed this thread to go down in flames. It's possible that you are a professional and one of the best, but you sure did not put your best foot forward.

Reminds me of a technician that was in an interview and I asked what his future plans were. He said, he wanted my job. No, he did not get hired.

In the end, there are several butchers and hacks on this forum. I've seen much better work here than what I've seen as a pro. I've seen projects that I just shake my head thinking that is a total waste of time. In the end, it's amazing what the end product is. All done by someone that has no clue on what they are doing. Just a desire, a good helping of common sense, and the help/encouragement of others. That, is not taught in any UTI class.

Before you criticize others, use your fingers and search their accomplishments.
….Soooooo, unibody rails are part of the unibody, or nah?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts