VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped off my car (2000 gti vr6 still under b-b warranty) at the dealership for the fourth time for the same problem that no one seems to know what is causing it! (mainly hesitation in second gear and rpm increase when clutch depressed)
I was just wondering if the dealership or VW of Canada should provide some form of compensation! The problem has been going on for more than two months. I now OFICIALLY HATE DRIVING MY CAR (which was previously my ultimate joy) and the dealership ignored me the first two visits and then checked the tranny and changed MAF the third time and now who knows....
anyone know of any laws or any previous similar incident or even any sugestion

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,474 Posts
Re: does vw compensate? (vw_aficionado)

I'm not sure about our canadian brothers but in the Virginia our lemon laws (which vary from state to state) basically say:
If a known problem persists past the expiration of the cars or parts warranty then the dealer must honor the warranty until the problem ceases to exist.
When i say known I mean that the problem has been documented at the dealership.
In Virginia your 4 trips would qualify under our lemon law and you would be getting a new car. Remember though, when you call lemon it is the manufacturer's responseability to replace your car, not the dealerships. The dealership is just a middle-man for VW. A good dealership will help you replace your car but technically it is NOT their responseability.
Good luck!
And no, I can't spell responsability.

[Modified by idburns, 3:03 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: does vw compensate? (idburns)

I got a call today from the dealer telling me that my car is done.....I asked what was done and they said they replaced a oil temp sencor (or something like that) when I got there I refused to close the work order or return the rental until I test drove my car (no objection!) CAR IS STILL FU#@ED....I went back told the service manager ( In a slightly amplified voice) and took HIM for a test drive. After that he started blamming it on after market mintex pads and brembo rotors that his dealership approved installing for me and said that it's OK. Finally they now decided to try replacing the throttle mechanism!!! so off I go home in the renter for what is now a fifth time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ow and he said that I'm better off not calling vw of canada cuz I have aftermarket brake pads and rotors..HHHEEEELLLLPPPP! IS HE RIGHT?
what do I do
Thanx

·
Registered
471 Posts

brakes would make your engine rev when the clutch releases? Hmm, sounds like a clutch/tranny problem to me, I see how he could blame the hesitation in 2nd, but if it's not in any other gear, then it could be a cousin of the dreaded "2nd gear grind" phenomina that occured not so long ago......i'd like into this, and also your lemon laws, call a good lawyer or law firm and ask away, make the dealer do their job and give you what you payed for, you should love a vw, why not, everyone else does
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: does vw compensate? (Wildabeast)

I had the second gear grind previous to this problem I complained but nothing was done. Then when I got this problem at the third visit they decided to fix the grind cuz they thought this prob was because of the tranny too (that decision was also influenced by my bringing it up over and over..I had to!) they replaced 2nd gear and some synchro's and added highperforance gear oil! the grind I havn't really tested yet to see if it's gone but the hesitation was not due to the tranny (they also checked clutch presure..all good...VAG tool checks everything OK)..and like I said they are now trying to replace the throttle device (throttle pedal and hiden mechanism)
What can I do?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I have almost gone BLIND trying to find something...anything on Quebec or canada laws for manufacturer warranties and lemon laws....and NOTHING does Canada not have any lemon laws...I was flooded with US lemon laws.......WHY?

ANYONE GOT ANY INFO OF SUGESTIONS?
I hope the problem is resolved by tomorow when they try replacing the throttle device...but just incase I wanna know my RIGHTS as a consumer!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

went to the dealership today cuz they called asking for all the keys to the car cuz they are gonna reprogram them! when I was there the mechanic working on the car was gone for the day. But the head mechanic that was there said that the throttle device was not the source of the problem. So they are still investigating! my car is gonna stay there for the weekend
but on the bright side I have ****TY pontiac sunfire to boot! I remember someone had in his sig. drive it like u stole it....with the rental I AM!!
Any input is welcome!

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

I don't see what's so special here. You have a strange, glitchy, hard-to-nail-down problem that requires repeated (but different routes of) repair.
It sounds like w/each visit, something has be adjusted, changed out, fixed.
They just haven't nailed it down yet.
This would all be different if they said it was gone, or they couldn't replicate the issue.
But compensation? For what? They're fixing the car (sucks that it's tough and is taking a long time) and you have a loaner. What else do you want?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Re: does vw compensate? (Jman5000)

quote:[HR][/HR]
They just haven't nailed it down yet....
But compensation? For what? They're fixing the car (sucks that it's tough and is taking a long time) and you have a loaner. What else do you want?[HR][/HR]​
I have looked at the electrical systems in our IV cars in great detail. Given all the sensors and the sophistication of the VAG tool, it shouldn't take them more than a couple of hours to pin point the problem.
With all the problems that I've had with my car and all the problems that the dealerships introduced, I have come to the conclusion that they simply do not know what they are doing. And a couple of visits inside their shop verified that. I couldn't find a single guy in their shop who knew how to operate the VAG tool.
Based on that my advice to people is to be very careful what you take the car to the dealership for. If its not a problem and only an annoyance and if you can live with it, then dont take it to the dealer to get it fixed. My experience is that if you do, that annoyance will become a problem because they will break something else in the process.
quote:[HR][/HR]It sounds like w/each visit, something has be adjusted, changed out, fixed....[HR][/HR]​
Same goes for repeated attempts to fix something. The more times something is opened and put back together, more chances that you'll either see a problem with that device again or that device will have a permanent recurring problems.
Now I realize that there must be good dealers out there so I'm not going to generalize that all dealers are bad. But I will say that all the dealers that I have gone to had a hopeless and incompetent service department.
So I don't think you are way off when you ask for compensation. But at the same time, I get your hopes high that you will get any compensation. What you may wind up with is a whole lotta nothing and a headache. I have written letters to VWoA, made several customer service calls into them, talked to the local VW rep at the dealership, but I have never ever as much as gotten a phone call from VWoA customer service or anyone else at VW asking if any of my problems got resolved.
Bottom line is that these are great cars but if you live in NA and I guess it applies to Canada as well, then the warranty on these cars doesn't mean a whole lot. You get one thing fixed under warranty and they break another. Get that fixed and yet something else is now broken complements of the shop. In the end you pay for the oppurtunity cost and the abuse the car goes thru when its opened up and put back together. And trust me they do abuse the car when they open it.
On a brighter note, I'm glad to report that since my last visit to the dealer at 10,000 miles (when I stormed out of their office after being repeatedly lied to) nothing new has broken on the car. All the problems that they introduced and weren't able to fix are still there. But the last 11,000 miles have been completely trouble free. Though at some point in the near future I will need a new transmission but I'll deal with it when the time comes.
For me unless the car breaks down completely and leaves me stranded on the side of the road, there is no way its going back to the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts