VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I tell my wife that I'm going out to the garage to work on the Rabbit, she acts as though I just told her I'm going out to a bar to pickup a girl and take her to a motel.
I didn't foresee this when I got my project diesel bunny.

· Banned
529 Posts
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (towser42)

Its funny how our significant others take offence that our every thought is about VW. But here is the key to happiness, BUY YOUR GIRL A VW. We (and by this I mean I) had a 92 SLC that my girlfriend absolutely loved and loved to wash and maintain, now she has a little more simpathy for my poor mistreated 84 GTi. Also her eyes are almost as keen as mine for picking out vw's in a croud. Good luck its a bumpy road. When you find a Dub chick hold on to her.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (SilberGTi)

Quote, originally posted by SilberGTi »
Its funny how our significant others take offence that our every thought is about VW. But here is the key to happiness, BUY YOUR GIRL A VW. We (and by this I mean I) had a 92 SLC that my girlfriend absolutely loved and loved to wash and maintain, now she has a little more simpathy for my poor mistreated 84 GTi. Also her eyes are almost as keen as mine for picking out vw's in a croud. Good luck its a bumpy road. When you find a Dub chick hold on to her.

Ditto!!!
Shortly after I bought my BMP R32 we picked up a nice black '83 Rabbit GTI for $100 for my wife. She LOVES IT!....and LOVES working on it. We just came back from PA were we picked up a full 16V swap (actually hauled it back in the R32 with the seats folded down, 4 blankets, a tarp, and a plywood/cardboard base on top....and YES I know it sounds CRAZY but....we got it back without a scratch or spot on my new car's exterior or it's leather interior). If you assimilate your spouse into the VW collective resistance will be futile and you will never get the type of complaints listed above.

· Premium Member
27,616 Posts
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (edrussell)

What about husbands?
Mine doesn't bitch much - I could be out shopping or doing drugs or some other total money waste. We've got it down to whenever I work on the wagon and save money, I basically get "points" toward Rabbit stuff. So if I do a bunch of big repairs on the Passat (saved about $1K over dealer so far this year), I can do whatever I want to the bunny.
Plus, I get super duper bonus points for working on his Golf. What a riot. He started the whole VW thing, but I'm the nutcase!

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (edrussell)

Quote, originally posted by edrussell »

If you assimilate your spouse into the VW collective resistance will be futile and you will never get the type of complaints listed above.

It's a nice idea, but not likely. My wife and I have been married for 15 years and we both grew up in New York City where nobody even owned a car. We didn't even get drivers licenses until 12 years ago when we moved to Pennsylvania (I know that sounds insane to most people here
)
While I slowly warmed to the car culture (although I always wanted a diesel Rabbit -- even as a teenager) this is the first time I've ever really got into working on a car because I wanted to. My, wife on the other hand still looks upon cars as a necessary evil that she would be perfectly happy to give up. She resents any time and/or money spent on any car regardless of why or how it is spent. She even seems to resent time I spend working on HER car.
I'll just have to be a clandestine, (sleep deprived) nighttime mechanic, skulking around the garage at midnight changing my glowplugs and cleaning my injectors.

· Registered
955 Posts
Re: (Shawn M.)

its odd...
my wife LIKES my GTI. she thinks its cute, and when we had our Jetta back in PA she loved it too. Even though the heater didnt work, even though the turn signals kiiiinda worked...
but lately, she hasnt been as pleased with my Rabbit wrenching. i told her that im going to buy her a Cabby someday but we're too poor for the VW im restoring now! but thats the life of a couple of college kids. i think she'll like the GTI more when we can drive it around.
she's really improved her taste in cars. she used to just like old cars. now she likes old volvos and vws and especially 80s Saab 900s. i think it wont be long before she's fallen in love with some car that we have to work on together.
i dont know... those are my non-sensical mutterings for the day.
-adam

· Registered
18,724 Posts
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (towser42)

Quote »
Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car?

No, 'cuz I am the wife/girlfriend...
no wait, I don't have a husband/boyfriend so, hmmm......
I wouldn't ever get jealous; guys work on cars, fact of life (plus, I'd be out there in garage too working on my own VW
).

· Registered
800 Posts
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (kamzcab86)

well she totally appreciates the work i do (if its repair work) 'cause I've saved us a couple of thousand $$$ in labor charges, but she gets a little huffy when i'm spending time and money upgrading things...
the key is to wait till something is broken or almost broken, then replace it with high performance parts

"uh, honey the manifold and downpipe are both cracked, they need to be replaced..."
2 days later, dualoutlet manifold, TT race downpipe, and a single piece of 2" mandrel bent pipe straight back through a flowmaster

"but honey, it was cheaper than ordering OEM parts..."

as worked up as she gets, that all changes as soon as she takes her Cabriolet for a spin and feels the extra torque under her right foot

if your reading this sweetie, I loves you ...

· Registered
5,645 Posts
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (Impact_Wrench)

mine's all for the mkIs... i got the main beams up for my ghetto shop last night and i'll be filling the back yard with dubs hopefully by this time 2 weeks from now

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (atomicalex)

Quote, originally posted by atomicalex »
What about husbands?

my husband is not into vw's...he's a chevy guy---however he does appreciate my interest in cars...and i think if we both liked the same thing all of the time it would get a bit boring...he's never jealous of what i do!!!
(and he secretly likes driving my cabby
)
peace, kelly

· Banned
3,059 Posts
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (maushaus)

I kinda agree with what some of you have said. The problem is, you go out
in the garage and ignore your significant other. I think if you included them
more often they would be a little bit more understanding.
cheers.

· Registered
18,724 Posts
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (Crazyfurdubs)

Quote, originally posted by Crazyfurdubs »
cheers.

Just don't have a significant other... problem solved!

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Re: Does your wife/girlfriend get jealous of the time you spend working on your car? (Crazyfurdubs)

Quote, originally posted by Crazyfurdubs »

i'm pretty lucky that my husband and i have an understanding of each others interests, but some of the guys i know have tried to include their girlfriends and they are just not interested...so what then?

· Banned
3,059 Posts

Quote, originally posted by maushaus »
i'm pretty lucky that my husband and i have an understanding of each others interests, but some of the guys i know have tried to include their girlfriends and they are just not interested...so what then?

Then you obviously need a new girlfriend.
Quote, originally posted by kamzcab86 »
Just don't have a significant other... problem solved!

Kammy's my significant other.

· Registered
1,775 Posts

Quote, originally posted by edrussell »
Shortly after I bought my BMP R32 we picked up a nice black '83 Rabbit GTI for $100 for my wife. She LOVES IT!....and LOVES working on it. We just came back from PA were we picked up a full 16V swap (actually hauled it back in the R32 with the seats folded down, 4 blankets, a tarp, and a plywood/cardboard base on top....and YES I know it sounds CRAZY but....we got it back without a scratch or spot on my new car's exterior or it's leather interior). If you assimilate your spouse into the VW collective resistance will be futile and you will never get the type of complaints listed above.

HAHAHAHA thats awesome!!! You get an R32 and then you're like "hey honey, how about an '83 GTI for $100" and she actually wants it.. if i was to say something like that my girlfriend would be like "I can't belive you think I would actually drive that piece of crap!!!!". haha She does like Volkswagen a LOT though, but she would be rather pissed if I drove a brand new R32 and she had a 21 year old rabbit.

· Registered
2,408 Posts

She gets jealous....and does the... "Oh..........." with a sad look thing like I just dumped her.
She also frequently reminds me of how she was there for the trip to Waterfest this year...and how it took 15 hours to travel 6-8 hours (NH to NJ). And then another 12 hours home when more problems occured....LOL

(Exhaust fell off in CT and I had a friend (scott02dmb, thanks for saving my hearing) and then fell off AGAIN in CT on the way home from waterfest. The first time it fell off after the catalytic converter and the 2nd time it fell off right before the muffler... lucky us)
She also reminds me how we spend Sunday at Waterfest walking back and forth to go get the picture of a convertible with its top up after it rained and for the cars that I missed because I was distracted by another car.
She is finally leaning a little more towards VWs....she'd like a Cabrio...Atleast its a start!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.