VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand or stiffness are you guys swapping them out with? Are there replacements for all 3 or these? Or just 2 and 3? What are some of the + and - you came across after swapping yours?

[Modified by KJ-VR6, 11:24 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Re: "Dogbone Mount" Bushings....Are They *Really* Worth Changing?? (KJ-VR6)

I have Autotech dogbone bushings, but it's only the two big ones. I called them and asked if they made the third smaller one, and they don't. Mine is very very worn and I need to replace it.
The engine doesn't move as easily, there is a slight increase in engine noise, and also a slight vibration under 1500 RPM when starting.
It is a great way to spend 40 bucks...

·
Registered
8,445 Posts

Yes, I help install these a few weeks ago on a 1.8T, all I can say is the difference is amazing. For $16 from ES this is really worth it. You can feel the car so much better now. I am going to do this to mine as soon as I find an extra $16 laying around. Definetly go for it!

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Re: "Dogbone Mount" Bushings....Are They *Really* Worth Changing?? (UTdaneVW)

Does ES make that third bushing???
Do you have a link for them? I might also have to try ABD. I don't know how the third bushing would be installed though....

·
Banned
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: "Dogbone Mount" Bushings....Are They *Really* Worth Changing?? (adg44)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have Autotech dogbone bushings, but it's only the two big ones. I called them and asked if they made the third smaller one, and they don't. Mine is very very worn and I need to replace it.
The engine doesn't move as easily, there is a slight increase in engine noise, and also a slight vibration under 1500 RPM when starting.
It is a great way to spend 40 bucks... [HR][/HR]​
So you have the Autotech bushings for "2 and 3"?

·
Registered
744 Posts

I wouldn't waste my time replacing the bushings, just spend the extra money and get the z-engineering mount. It's totally worth it!

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
Re: "Dogbone Mount" Bushings....Are They *Really* Worth Changing?? (no-pistons)

The Z mount is too rough for daily driving IMO, though on the track it performs excellent. I am using the vw motorsport mount. Its a full replacement and cost a bit, but i think its totally classy. Its way stiffer then stock, gives a slight increase in vibration in the cabin, but keeps the engine in place. Especially with the extra bit oftorque I have now

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Re: "Dogbone Mount" Bushings....Are They *Really* Worth Changing?? (2kjettaguy)

Anyone have a pic of the z-engineering mount? It has no bushings what-so-ever on it, right? That seems a bit aggressive for the street, eh?
Evan, the VR6 is a LOT smoother than the 2.0/1.8T, so vibration wouldn't be as noticeable with the VR6, which was what the mount was designed for.
I heard the VWMS mount is exactly like stock, but just with stiffer rubber??

·
Registered
3,239 Posts

get the inserts, they are great for street use and they arent rough after they break in

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Re: "Dogbone Mount" Bushings....Are They *Really* Worth Changing?? (2xtrms)

N/M, I answered my own question. DAMN this looks nice!!!

quote:[HR][/HR]Description:
The factory rear engine mount was designed as a soft mount, to provide a very comfortable drive. It's drawback was the large amount of movement it allowed the engine during torque load on hard acceleration. This large amount of movement of the engine decreases stability under high performance driving conditions and gear selection.
To reduce this movement Z-Engineering made a complete replacement fitted with moulded, high durometer polyurethane inserts. The mount is constructed from billet aluminum and supplied with high tensile hardware. Fitting should take no more than 20 minutes and fits all VAG Type 4 Chassis: Golf/Jetta 4, Beetle, Bora, Audi A3, Audi TT.
This high performance mount has been tested on a supercharged MK4 VR6 with 275hp and provides a dramatic difference in the stability of the car when accelerating and braking hard. Gear changing under hard acceleration is also greatly enhanced.
This mount is provided as standard with Z-Engineering MK4 supercharger kits and also available separately. It is also ideal for the highly modified 1.8T.[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Re: "Dogbone Mount" Bushings....Are They *Really* Worth Changing?? (2kjettaguy)

quote:[HR][/HR]The Z mount is too rough for daily driving IMO, though on the track it performs excellent. I am using the vw motorsport mount. Its a full replacement and cost a bit, but i think its totally classy. Its way stiffer then stock, gives a slight increase in vibration in the cabin, but keeps the engine in place. Especially with the extra bit oftorque I have now
[HR][/HR]​
do you have a pic of the vwms mount? and where you bought it?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: "Dogbone Mount" Bushings....Are They *Really* Worth Changing?? (Golfball_Driver)

the z-mount is brutal. from what ive heard.. it rattles the shiet outta the chassis. i got the ES ones with the all three pieces installed. the shifting is a lot nicer then stock.
but for me, thats not enough. the VR rocks badly from side to side. the cure: VWMS side motor mounts! Autotech carries em, and they are not cheap by any means. But the motor will be rock solid. perfect for nitrous

·
Banned
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Are these the ES bushings for the dogbone? There are three. Assuming the two bigger ones are for the front and rear of the base? But not sure about the 3rd small one and the metal piece?

·
Banned
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: "Dogbone Mount" Bushings....Are They *Really* Worth Changing?? (1BadAzzVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]but for me, thats not enough. the VR rocks badly from side to side. the cure: VWMS side motor mounts! Autotech carries em, and they are not cheap by any means. But the motor will be rock solid. perfect for nitrous
[HR][/HR]​

got some pics and/or prices?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

the circular one goes in the circular part of the dogbone mount. the little metal sleeve goes inside the circular piece so you can bolt it back to the tranny. its there to stop the bolt holding it in from mashing the circle piece.

·
Banned
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: "Dogbone Mount" Bushings....Are They *Really* Worth Changing?? (1BadAzzVR6)

Ahhh..so it is as easy as "1 2 3" ? Hmmm...only $16 for all three of these from ES huh? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Or is it a bitch getting the black ones out?

[Modified by KJ-VR6, 2:09 AM 4-8-2002]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.