VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was preparing for my 16v swap next week by disconnecting everything...draining coolant blahbblah and i took the hose off the side of the head on my 8v and ****....i got no plug for my timing hole...so some coolant got in there...so my question to you guys is..
is my clutch ruined now or will it be fine once it dries out?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Should be ok with coolant, just give it a long time to dry. if it were oil you would be F'd, the good thing about 8 valves is the fly wheel covers the clutch.
give it a day to dry and you should be ok

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Re: (dubnut604)

Quote, originally posted by dubnut604 »
If your pulling both, do them regardless

thats not always tru i would only change the clutch if it is more than 50-6% worn it takes what 2-3 hours to do a clutch

·
Registered
14,922 Posts
Re: (Jetta2dr)

I poured gear lube down that hole within the first week I got my Jetta, stupid me, haha, good thing I was getting a new clutch put in the next month.
Now I have a plug hole cover, and I know way more about the car then I did when I first bought it....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Re: (GrimJettaGLI)

I had no timing plug on my previous 16v and the coolant hose directly above it was ever so carefully leaking straight into the hole. It was like that for about a month after a got it (who knows how long before that) and the clutch never wore out in the 3 years that I owned it.
Conclusion: You're good to go.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Re: (Jetta2dr)

Quote, originally posted by Jetta2dr »
If you're pulling the engine and tranny out already theres no reason no to do the clutch. Its a 15 minute job once you have it all out.

why would you if it doesnt need one....vortes is crazy your going to spend 300 to change a clutch that doesnt need it but yyou guys complain that a 4k mk2-vr is too much...lol

·
Banned
14,893 Posts
Re: (ValveCoverGasket)

Quote, originally posted by ValveCoverGasket »

every variation of the mk1, 2 and 3 right? not sure about the mk4s and the v6s in the audis and passats

Polo/Derby, Golf/Jetta 1,2,3 (small engine and VR), Mk4, Audi, Passat, Corrado, G60, G40 are normal set up, only the 020 trans uses the backwards setup.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Re: (Broke)

never heard of a polo or a derby? wow.
yeah, the 020 is backwards from everything else. i told my autoshop teacher one day that the flywheel was on the outside of the clutch and it bolted to the pressure plate, which was bolted to the crank...he didn't believe me till i brought it in.
he owed me lunch after that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.