VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got bored today and decided to do the fender line vent mod that i've been thinking about for a while. Some cutting with a razor blade, some drilling, a few nuts and bolts, a little spray paint, and I just saved myself about fifty bucks from that would have otherwise gone to ECS. I think it came out pretty clean. Anyone else on here done something similar?

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Re: Doin Home Depot Mods (SDMKIV)

I don't have a picture of the installation right now (I should take one when I get back to Florida) but I used a leftover sheet of this...

...to do the same thing http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Doin Home Depot Mods (JDS2005)

Yeah I was thinking about using something like that but I wanted it to stay all black. I just didn't realize that the black spray paint would start chipping so fast. Oh well.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SDMKIV »
Yeah I was thinking about using something like that but I wanted it to stay all black. I just didn't realize that the black spray paint would start chipping so fast. Oh well.
My Kamei mesh was leftover from when I made grilles for the lower bumper openings to match my Kamei grille. I got them powdercoated to match the Kamei grille. I would suggest that you try using something metal for the vent and getting it powdercoated, it's extremely durable.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts

I did a Home Depot fender liner as well; was metal mesh like the other guy posted, riveted in place where I cut the fender liner out. Sorry, no pic, but you live down the road from me if you ever want to see it

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Doin Home Depot Mods (TheGreasyJap)

Yeah? Just wandering if you go to or know of any GTG's in area. I never see too many guys driving around down here, not to mention anyone on the 3/2/G forum.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
since you dont like the chipping try black textured paint. I figure it will be more durable and nobody will see it in your fender well

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Re: (d.tek)

Quote, originally posted by d.tek »
better airflow to the factory side-mount intercooler.

or any side-mount intercooler. I'm running the Tryolsport SMIC.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Re: (TheGreasyJap)

Quote, originally posted by TheGreasyJap »

or any side-mount intercooler. I'm running the Tryolsport SMIC.

you know what i meant, the majority of people who upgrade intercoolers go for a front-mount, therefore i referenced it as factory, but you're right.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Re: (haxormax)

Quote, originally posted by haxormax »
what does this mod do?
And move air to the brake caliper, I use on both sides, not just for the intercooler

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Re: (Shinex1)

Quote, originally posted by Shinex1 »
And move air to the brake caliper, I use on both sides, not just for the intercooler

Shine, did you notice a difference at track speeds?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Re: (TheGreasyJap)

Quote, originally posted by TheGreasyJap »

Shine, did you notice a difference at track speeds?

I love late and hard braking and yes, hard to quantify but I'm going with "yes" I feel like there's some improvement
Nothing you'd ever notice on the street, but hey, air on the calipers can't hurt

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (BMPolska)

Well, I can barely get into my driveway at stock height so that might not work out too well for me. Believe me I've been considering it for a long time. Every drainage ditch in Socal is like a foot deep (scrape all the time) even though it never rains here. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Re: (Shinex1)

Quote, originally posted by Shinex1 »
I love late and hard braking and yes, hard to quantify but I'm going with "yes" I feel like there's some improvement
Nothing you'd ever notice on the street, but hey, air on the calipers can't hurt
I agree with you entirely, but to get air to the brakes, I really believe in using proper ducting.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts