VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i'm found a way (using a special undercoating) that i only need to use 2 layers of spray on bed liner to achieve desired texture and full coverage, thus saving a lot of weight
so i'm seriously debating doing the jetta in full spray on bed liner (minus the already black trim pieces, license plate tub etc.
i would be able to spray the door jams and hood undersid too, but the engine bay is not likely to happen for awhile though, door jams, underside exterior will all also just get a coat of black, non textured
keep in mind weight is no longer a serious issue...

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Re: doing a mkIII jetta's exterior with spray-on truck bedliner (purplejettahondaeater)

If I could vote twice for WTF I would have... I almost thought about creating another user name so I could. Lay down the crack pipe and sleep on it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Re: doing a mkIII jetta's exterior with spray-on truck bedliner (Fly952.0)

I voted no but what the hay its not my car, id like to see what it would come out like to tell people to do it,
or not to do it

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
i saw a toyota 4 runner done in all yellow bedliner at a white water rafting place, that was dope...on a jetta...not so much

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do it be original! don't listen to people who just want to rock the stock. I'm not sure if I would want it on my car but I would give mad props for taking a step out there and if you do some rallying you will be set

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Re: (Vegas_Jetta98)

is that kinda like those crazy european dudes who stripped all the paint off their mk1 and mk2, and had "oxidation style" or something like that?
Original...but for how long will you like it? Me, I think it'd be cooler to do a professional flat finish, or satin.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Re: (punkassjim)

There are two vehicles like this in my town. One is Rhino Lined, and it's been done for over 3 years and looks pretty crappy. It's all faded and looked terrible to begin with. The other is an older toyota pickup, and the bottom half is all done with bedliner. It's pretty rough and looks nasty, the edges look terrible. Around the edges of the doors it looks bad because the gaps aren't even. These are both at detailing shops, they aren't privately owned or driven, they're pretty much just for display.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Re: doing a mkIII jetta's exterior with spray-on truck bedliner (purplejettahondaeater)

THAT CRUD WOULD BE HOT!!!!!!
screw the haters http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
i hate the censors!!!

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Re: (!nter-mind)

There goes your highway MPG and hooray for wind noise
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

i'd be interested to see it. i guess no one knows until you do it

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Jmunk)

well a couple things...
1. as for fading, exterior armor-all for bumper trim, or peanut butter brings rhino-lining back to being bright black
2. as for wind noise, i have stg4 turn 2's in the car and no sound deadening left, if i could hear the wind over the exhaust noise and interior rattle then...

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,276 Posts
Re: (purplejettahondaeater)

It wouldn't be better to do the whole car in just white if you're using it for competition? If you're really serious, the sponsor stickers will show up a lot better on a lighter color. That and if you do the engine compartment in a dark color, you'll never be able to see any leaks.

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
Re: (3WheelGTi)

i don't know, i don't think it would look all that good, but there's only one way to find out!
Edit: Peanut Butter keeps it from fading? I guess the oils would soak into it or something, but image how many jars of peanut butter that would take!!

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Re: (rshomer46)

It is odd to say the least....but if you really do it and want to see some gravel road rallye use, the 2 layers sprayed over the current paint wont be enough....it will chip right off....

Sean

1 - 20 of 44 Posts