VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically going to do a slight walk through of doing chain's on a W8 in pictures. Also when I say slight I mean not a step by step walk through.

Didn't take picture's right from the beginning with the front end still on but here we go anyways with it all removed.

After you disconnect all your wires and hose's (don't forget where anything goes) and disconnect any suspension part's necessary hook it all up to the table special tool #..... Now slowly drop it down after also unbolting the sub-frame, so it can all come down in one piece then stare in awww.

As you can tell by this point the wiring harness basically completely comes off of the engine minus a few connector's in the front. The exhaust manifolds come off, axles disconnected, and sub-frame dropped down on the table.

Modified by nevester at 1:14 AM 3-3-2010

Modified by nevester at 1:16 AM 3-3-2010

Modified by nevester at 1:26 AM 3-3-2010

Modified by nevester at 1:07 PM 3-3-2010

Modified by nevester at 10:29 PM 3-18-2010

Modified by nevester at 10:58 PM 3-18-2010

·
Registered
445 Posts
Re: Doing chains on the "BEAST" aka W8 (nevester)

Glad to see you are an enthusiastic W8 tech! I didn't catch your location...

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
I remember them doing that to my V10 TDI... same table, I believe. :eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
What were they thinking...:banghead: :screwy:
Doing that much work just to replace AC compressor... :eek:
I know you probably did a bit more (I hope anyway) than that to justify dropping the drive train out like that.

Mike

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
really only took about an hour or so to drop it.
vw made that one easy:popcorn:
prob cuz they knew it would come out alot lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
mounts removal

Hello.

I must replace the motor mounts on my W8. From these pictures looks like I have to drop the subframe with the engine still attached and then gain access.

Is that accurate? How much do I have do drop the frame and engine to do it? Do I have to disconnect everything, same as for an engine swap? I mean exhaust, hoses, wires, suspension and steering rod ends?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Do you need an alignment after dropping the engine like that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts