VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to fork out 200 dollars for some mechanic to put stock parts back on my car. So, I have decided to do my own tune up. I figured I would do the basics like plug wires and spark plugs. Any suggestions on plug wires: i.e. brand and size. I was thinking of denso iridium plugs. Any other suggestions on plugs? What else should I do while I am buisy doing the tune up? Oil has already been changed BTW. Thanks.

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Re: Doing my own tune up, what is needed. (Lemmie Hill)

get OEM plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotors and clean the throttle body. i have +4 plugs in my car and i haven't had any problems, but OEM will give you the same result.

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Re: Doing my own tune up, what is needed. (Spankee)

Quote, originally posted by Spankee »
get OEM plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotors and clean the throttle body. i have +4 plugs in my car and i haven't had any problems, but OEM will give you the same result.

I wouldn't put the +4s' in a VR6, go with the stock plugs - NGK, I believe. They're about 2 buck more than the +4's.

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Re: Doing my own tune up, what is needed. (TheCunningLinguist)

Quote, originally posted by TheCunningLinguist »
a '98 VR6 has a distributor?

Look at his sig - he's got a 97 GT - 2.0... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,809 Posts
Re: Doing my own tune up, what is needed. (TheCunningLinguist)

Pre 95 VR6 motors have cap and rotors. Corrado's and Passout's and the early OBD1 cars.
what i highly recommend you get, aside from the stock NGK plugs (BOSCH does not make the VR happy) is a plug wire puller. you might get two pulls from your plastic one provided even with cold engine.

· Registered
3,809 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Lemmie Hill »
So, basically... get new plugs and have the car timed, right?

What's to time? You have coil packs, right? maybe i'm not understanding the question but really all you really need to do is replace the ignition parts. Have you changed your serp. belt? fuel/air filter?
you should consider looking into acquiring one of those plug wire pullers though. a bit pricey but it will save you a lot of time a fustration.
Aprox, $40 at http://www.parts4vws.com

· Registered
8,771 Posts

You'll also need a valve cover gasket and intake manifold gasket and some gasket sealer for the timing chain cover. Just hope you have some knowledge of the engine before you try and fix the timing.

· Registered
56 Posts
Re: Doing my own tune up, what is needed. (Maflagulator)

Why does BOSCH not work well with the vr's? I've had BOSCH dual posts for over 6 months with no probs at all. She seems real happy, but I'm no master dubber

what i highly recommend you get, aside from the stock NGK plugs (BOSCH does not make the VR happy) is a plug wire puller. you might get two pulls from your plastic one provided even with cold engine.[/QUOTE]

· Registered
4,453 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Lemmie Hill »
Whats to time??? the timing is off on my car. I figured fixing it would be part of my tune up. It is pre igniting, so something is off.

your timing is off? how the hell is that, there is nothing possible that can screw up your timing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.