VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im having some problems with the front end of my jetta gl. the suspension is just all out of wack, and the rear brakes are shot. so im gonna take the rear end out of the gti along with the front end too and place them under the jetta...could i just prop my motor up or something and just bolt this stuff up? is there anything i would have to swap along with it? like brake lines??? im planning to do this this week sometime if it works out so i really need some help. thanks

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Re: Doing some swapping from a gti to a gl. (LeatherMK2)

It sounds like you are thinking about swapping the front subframe from the gti in addition to the rest of the suspension. Is your subframe bent? Because if it isn't, I wouldn't bother doing that. The rest of the suspension is relatively easy to take apart, just support the car on jackstands and go to town. As for the rear, if the GTI has rear disc brakes, you can just swap out the whole rear beam including the proportioning valve. I'm not sure about the brake lines themselves, though, I haven't done a rear disc brake conversion yet.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Doing some swapping from a gti to a gl. (ubercrap)

the whole front end is bent. the bolts are f'd and my rear wheel cylinder is blown along with a rusted brake line in the rear. it wont come off no matter what. so im just gonna do a complete swap yes... i just wanna see if i can use the gtis brake lines....

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: Doing some swapping from a gti to a gl. (LeatherMK2)

swapping a rear wheel cylinder is quite easy compared to swapping the entire rear axle, plus if the gti has rear discs, the drums are alot more trustworthy reliable units.
brake lines can be had for cheap, swap NEW ones in, get a flaring tool and slap them in there. s wapping the front subframe in would suck, but yeah if you could suspend the motor and tranny, undo all hte brakes and suspension it drops out.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Doing some swapping from a gti to a gl. (The_Hamster)

by unlbolting the ball joint on each side it eliminates having to screw with suspension or brakes on the front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts