VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured i would create another Dome light install doc, cuz that last one was crap. BTW, how do i add this to DIY?
I didnt have a trim removal tool but i had my girlfriends cuticle plastic nail pusher thingy and it worked like a charm.
1.) I started with the clear plastic to pry off from the end closest to the windshield

2.) I did a little pry on all sides just out of paranoia for flexing or cracking the plastic

3.) Next i took the peice off here which was a little easier.

4.) This peice was the hardest since you couldnt just pull the bulb out with this installed. I had to use a little force but use it smart in all the sides because i did have a little flex coloration in the corner but hardly noticable.

5.) Now you can pull out the bulb and install whichever you'd like. If your hands are sweaty itll be a bit tough but i used latex gloves for grip.

6.) Voila! You have now installed your new bulbs

1.) Heres also the back dome light which was super easy just take off the plastic peice and swap. I forgot to take the picture of me taking it off but you should be able to figure it out.

Update:

I currently have these LED bulbs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

They stay on very dimly if you have the middle button (doors open) pressed. but they are really nice and bright with a good color in the car. The first ones i had in there looked nice, but they werent as bright as the stock bulbs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
good job on the write up! but there is actually a much easier/correct way to do this without the risk of cracking the plastic.
The piece that houses the factory bluetooth unit prys off quite easily, and once its off its just a matter of unscrewing two screws and the whole sunroof/dome light unit comes off.

·
Registered
28,954 Posts
Re: Dome Light install (Earlskey)

Quote, originally posted by Earlskey »
BTW, how do i add this to DIY?

You can just report the post to a moderator and have them do it for you.
.... just added this to the DIY/FAQ.
Brad

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Re: (Earlskey)

Quote, originally posted by Earlskey »
Interesting! Where exactly? I dont have bluetooth in my jetta. And what screws? This was the best way i could figure it out.

The bluetooth micorpphone is behind the grill of a trim plate in front of the sunglass holder.
Pry the trim plate away from the rear ...

The trim plate is hinged, rotate it to vertical and it will release for removal.
Underneath that trim plate are two T20 Torx screws ...

Once those two screws are removed, the entire sub-assembly swings free,
release electrical connectors as necessary.

Bulb access is pretty easy at that point .

(note, my older unit has a center bulb too,
similar thing in the back, I have three bulbs there too).

The older ones had backlit sunroof control legends too.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Quote »
6.) Voila! You have now installed your new bulbs

Please list bulb type and numbers you replaced OEMs with. Where can I get LEDs?
Do you know there are also RED LEDs behind the switches? Can these be swapped out for Bright white? More DIYs please.

·
Registered
710 Posts
can those screws be taken out with a small flat head? i see they arent the standard phillips screw.
thanks
T20 Torx screws.. Very few phillips screws in a VW...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.