VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, haven't posted for a while, but I had a quick question. Some friends and I are thinking about picking up a small cheapish trailer for a road trip this summer, and since they all drive honda and toyota sedans, my tig is the de facto tow vehicle. Has anyone tried towing a small single or double axle trailer? Am I really limited to only 2,500 lbs? I remember reading somewhere that the towing capacity was higher for euro tigs with the 2.0TSI.

Let me know if you have any thoughts

·
Registered
44 Posts
yeah I've towed a 5x8 single axle trailer loaded with concrete, three trees, tons of crap multiple times. No problems. i don't think ive exceeded 2k pounds, and my local dumb is not far. Car never hesitated though!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't done any towing lately but I plan to soon. My 2012 has the factory hitch and 7pin plug. I have an adapter for the 7pin so will be testing it soon.

The factory hitch has a 1-1/4" receiver. From what I have read this size receiver is only rated for 2000 lb. I expect I will be towing around 2500 pounds, for fairly short distances; 15-20 miles per trip, each way.

Should I be concerned about the hitch rating? Should I abandon the factory hitch and install a 2" / class III receiver?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I tow an 8" popup with my Tig and it's like it's not even there. I did get a 2" hitch box, and had the trailer module installed at my dealer (it has active anti-sway, alarm connectivity, and more - it's not just lights). If you already have the tow package installed, it's cheap and easy to upgrade to a 2" box (I got mine at etrailer).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tow an 8" popup with my Tig and it's like it's not even there. I did get a 2" hitch box, and had the trailer module installed at my dealer (it has active anti-sway, alarm connectivity, and more - it's not just lights). If you already have the tow package installed, it's cheap and easy to upgrade to a 2" box (I got mine at etrailer).
Thanks for the info. I will probably do that too. Did the 2" receiver have a place to mount the 7-pin connector? The factory one has a plate that bolts to the receiver and I'm wondering if the one from etrailer has that too.

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've towed a 500lb trailer with ~500 crap on it 420 miles round trip several times now. There is plenty of torque for towing so thats not a big deal even here in the utah/idaho mountains. Going heavier than the rated 2200lbs i wouldn't worry about the power, but i definitely would start worrying about the braking if the the trailer doesn't have its own brake setup. these tigs are only 3400-ish pounds, towing something that starts approaching 2/3 of your vehicle weight without additional braking starts getting scary in my book.

that said - if you' really not taking it at highway speeds and only short trips, i'd totally do it and just be really careful about not having to stop short

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes, thanks for that link - I used it when figuring out my own set up. I basically used 2 pieces of strap bent in an L shape, one part of the L on each side of the 7-pin, the other bolted to the plastic of the bumper cover underneath.

I figure the connector is pretty light and the bumper cover is pretty strong.....used stainless hardware and nylock nuts. Will probably paint the bracket as it is a bit bright.

Mark

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The tig's braks are actually quite beefy... that was my torture thread, 5000+ lbs for over 1000 miles from phoenix to Florida....no problems.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.