VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never figured this out till today. I went to junk yard and got a few goodies. i found a weber throttle body adapter with good studs, timeing/intermediate shaft gears, coolant flanges for the head, and a block off plate for newer blocks going into the rabbit. What surprised me was that the block off plate seems to come stock/factor on 1985-86ish v-dubs. Until now i thaught i had to buy block off plates from t.t. Oh well another one in the knowledge files. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
10,420 Posts
Re: don't buy a block off plate for an aba or 3a conversion till you read this... (dredward)

Have you got any pictures of that block off plate? How many bolt holes in the ones you've found? The only ones I'm familiar with on 85-ish VW's have two bolt holes and are too small for the ABA or 3A which require four bolt holes.

Modified by ABA Scirocco at 2:39 AM 7-15-2003

· Registered
5,167 Posts
Re: don't buy a block off plate for an aba or 3a conversion till you read this... (ABA Scirocco)

Yeah, those blocks have a plate to cover the old mechanical fuel pump openning that is too small. Either the car he took it off has a 2.0, or it's the wrong one.

· Registered
10,420 Posts
Re: don't buy a block off plate for an aba or 3a conversion till you read this... (fwdvw)

FWIW, I didn't buy the TT block off plate when I did my 2.0L swap. I made a plate out of 1/4" aluminium and bolted the smaller older style plate on top of it to give me somewhere to mount the warm-up regulator, there are a couple pictures of this on my website. I'd recommend that anyone else doing that swap do the same, making the plate is very cheap and easy, it been working flawlessly for almost 3 years now

· Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: don't buy a block off plate for an aba or 3a conversion till you read this... (ABA Scirocco)

This bock off plate is for a corrado block(corrado block didn't originally have a block off plate). I am putting an autotech blower in my rabbit and decided to source a lo mile corrado block to put the blower on. This was my cost effective way of haveing a block made for boost. I plan on useing cis and the carrado block has an oil breather hole in the front of the block like the aba or 3a. The plate i have fits this block and has a set of holes to bolt the worm up reg to.

· Registered
2,022 Posts
Re: don't buy a block off plate for an aba or 3a conversion till you read this... (dredward)

The G60 has one of the brackets for the supercharger bolted over where the mechanical fuel pump would have gone on a cabureted car. So, what you bought was the same thing that came on all 8v's that were injected from 76 on....except some of the digifant cars which didn't have the holes for the warm up regulator. This isn't what you're looking for to do an ABA or 3A conversion.

· Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: don't buy a block off plate for an aba or 3a conversion till you read this... (vwmikelvw)

The one i have looks exactly like the tt. block off plate and has holes to screw the worm up reg too. Both coover the large breather whole and both have holes to attach the worm up reg, how are they dif? I did see plates that just blocked the breather hole but had no place to attach worm up reg. Mine looks identical in every detail to the tt plate. I did note that tt sells a plate for the 3a and the aba but i don't know the diff between the two.

· Registered
1,282 Posts

ya i thought i saw something like this on some a2's and i wondering why it wouldnt work, its quite a bit bigger than than the ones for the fuel pump hole... and looks about the same size as the tt one maybe its a cali thing....

· Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: don't buy a block off plate for an aba or 3a conversion till you read this... (MiCrO)

Quote, originally posted by MiCrO »
ya i thought i saw something like this on some a2's and i wondering why it wouldnt work, its quite a bit bigger than than the ones for the fuel pump hole... and looks about the same size as the tt one maybe its a cali thing....

I thaught the same thing.
Sorry for late reply folks i just came back from reggae on the river. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.