VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look, before the flames roll in, I just want to say I know this is a half-hearted effort BUT I think what motivated me to post this is the desperate nature of many of us. It now costs me $7 more per fill up (full tank) than it did last year and that's not acceptable.
The best thing to do is write your congressman and tell him to get those US oil reserves released to drop prices (Clinton did this a few years ago and it dropped prices almost $0.20/gal immediately and eventually $0.30-.40 eventually. Right now Bush is sitting on those reserves and refuses to release them (if only temporily).
The second best is to just not buy gas tomorrow and see if the effort is coordinated enough this time to do any damage. It's not all that likely I know but ANYTHING we can do collectively aside from stand in on local TV station interviews and look like every other DUMBASS saying "there's nothing we can do about it" (god I'm sick of that).

This is the chain letter, cheesey and probably false but if it gathers support it's worth it:
IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.
AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.
THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHINDS DAY" AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.
THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.
WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?
REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!
WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

·
Banned
6,228 Posts
Re: Don't buy gas May 19th (h0mersimps0n)

Quote, originally posted by h0mersimps0n »
Look, before the flames roll in, I just want to say I know this is a half-hearted effort BUT I think what motivated me to post this is the desperate nature of many of us. It now costs me $7 more per fill up (full tank) than it did last year and that's not acceptable.
The best thing to do is write your congressman and tell him to get those US oil reserves released to drop prices (Clinton did this a few years ago and it dropped prices almost $0.20/gal immediately and eventually $0.30-.40 eventually. Right now Bush is sitting on those reserves and refuses to release them (if only temporily).
The second best is to just not buy gas tomorrow and see if the effort is coordinated enough this time to do any damage. It's not all that likely I know but ANYTHING we can do collectively aside from stand in on local TV station interviews and look like every other DUMBASS saying "there's nothing we can do about it" (god I'm sick of that).

This is the chain letter, cheesey and probably false but if it gathers support it's worth it:
IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.
AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.
THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHINDS DAY" AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.
THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.
WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?
REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!
WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

gas strike

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Re: (h0mersimps0n)

I guess at this point anything is worth a try. I can't run anything less than 93 octane and it's killing my wallet.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Re: Don't buy gas May 19th (h0mersimps0n)

Actually one day will do very little hurt to the oil companies. A better solution I have heard about is to not buy from the biggest gas company (Exxon/Mobil) until they are forced to drop their prices just to sell their gas, this will then result in other companies to drop their prices to compete. I myself have always bought from other gas stations like Wal-mart, Sheetz, Hess, etc.

Modified by vwsr2cool at 1:56 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
Re: Don't buy gas May 19th (vwsr2cool)

Quote, originally posted by vwsr2cool »

Actually one day will do very little hurt to the oil companies. A better solution I have heard about is to not buy from the biggest gas company (Exxon/Mobil) until they are forced to drop their prices just to sell their gas, this will then result in other companies to drop their prices to compete. As long as prices are too high, keep buying from other companies. I myself have always bought from other gas stations like Wal-mart, Sheetz, Hess, etc.

Modified by vwsr2cool at 1:55 PM 5-18-2004

thats a better idea long term

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

This is stupid. Oil companies don't have anything to do with the increase in price per barrel, OPEC does. Bush could release some of the reserves, but I respect him for not doing so. It's an emergency reserve, and an extra .50 at the pump is NOT an emergency.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwsr2cool »

Actually one day will do very little hurt to the oil companies. A better solution I have heard about is to not buy from the biggest gas company (Exxon/Mobil) until they are forced to drop their prices just to sell their gas, this will then result in other companies to drop their prices to compete. I myself have always bought from other gas stations like Wal-mart, Sheetz, Hess, etc.

I usually only go to Sunoco or Hess.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Re: Don't buy gas May 19th (JastorVW)

I agree with JastoryVW...its not worth it to tap the reserves for this.
The long term idea of not buying from the big guys is a better idea than not buying at all. I mean, I won't buy gas tomorrow, but then again, I don't need any right now

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$0.50 a gallon might not mean a lot to you but to Taxi companies, trucking companies and major transportation industries this is an emergency. I've read a lot of stories about local trucking and taxi services going out of business, laying off, rasing prices, etc. Food just doesn't magically fly itself onto the grocery store shelves. The inc. prices just shove the economy in the wrong direction with inc. prices and layoffs.
Think big.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

I just got back from Phoenix, Az they don't even have 93 octane, it's 91 out there, for 2.40 a gallon.
Thank God for my TDi
I paid 1.77. and get over 38 MPG.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I'll never understand why we are all stuck with 93 here in the northeast.
I paid $2.13 for 93 over the weekend, god knows what it's up to now.
I'd hate to live in CA, I hear those people are up to $3!?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
P.S. my GLI got 30.5 mpg over the weekend driving from Erie to Baltimore and back.
38 is still sweet though, glad I don't have a 12/19 mpg toureg.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

Before I was chipped. One tank full, I got 47 MPG and 700 miles on 15 gallons. ( used a TDi trick to stuff extra diesel)
I am just glad I am not driving my Tahoe anymore.I traded it in for my TDi. I couldn't handle filling 26 gallons only to go 335 some miles. blah

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Re: (vDevilu)

I get about 28 mpg in my 2.0L Wagon. It's been costing me almost $25 to fill up, I remember filling up for only $15.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

$0.50 a gallon might not mean a lot to you but to Taxi companies, trucking companies and major transportation industries this is an emergency. I've read a lot of stories about local trucking and taxi services going out of business, laying off, rasing prices, etc. Food just doesn't magically fly itself onto the grocery store shelves. The inc. prices just shove the economy in the wrong direction with inc. prices and layoffs.
Think big.

Gas prices are one of the few things that haven't risen at the same rate as the dollar. And how would the oil companies notice if 10,000 out of 10 milion americans didn't buy gas? I'm sure they fluctuate like that weekly, ie, sell more gas on fridays than on tuesdays.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

...economy in the wrong direction with inc. prices and layoffs.
Think big.

you are dumb. i don't like you. you put chain letter e-mail as a topic. you should go die somewhere. thanks for annoying the sh!t out of me. you have caused my post count to rise through angered reply. dork. did i metion i want you to die?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.