VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having looked through the search function on how to adjust the cabel I see people refer to allen screws. I don't see any screws at all.
If using this post
http://www.bethandjames.com/co...e.htm
and scroll down to the 5th picture and see the 4 hood cable pieces.
I have the piece on the top right [not the plastic peice underneath]
I also have the piece on the bottom left [no allen screw].
I also don't see any screw on the cable itself underneath the radiator support. So how do I adjust??
Thanks and again don't kill me

everything seems to be intact but I don't see any adjustment

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Re: don't kill me...hood cable adjustment (g60rabbit)

i blasted through those pictures real quick and i think you are right, the allen head adjustment is not pictured. the allen adjustment is at the very end of the cable, near the passenger side headlight. you can loosen the allen, pull the cable through the end of the housing, and retighten it to get the slack out. that is the only one and i think what you are asking about.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: don't kill me...hood cable adjustment (coRado)

Quote, originally posted by coRado »
i blasted through those pictures real quick and i think you are right, the allen head adjustment is not pictured. the allen adjustment is at the very end of the cable, near the passenger side headlight. you can loosen the allen, pull the cable through the end of the housing, and retighten it to get the slack out. that is the only one and i think what you are asking about.

Look at the 5th pic. You are talking about the allen in the item on the top left?

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

sure enough there it is. yeah thats the one that goes on the end. are you all squared away now?

Im'ed and no

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Ok, that's my page with the pics, so maybe I can help.
There is no adjustment screw on the cable itself. It's just a straight piece of wire.
The only adjustment is to take up any slack in the cable at the end stop (top left part in photo). Factory has a small (5mm??) bolt that clamps the cable in the stop. I used a small allen head.

OK, made up a new pic.
Loosen anchor bolt (Red arrow)
Pull on cable (Green arrow) while pushing against the cable stop (in direction of Yellow arrow). Tighten anchor bolt.

Modified by James 93SLC at 10:45 PM 10-31-2007

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: don't kill me...hood cable adjustment (James 93SLC)

But if I look at the part on the bottom left[top pic] it doesn't look like it even has a bolt in it, which is how mine looks. Do the heads of the bolts break off on these easy?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

does anyone know for sure if that part (end piece with allen adjustment screw) comes with the screw in it it you buy a new one?
i think that might be your best bet as yours is probably corroded like the one pictured.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

This picture just illustrates the two pieces that rest against the passenger (top left is new...bottom old piece) and driver side (again...top right pass. side...bottom old broken piece).
Yes, the anchor bolt would be easy to break off, especially if it's very rusty.
Old vs New parts.

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts

does anyone know for sure if that part (end piece with allen adjustment screw) comes with the screw in it it you buy a new one?

Yes it does, but it's a hex head not an allen. At least the three I have purchased over the years.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Re: don't kill me...hood cable adjustment (SLC4EVER)

Quote, originally posted by SLC4EVER »

Yes it does, but it's a hex head not an allen. At least the three I have purchased over the years.

Yep, should come with a bolt. Mine had been pillaged already when I got mine, so that's why I used a Socket Hex bolt.

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts
Re: don't kill me...hood cable adjustment (James 93SLC)

Probably a better method anyway. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts

Most likely broke off, it's tight to begin with. Add a little corrosion over the years and it will easily snap off.

·
Banned
15,206 Posts
Re: don't kill me...hood cable adjustment (SLC4EVER)

you know what sucks
the little clip that goes on the end of the cable at the lever end is NLA
when i pulled the new cable i bought at the dealer for 8o ****ing dollars a couple weeks ago, the damn clip snapped

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts
Re: don't kill me...hood cable adjustment (brilliantyellowg60)

Simple CNC fix, and don't tell me you don't have access to some nice equipment.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: don't kill me...hood cable adjustment (brilliantyellowg60)

Quote, originally posted by brilliantyellowg60 »
you know what sucks
the little clip that goes on the end of the cable at the lever end is NLA
when i pulled the new cable i bought at the dealer for 8o ****ing dollars a couple weeks ago, the damn clip snapped

According to 1stvwparts.com that clip is still available for 3 bucks or something.
However the prices at impes have gone up sine the thread on how to repairs these things have been made,
The cable is 14 bucks more, and the other 2 pieces are about 13 bucks more.
I am going to get everything but first will try and drill out the bolt on the clamp and see if I can just replace that, and just keep the other parts "in stock"

Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully getting the old clamp off and the new one on makes it so I can adjust it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote, originally posted by g60rabbit »

According to 1stvwparts.com that clip is still available for 3 bucks or something.

Ok they just emailed me to inform me the clip is NLA by itself but does come with the cable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.