VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
40,103 Posts
I can disagree with this. I've been making vids on youtube for 4 years. No sponsors, no monies, no free products, just a lot of hard work and time sacrficed. Youtube is 70% luck, 20% having a collab with a big name in your field,10% who you connect with on the journey, and 100% suffering until you get picked up by the algorithms.
What percent is gimmicky schtick, half crazy rants, and somewhat dangerous stunts?

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
What percent is gimmicky schtick, half crazy rants, and somewhat dangerous stunts?
I think that varies from channel to channel. Supercars and shenanigans seem to be the easiest way up the ladder. Jumping and destroying a 100k truck seems to hit both those marks.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I speculating he didn't realize how fast he was going just because the TRX was so much better on the lead up than the Raptor was. Kind of like the guy that rolled his JCW GP3 in his yard rallying it.
I take the 700hp hellcat mill builds power much quicker than the ecoboast v6 in the raptor :D

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I can disagree with this. I've been making vids on youtube for 4 years. No sponsors, no monies, no free products, just a lot of hard work and time sacrficed. Youtube is 70% luck, 20% having a collab with a big name in your field,10% who you connect with on the journey, and 100% suffering until you get picked up by the algorithms.
There are some youtubers with great content that have barely any views , i will check your channel out definitely(y)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Most channels don't even make it to 1000 subs, man. You're doing great. I just checked your channel... your content is fine, but the fact that you have oddball/obscure tastes are what's hindering it, imho. Most people don't care about 68 Datsun Roadsters.

Meanwhile, that hillbilly guy gets a POS 911 Targa from a junkyard, and now has 75k subs after doing absolutely terrible, extremely long videos that are boring to watch because he doesn't edit out the dull stuff or even speed it up much.

·
Nothing is Real
1,797 Posts
Most channels don't even make it to 1000 subs, man. You're doing great. I just checked your channel... your content is fine, but the fact that you have oddball/obscure tastes are what's hindering it, imho. Most people don't care about 68 Datsun Roadsters.

Meanwhile, that hillbilly guy gets a POS 911 Targa from a junkyard, and now has 75k subs after doing absolutely terrible, extremely long videos that are boring to watch because he doesn't edit out the dull stuff or even speed it up much.
I'm not a supercar guy myself but I follow a fellow, Normal Guy Super Car and he has been struggling to get even the 50k subs he's acquired over several years. He's very niche, he doesn't present it in an overly in your face gimmicky way, and it is more informational than entertainment. It's kind of sad that he doesn't make much money by doing that but I'm sure some of his audience benefit from some of the DIY videos showing how to change things on various Ferraris. A lot of that audience don't watch youtube for entertainment; they'll login to find a specific video and go about their day whereas some of these money makers put out videos daily for an audience of a generation who prfer youtube over cable.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm a "regular" on Dan's channel and you're absolutely right - it's been a struggle. The work he does is VERY valuable to a small group of owners, and if he started doing donuts and widebodying his Ferraris, he'd gain some followers, but lose all that follow him for the DIY stuff. He'll be happy to hear that you're a fan.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback. It's nice to hear that the work I'm putting in is decent, even if the subject material isn't in much demand. Maybe I'll find a supercar in the woods this summer!
At some point, I'll make some connections that put me in touch with a larger segment of the automotive community. The youtube automotive people run a pretty tight clique..it's not easy to make friends with many of them. The friends I have made through YT, have been really solid people, though.

·
Registered
80 MK1 TDI, BoltEV, G8GXP
7,387 Posts
His videos and willingness to show the flaws in his work are plenty entertaining. You're even more of a dickhead than once thought.

·
Nothing is Real
1,797 Posts
I'm a "regular" on Dan's channel and you're absolutely right - it's been a struggle. The work he does is VERY valuable to a small group of owners, and if he started doing donuts and widebodying his Ferraris, he'd gain some followers, but lose all that follow him for the DIY stuff. He'll be happy to hear that you're a fan.
I think I found his channel before he hit 5k subs maybe. Definitely pre-10k. I’m obviously not a Ferrari owner but I enjoy his channel quite a bit. I’ve chatted with him via comments here and there as well, quite a nice fellow.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
His videos and willingness to show the flaws in his work are plenty entertaining. You're even more of a dickhead than once thought.
I don't think having a criticism makes me a dickhead. Showing flaws is fine. 45 minute episodes that should have been maybe 5-10 minutes? I do not have the attention span for that. IMHO, his videos were poorly made with poor production and not edited well. Dude seems cool and does great work, but the videos are not entertaining. To me. You are entitled to your own opinion of his content, or mine. No care.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I think you are talking about budget builds? I like his projects. I would have killed to find a 911 in a junkyard and put that on the channel. His sub rate went through the roof with that car.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think you are talking about budget builds? I like his projects. I would have killed to find a 911 in a junkyard and put that on the channel. His sub rate went through the roof with that car.
Yep. It's a cool project... but the videos... good god some of them are like 45 minutes long. I'm talking like 2-3 minute shots of pulling a wire through a bulkhead. The editing, production, and knowledge shared here is terrible. It's a slog to watch. I don't understand doing videos that bad and becoming that popular. If this was a datsun instead of a 911 it would have gone absolutely nowhere.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
If this was a datsun<snip> would have gone absolutely nowhere.
Can confirm datsun content doesn't drive views. Nor does tiny JDM cars, rallycross, or an old rabbit. 😁

but on the streetspeed front...the amount of media attention he's gotten from this is mind boggling. Bilstein is swapping out his shocks, he's gotten national news coverage and his sub count is increasing pretty quickly. I'm sure his jump video + the damage video revenue over the next 3-6 months will take a large part of the sting out of the 95k bill for the truck. Not to mention the opportunities for brand deals, and I guarantee some company will try and get that truck in their booth at SEMA this year. I'd assume that he most likely planned this out ahead of time, bought the truck cash, and hoped that the video would blow up. I also am sure he didn't plan on landing with one corner, bending his truck, and eating the whole deal so quickly. I'll give him some props for reacting well, I'd have been gutted if I trashed my truck like that. I also only make $500/yr from youtube instead of around $225k. I can't afford mistakes.

·
Registered
80 MK1 TDI, BoltEV, G8GXP
7,387 Posts
Yup, I subscribed to his channel because I enjoy the videos regardless of their length; I'm not sure I recall seeing a 45minute video though. But I also like watching junkheaps transform into drivable cars. I'm lucky there was a garage available when I built the Rabbit because I'm sure my neighbors would have been less than thrilled seeing a shell outside for so long lol

·
Registered
12,416 Posts
Meh, guy is a bit douchy for my taste. I lost interest as soon as he was passing on the right with triple digit speeds on the speedo. Darwinism will kick in soon enough.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Can confirm datsun content doesn't drive views. Nor does tiny JDM cars, rallycross, or an old rabbit. 😁

but on the streetspeed front...the amount of media attention he's gotten from this is mind boggling. Bilstein is swapping out his shocks, he's gotten national news coverage and his sub count is increasing pretty quickly. I'm sure his jump video + the damage video revenue over the next 3-6 months will take a large part of the sting out of the 95k bill for the truck. Not to mention the opportunities for brand deals, and I guarantee some company will try and get that truck in their booth at SEMA this year. I'd assume that he most likely planned this out ahead of time, bought the truck cash, and hoped that the video would blow up. I also am sure he didn't plan on landing with one corner, bending his truck, and eating the whole deal so quickly. I'll give him some props for reacting well, I'd have been gutted if I trashed my truck like that. I also only make $500/yr from youtube instead of around $225k. I can't afford mistakes.
I know this is a quick vid on the vortex and easy to assume the dude is an idiot, but I think everyone is highly underestimating streetspeeds business intelligence. Safety... I think even he would admit is stupid, jumping the Ford he had at least a helmet. He has basically built a media and clothing merchandise company buying millions of dollars worth of cars over the years and houses. They almost give away 100k car on a monthly basis from purchasing merch from inshane designs for raffle entries. I've been watching his videos for a few yrs now and he outlined several yrs ago how much money he makes (30k/mo depending) from YT alone and he's only grew more and more popular. He's stated the truck was a 93K write off, which makes me assume its not insurance write off from a fraud perspective, but from a business perspective. You might not like him, but at least a million people do who subscribe to his content.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts