VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,497 Posts

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
I know this is a quick vid on the vortex and easy to assume the dude is an idiot, but I think everyone is highly underestimating streetspeeds business intelligence. Safety... I think even he would admit is stupid, jumping the Ford he had at least a helmet. He has basically built a media and clothing merchandise company buying millions of dollars worth of cars over the years and houses. They almost give away 100k car on a monthly basis from purchasing merch from inshane designs for raffle entries. I've been watching his videos for a few yrs now and he outlined several yrs ago how much money he makes (30k/mo depending) from YT alone and he's only grew more and more popular. He's stated the truck was a 93K write off, which makes me assume its not insurance write off from a fraud perspective, but from a business perspective. You might not like him, but at least a million people do who subscribe to his content.
Oh I get it. So he's a rich douche.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,711 Posts
I wonder if business insurance would cover something like this. They may boot you off the policy or raise your rates or whatever that's probably a lot cheaper than covering the cost of the truck yourself. Of course it's technically off road which car insurance would normally not cover.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Can confirm datsun content doesn't drive views. Nor does tiny JDM cars, rallycross, or an old rabbit. 😁
Yup... but it annoys me. Dude must make pretty good bank just doing youtube videos, and they're bad videos. Hopefully with his new influx of cash he can hire an actual editor or something.
I know this is a quick vid on the vortex and easy to assume the dude is an idiot, but I think everyone is highly underestimating streetspeeds business intelligence. Safety... I think even he would admit is stupid, jumping the Ford he had at least a helmet. He has basically built a media and clothing merchandise company buying millions of dollars worth of cars over the years and houses. They almost give away 100k car on a monthly basis from purchasing merch from inshane designs for raffle entries. I've been watching his videos for a few yrs now and he outlined several yrs ago how much money he makes (30k/mo depending) from YT alone and he's only grew more and more popular. He's stated the truck was a 93K write off, which makes me assume its not insurance write off from a fraud perspective, but from a business perspective. You might not like him, but at least a million people do who subscribe to his content.
Thing is, I will never subscribe to someone like that. He's an attention whore. I don't learn anything from watching his content. I did watch him ruin a super expensive truck, I guess, but I'm not signing up for more of that.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Thing is, I will never subscribe to someone like that. He's an attention whore. I don't learn anything from watching his content. I did watch him ruin a super expensive truck, I guess, but I'm not signing up for more of that.
Agreed. The best YouTubers are the ones who do something just because they love it and accidentally discover that lots of other people do too.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,437 Posts
I want to know who these people have insurance through, and I hope somebody reports them. I've seen so many dumb people absolutely destroy expensive vehicles due to poor decision making, and I guess everyone else just foots the bill when their insurance company covers it? Seems like BS.
I'd be very surprised if any of this gets reported to insurance. You're not required to report anything, just fix it if you have a lien. Doesn't mean insurance has to fix it.

Furthermore, if there is no lien on the vehicle, all he's required to have is liability coverage so he can drive it on public roads.

So I'm gonna go with "he pays cash to fix the stuff breaks".

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,624 Posts
I'd be very surprised if any of this gets reported to insurance. You're not required to report anything, just fix it if you have a lien. Doesn't mean insurance has to fix it.
What's there to report? He's already made subsequent videos with the truck. It's not like it's totaled. It's no longer a mint, factory perfect example, but its appears to be far from undrivable.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Yup... but it annoys me. Dude must make pretty good bank just doing youtube videos, and they're bad videos. Hopefully with his new influx of cash he can hire an actual editor or something.
If you dig a little deeper into the google machine... he is also a successful financial planner, his fiancee also has a youtube channel, they launched a channel together, and he makes about 80k from each giveaway vehicle (After inshane designs gets their share as well) after all is said and done. The raptor giveaway alone most likely paid for the TRX. 90k is a literal drop in the bucket for his lifestyle.
I think the era of small youtubers making it is coming to an end quickly. Channels like whistlindiesel are really changing the genre and what people want to see. WD went #1 on trending for youtube this week. I think he's broken 2m subs, and he gets around 1.5m views per video. There will always be a contingent that enjoys the build or project videos, but destruction of things you or I can't afford seems to be THE winning combo on youtube automotive right now. And there's no way for someone like me with ~1500 subs and a measly budget to compete with that.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
most dumb apes like dumb ape things
Oh well. I don't make videos to try to make a living, it's just a fun way to document what I did. I used to do build threads, but then photobucket totally ruined most of those; youtube is a better way to showcase work that goes into things, and share tips and tricks. I figure if I'm going to do it anyway I may as well record it, even if I fail. Haha.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,437 Posts
What's there to report? He's already made subsequent videos with the truck. It's not like it's totaled. It's no longer a mint, factory perfect example, but its appears to be far from undrivable.
Nothing. I was just making a point to ADDvanced that there's no reason to report this kind of thing to insurance. If the vehicle is paid for they're not required to do anything. If there's a lien, it just has to be fixed. There's no rule saying that insurance has to be the one that pays for it to be fixed. You're free to pay cash or fix it however you want.

·
Registered
1999 MKIII GOLF Mi, 2018 Sentra Nismo
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Man the more i see the following videos the more i believe there is something going on between RAM and him, or he might get something like a replacemet out of that after all the things he has done to that truck. 4wd system already gave up....Needless to say that truck can take a beating!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Man the more i see the following videos the more i believe there is something going on between RAM and him, or he might get something like a replacemet out of that after all the things he has done to that truck. 4wd system already gave up....Needless to say that truck can take a beating!
Dragging the battery on the ground hasn't helped things and it's now been lit on fire, it's basically turning into the Top Gear Hilux at this point.

·
Premium Member
11,101 Posts
I will never see a big stock truck jump and NOT think of this video.
dont forget the ranger video!

can't believe we're at the point of destroying vehicles to make the money back on views. lame.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,624 Posts
decent youtube channels make a couple thousand a month

how would that buy a new $100K TRX
At the beginning of the jump video, you can see that dude has a bunch of very nice cars, including an Urus. Not to mention at least one Raptor. It looks like he has another business as well, which he is mentions in the initial video from the OP. Dude definitely has access to other money in addition to his youtube channel money. And for all I know, there could also be some family money involved as well.

I suspect the youtube channel is only part of how he makes his money. In addition perhaps there's some way he's writing off some or all of the TRX purchase on his taxes as some type of business expense?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46,493 Posts
I suspect the youtube channel is only part of how he makes his money. In addition perhaps there's some way he's writing off some or all of the TRX purchase on his taxes as some type of business expense?

61 - 80 of 102 Posts