VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 98' jetta GLX, started having power draw issues recently and came to found that the wiring in the passenger door, Large solid orange one, and a large red one with a yellow strip have been completely cut in half, and about 5 others have exposed wiring. So I taped them up, and capped the ends of the 2 wires that are cut in half. I went to a junkyard today and all 3 jettas I found had the same issue with split wires, which I know is a common issue. So does anyone know of a place that I can just buy these harnesses new? besides the dealership. My Bentley is in storage right now and is not accessible so I don't have a diagram to see what all each wire is for that's broken or breaking. Is this a VR6 specific harness or will one from a 2.0 GLS golf/jetta also work?

· Registered
3,254 Posts
We have a 98' jetta GLX, started having power draw issues recently and came to found that the wiring in the passenger door, Large solid orange one, and a large red one with a yellow strip have been completely cut in half, and about 5 others have exposed wiring. So I taped them up, and capped the ends of the 2 wires that are cut in half. I went to a junkyard today and all 3 jettas I found had the same issue with split wires, which I know is a common issue. So does anyone know of a place that I can just buy these harnesses new? besides the dealership. My Bentley is in storage right now and is not accessible so I don't have a diagram to see what all each wire is for that's broken or breaking. Is this a VR6 specific harness or will one from a 2.0 GLS golf/jetta also work?

I literally just took that harness outta my GLX cause my window isn't working. The red wire with the yellow strip has a connector on it and I'm going to the yard tomorrow to grab another one. It should be the same harness if the vehicle has similar options...ie power windows/power & heated mirrors/power locks etc etc

· Registered
8,055 Posts
I've dealt with this issue with every VAG car I've ever owned. All I do is follow the wires into the door (door card removed) Then cut all the wires off, splice in new wires (same AWG wire in the garage) then run them in through the door, then cut and splice the other ends in the car.

No need to get a completely new harness, it's just door wires for locks and windows, nothing major. KISS

· Registered
3,254 Posts
I've dealt with this issue with every VAG car I've ever owned. All I do is follow the wires into the door (door card removed) Then cut all the wires off, splice in new wires (same AWG wire in the garage) then run them in through the door, then cut and splice the other ends in the car.

No need to get a completely new harness, it's just door wires for locks and windows, nothing major. KISS

Sallad is def. on point with his replies/what he does on his cars. :thumbup: for always being impressed and informed after reading one of your posts. Good to see knowledge being passed along on the Tex. :beer:

· Registered
8,055 Posts
Thanks buddy... you just earned a "friend request" lol

As for passing on the knowledge. As I've said before, guys have helped me before, I'm just trying to pass some correct (or try to be correct) knowledge to others.
:beer:

· Registered
3,254 Posts
I like knowing that the Vortex is a source of VW knowledge, and that people who know more than others help others in need. Its why I come on here and read/learn on this damn forum at 1:30am. :laugh:

· Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You just saved me a lot of pain, and money! I have a soldering iron,solder,heat shrink, and rolls of wiring, this was my first thought but then i was thinking, if they were to long then maybe it would happen again, but honestly doesnt seem likely:thumbup::thumbup: Thanks for the great info!:beer:

· Registered
8,055 Posts
These types of repairs are usually a "one time" thing. You have to remember it took over a decade for these wires to break. So once you fix them, they should be fine until the car gets crushed at the end of it's life.

· Registered
3,254 Posts
These types of repairs are usually a "one time" thing. You have to remember it took over a decade for these wires to break. So once you fix them, they should be fine until the car gets crushed at the end of it's life.
I'm about to start my harness repair tonight. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.