VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn my key in the driver's side door, the key just spins round and round both directions without locking or unlocking car.

I have read a bunch of other forum posts on here that just replace the cylinder, but I want to know if it could possibly be another issue inside the door such as a linkage.

Is it possible the cylinder and tumblers are fine but a linkage wire or plastic part has broken? How would I go about fixing that, and avoid having to carry around 2 different keys?

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
995 Posts

·
Registered
6,376 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a U shape loop at the end of the cylinder, they break.

once it breaks, you need to replace the cylinder housing (and matching finger thing if you go different brand, some fingers/U's are matched sizes)

if you have a new cylinder from picknpull, you can swap the tumblers in about 3 min if you go slow

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/keys/index.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx5pSR-M7uQ
Thank you for the reply, I have another post up in the Vortex Marketplace for new cylinders and housings. It's a good thing there's so many how-tos online for this car, it breaks a lot. :banghead:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Thank you for the reply, I have another post up in the Vortex Marketplace for new cylinders and housings. It's a good thing there's so many how-tos online for this car, it breaks a lot. :banghead:
picknpull :)
or a upullit or whatever you have in your aread

all ya need is a torx or hex (cant remember off the top of my head)

you can grab a couple in just a few min...

locally picknpull is my go to, $2 to go in, and cheap parts!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.