VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've had issues with my door locks for ages and just left them. I finally got around to getting a mobile mechanic i use to come and sort them for me today.

I bought 4 used parts from eBay (all look fine). However, he was only able to repair one (rear driver).

The rear passenger door needs a screw removed very forcefully so will damage the aesthetics a little (i've told him that's fine). And he can't do the two front doors because he needs to remove the speakers to get behind them and then put new rivets in (they aren't screwed in, instead they have rivets, which he says is odd).

The big issue here is that he says he doesn't work on the 'body' (i.e. he doesn't remove outer panels etc). But, every video i've watched online shows that to get to the door lock mechanisms on these VWs, you have to take off the outer panel too (not just the inside panel).

He did manage to repair one door (rear driver) with just removing inside panel. So, maybe it's possible.

I've told him to look for the replacement rivets and to come back next week to finish the job. But, i'm a bit worried that i'm just going to pay him to start a job that he can't finish (if he won't remove outer panels).

Is the job possible with just removing inside door panels and removing the speakers from front doors?

(This guy is usually pretty good and he's much cheaper than my usual garage).

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Hi guys,

I've had issues with my door locks for ages and just left them. I finally got around to getting a mobile mechanic i use to come and sort them for me today.

I bought 4 used parts from eBay (all look fine). However, he was only able to repair one (rear driver).

The rear passenger door needs a screw removed very forcefully so will damage the aesthetics a little (i've told him that's fine). And he can't do the two front doors because he needs to remove the speakers to get behind them and then put new rivets in (they aren't screwed in, instead they have rivets, which he says is odd).

The big issue here is that he says he doesn't work on the 'body' (i.e. he doesn't remove outer panels etc). But, every video i've watched online shows that to get to the door lock mechanisms on these VWs, you have to take off the outer panel too (not just the inside panel).

He did manage to repair one door (rear driver) with just removing inside panel. So, maybe it's possible.

I've told him to look for the replacement rivets and to come back next week to finish the job. But, i'm a bit worried that i'm just going to pay him to start a job that he can't finish (if he won't remove outer panels).

Is the job possible with just removing inside door panels and removing the speakers from front doors?

(This guy is usually pretty good and he's much cheaper than my usual garage).

Cheers.
What model are you working on and find a new mechanic.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
You need to find a new mechanic.

You replace the door latch mechanisms by removing the outer door skin, not the inner door panel. Guy doesn't know what he's doing. The old saying you get what you pay for clearly applies here. In fact, he could save himself some time if he did the job the proper way.

😂 And he asked you permission to F up your car? Takes some real ba**s.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

In reply to GTI's, my model is a 2007 Golf MK5 1.6 FSI.

I've used this guy a few times, and he seems to know what he's doing - i don't have a clue though... so what do i know?!

But, he's a mobile mechanic who works out of his van. That means he can't do some bigger jobs.

But, as pointed out above, every single video i've watched of a Golf like mine having this job done, is by the way stated above (removing outer door skin).

Have you heard of a mechanic not 'working on the body' as he told me? (i.e. not willing to remove the outer door skin).

He did manage to do one of the rear doors though - i'm taking his word for it as i didn't see (i've got the removed door locking mechanism as evidence). So, maybe it is possible? He seems adamant that by removing the front door speakers, he'll have enough space in the cavity to remove old locks and put new ones in.

Call me naive, but i'd like to think he's done it before. Am i being a fool? (be as harsh as you like)

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Have you heard of a mechanic not 'working on the body' as he told me? (i.e. not willing to remove the outer door skin).

Perhaps the mechanic has had issues in the past with damaging the outer skin or surrounding area and just does not want the headache. Not sure this job can be done through the speaker hole in a professional manner but perhaps has found a way. You could always ask the mech. to give you a name & number of someone with a similar car to yours and see what they say.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps the mechanic has had issues in the past with damaging the outer skin or surrounding area and just does not want the headache. Not sure this job can be done through the speaker hole in a professional manner but perhaps has found a way. You could always ask the mech. to give you a name & number of someone with a similar car to yours and see what they say.

That was my thought: he may have had complaints in the past about outer body being scratched or whatever. But, considering there are videos galore of people doing such repairs online, you'd think any mechanic could do it quite easily.

As for the diagram, it seems pretty unlikely anybody could fit their arm in the hole left by the removed speaker and change the lock. But, he did manage to do it for the rear driver's door...

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
This is the rear door on a MK5 golf and while it looks like the speaker hole and door lock module may be closer with the window rolled up I am still not seeing this procedure done unless a contortionist with x-ray vision.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Green Car

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hes probably used to the 98% of cars where everything is behind the door panel on the inside. He either doesnt know or doesnt want the liability like others said.

Its not hard to remove the door skin. It seems intimidating but not really. You could do this yourself tbh. Get some torx sockets and some other basic tools. And watch some youtube vids.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hes probably used to the 98% of cars where everything is behind the door panel on the inside. He either doesnt know or doesnt want the liability like others said.

Its not hard to remove the door skin. It seems intimidating but not really. You could do this yourself tbh. Get some torx sockets and some other basic tools. And watch some youtube vids.
He did say to me when i stated that 'i'm pretty sure you can only get to the door lock mechanism via the outside skin from what i've seen', that he's never known a car where you couldn't get to it via the indoor panel. He's been working on cars since the 1980s, so, maybe he's right... Unfortunately for me, i'm the anti-thesis of the man who knows these things.

I was considering waiting until my brother visits soon and get him to help me do the work - he's much more capable than i - but this guy is going to do some basic work on a mate's van next week, and i'm thinking i will let him have a go on my car first and see what he comes up with before work on my mate's van. At least then i'm not paying him for a separate repair.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Use the video posted by humble mechanic as your guide and with your brothers help you both should be able to replace the lock modules with no issues. Just protect the the edges of the panel & the surrounding areas, I use tape and also keep track of what screws came from where. Pay attention to the cable for the handle do not pull on it to hard or you will need to reset it and unlike what is stated in the video the panel does not need to come off you can reset it with a homemade tool like this through the door handle opening.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Ceiling Metal

Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Liquid Water

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Use the video posted by humble mechanic as your guide and with your brothers help you both should be able to replace the lock modules with no issues. Just protect the the edges of the panel & the surrounding areas, I use tape and also keep track of what screws came from where. Pay attention to the cable for the handle do not pull on it to hard or you will need to reset it and unlike what is stated in the video the panel does not need to come off you can reset it with a homemade tool like this through the door handle opening.
Thanks for the advice. I'll post back here if he manages to do it his way. If he does, it's all good. If he can't, i'm just gonna leave it a few weeks until my brother is down. He's pretty handy with mechanical stuff. I'm actually going to call a friend of my parents tomorrow who has his own VW garage. I'll ask what his opinion is on this.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll post back here if he manages to do it his way. If he does, it's all good. If he can't, i'm just gonna leave it a few weeks until my brother is down. He's pretty handy with mechanical stuff. I'm actually going to call a friend of my parents tomorrow who has his own VW garage. I'll ask what his opinion is on this.
If the mech does do it from the inside take a video, I got to see that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That would be interesting to see. Its honestly better to just do it the right way. Theres nothing wrong with showing the mech the videos. Any good mech would be down to learn.

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,543 Posts
I, too, would be waiting with popcorn to see video of a mech doing MkV front door locks from "inside" the door.
Outer panel: 18 bolts, and off it comes. Simple. Just make sure that the bolts come back from where they came (piece of cardboard, with up holes, punched in a | _ | shape, works great).
Some painter's tape, covered with a layer of duct tape, on the fender edge, and a little on the rocker panel, and no paint damage will occur.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a note: my mechanic has been backlogged this week as we've had a shortage of petrol/diesel here - we're now a 3rd world country lol - and i've been busy anyway. So, he's coming to finish my doors on Monday.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I did all 4 latches for my car by removing the door skins and it's pretty straightforward using the Humble Mechanics video posted in this thread. You just need some basic hand tools to do this. I can't even wrap my head around how you could manage this from the inside, and if you can, it would be WAY more work.

While the door skins are off, I threw on some sound dampening material I picked up on Amazon. I also cleaned up 15 yrs worth of crud that was jammed in the rubber gutter on the door skins. Save yourself some $ and potential headaches by trying it yourself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My mechanic is coming in the morning. Just wondering how long it took people who commented above to do their doors? He's got to do the two front doors and the rear passenger door (he's already done the rear driver's door). I'm going to get him to do the front passenger door first and if he can't i might let him do the rear door as he's already done the other rear door, but i'll finish the job with my brother in a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts