VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
My mechanic is coming in the morning. Just wondering how long it took people who commented above to do their doors? He's got to do the two front doors and the rear passenger door (he's already done the rear driver's door). I'm going to get him to do the front passenger door first and if he can't i might let him do the rear door as he's already done the other rear door, but i'll finish the job with my brother in a few weeks.
Depends on how careful you want to be with removing all the items needed to get to the door lock module.

So what did the mechanic do?? Videos??

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,543 Posts
My mechanic is coming in the morning. Just wondering how long it took people who commented above to do their doors?
Front doors? Maybe 45 minutes each. Maybe.
Rear doors (IIRC, sedan is done same as front (my wife's MkV wagon is more 'normal' - need to pull the window regulators to do the door locks)), I'd say under an hour each (additional time due to removing the rubber seals without breaking the clips.)

The wagon rears are kinda horrible to do, thanks to how much of an a$$hole the plastic pin & sleeve that hold the glass to the regulator can be.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay, well some pros and cons to report...

So, he came to do them around 10.15am yesterday and didn't finish until roughly 12.45pm. So, it took him 2.5 hours to do the front passenger door. Going by some of the comments above, that seems a long time. He did only charge me for 2 hours work though. That's a positive. Due to the time it took, he couldn't do the driver's door, and i already decided not to bother with the other rear door as it's working still. I'll keep the part for it that i bought on eBay for when i eventually probably will need it.

After an hour, i went to talk to him and asked how it was going, and he told me 'not very well'. He said the door wasn't locking after fitting the 'new' lock (which i bought used on eBay). I thought either i've been sent a broken part or he was being economical with the truth! Maybe he hadn't actually managed to change the lock and get it to work the way he had hoped. He had to take the inside panel back off, remove the lock, then 'fix' it (he said it had been sitting around and looked a bit 'gunked up').

I left him to finish the job and he called me to tell me it was done after 2.5 hours. I checked it out, and it's all working and the speakers don't appear damaged. So, he entered through the INSIDE panel and did the job! Albeit in quite a long time (which he claims is because the lock wasn't working to begin with).

Considering he got the job done, and i've already paid him to do one rear door and one front door, i told him to come back (this Friday) to finish the job (fix the remaining driver's door). I'll update the thread to tell you how long it takes and whether he does a good job. He told me it shouldn't take more than an hour (as long as there isn't a problem with the lock).

As far as filming him, or hanging around to watch, i just think that seems a bit rude. It's not like i'd want somebody just standing behind me at work filming what i was doing lol. But, i did mention to him the other day about the videos on YouTube saying 'enter via the OUTSIDE panel' so i might on Friday go out to the carpark where he's working and have a look at what he's doing and mention my parent's friends' son who has his own VW garage telling me that he suspected you couldn't do the repair via the inside panel. I could use that as a conversation starter for why i'm peering over his shoulder lol. Then mention that i will be telling that guy that indeed you CAN fix it from the inside. Maybe it's a British thing... (coming up with watertight reasons for entering into a conversation with a working man in the middle of a job).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My mechanic came back and finished the job yesterday. He did the driver's door, from the inside panel again, in about 90 minutes.

So it seems that it is possible to do the job from the inside panel. Although it took him about 90-100 minutes on average per door. That seems a long time. He charged me £180 total labour costs and i paid about £20 per door locking mechanism on eBay. So for 3 doors, it cost me £240 (about $330). Not sure if you'd consider that expensive. (All four doors would likely have cost me £300 total).

I've still got one door locking mechanism left. That door has never been an issue. If it stops working, i'll likely do the job myself now i know what to do. Just happy my doors actually work now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
One new issue has arisen... tell me if you think it deserves its own thread...

The front passenger seat window switch isn't working! Maybe the mechanic knocked something (e.g. cable) as he was entering from the inside door panel.

I ran a VCDS test as i thought that was a good start, but nothing. The window opens with the switch on the driver's door, so it's not a big issue, but it was working up until before the repair was done.

Is this a simple fix?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts