VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it was bought, the passengers side door on my friends passat hasn't been able to open. Both the inside handle and outside handle do nothing.
The vicious cycle goes like this:
#1.) To open door, need to take off interior plastic and fix mechanism
#2.) To take off interior plastic, need to open door (See #1)
Any ideas?
We have been thinking of making a homemade slimjim to open it and then we could fix it from there, but we have no idea how to go about it and don't want to look like criminals asking if anyone knows how to make a slimjim.... I guess maybe a locksmith could help. Has anybody ever tried a coathanger?

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Re: door wont open! what to do? (ReverendHorton)

I've never used a slimjim to open a door, only unlock it (I guess all those years on Detroit's east side didn't go for naught.
). The mechanism's are a little different. At this rate, I'd try putting the window down as far as it will go and see if you can see down into the door and then use the slimjim to open it up.
I had a very similar problem with my van, no inside door handle and the outside handle was busted. I ended up having to drill out the bolts holding the handle part onto the door and then flipping the lever that was attached to the tab that broke off.

· Registered
46 Posts
Re: door wont open! what to do? (Cooper)

Tips like these remind me why I spend time here. Saw this post and had same prob but hit the link ...went home and in 5 minutes my son thought I was a genius!!!
Many thanks for this quick fix!!!
Brian

· Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: door wont open! what to do? (bigstauf)

Quote, originally posted by bigstauf »
Tips like these remind me why I spend time here.

definitely... I wasn't going to post and say thanks for the great suggestions until we had a chance to try them on my friends car.. hopefully we'll have another success story like yours.

· Registered
192 Posts
Re: door wont open! what to do? (ReverendHorton)

That's not the right tip, that requires you to open the door,
"How to fix it
1. Open the door..."
I have that problem with my front doors, but my driver side rear will not open at all, well it slowly rattles ajar, but wont open. I've been meaning to bring it back to the guy I bought it from (owns an auto body shop) but time/distance has been a hinderence, esp for a door i dont use.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
Re: door wont open! what to do? (val1s)

The most important aspect in most situations like this is: Is the door unlocked? Many times the plunger on the doorlock will come up, but not trip the mechanism to allow the door handle to activate. Try pushing down/pulling up on the plunger and then try the handle. It might work. You might try gently pushing the door in too, to relieve pressure on the striker mechanism while you're doing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.