VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to check and see if anybody happened to have a 3d model of the MK1 Audi TT stereo/climate control/ashtray assembly.

I plan on trying to make a model that will take a double din stereo. Since I haven't been able to find anything online for a 3d model I thought I might check the Vortex before trying to find a way to 3d scan one myself and create a printable file.

If anybody has one, be it for a double din in the MK1 or just the current one that's in there now that would be awesome! Or if anybody has or has access to a 3d scanner and can help out!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
They seem the actual cage on ebay. Fits like factory

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been able to find any on Ebay. If you are talking about Double Din ones being for sale.

Perhaps I missed them? If you have a link that would be awesome.

Otherwise, I figured a 3d model would be nice to customize, and finish myself. As well to allow others a free/low cost method of being able to have a double din if they normally couldn't afford more expensive variants.

·
Registered
652 Posts
In an earlier post, someone mentioned the ebay double din was no longer on sale. Seems to have been pulled just a few months ago. They were available at the beginning of the year.

The issue I see with a self printed solution is the "soft touch" finish. Not that big of a deal for everyone with a black interior. For those of us with denim blue...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

There is the link for one.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

And here is the one I used in my car. I emailed the company before I ordered and they gave me like $50 off my order.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Also a double din cage for sale in the fore sale section

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In an earlier post, someone mentioned the ebay double din was no longer on sale. Seems to have been pulled just a few months ago. They were available at the beginning of the year.

The issue I see with a self printed solution is the "soft touch" finish. Not that big of a deal for everyone with a black interior. For those of us with denim blue...
I see a few sites that make them. But was hoping for something more.. Direct I suppose.

In regards to the finish, it wouldn't be a big deal for anyone. As you can sand it, and finish it in whatever you want. Paint it, wrap it, whatever.

But at the end of the day, it looks like my easiest option is going to be buying it from someone. I just figured printing it out of ABS or PETG would be the best bet, and I could wrap it in leather, or sand/prime/paint it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
In regards to the finish, it wouldn't be a big deal for anyone. As you can sand it, and finish it in whatever you want. Paint it, wrap it, whatever.
I'd like to agree with you. It shouldn't be a big deal.

The interior uses a mix of materials across parts. Some of it is PC+PET. The center din surround is ABS. It all has the same texture and feel because they finished it in a "soft touch" coating. When the coating wears off, the underlying PC+PET is shinier than the ABS which is darker than the coating.

The closest I've found to replicate the soft touch coating is plasti-dip. I don't know how good of a match the black is. Their blue is completely wrong. I've had some luck matching the denim interior with SEM flex coating in shadow blue.

For now, I'm at "close enough has to be good enough". It shouldn't be a big deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts