VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -
My buddy gave me his old Double Din stereo from his 2004 GTI, because I listen to a lot of audio books during my commute, and 90% of the good ones are on cassete, I decided to take out my Clarion CD player and put in the Double Din unit.
After ordering the proper adapter cables from Enfig (and the optional Aux input for my Ipod) coming to over $100, I went to do the install last night.
Come to find out that whoever did the removal of the double din unit must have destroyed the locking mechanism that holds the unit into the dash.
They are stainless steel spring plate that is on each side of the stereo.
Sooooo..... If anybody has a Double Din stereo that they aren't using and would send me the spring plates off the sides - I'd really apprecite it, I'll send some or cash or whatever.
It sucks that I dropped a wad of cash, soldered all the cables and set up a grovey new Ipod Nano adapter (review if I ever get this project finished) and now there's no way to lock the stereo into the dash.
Any help with finding these clips would be great also
Rook

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Re: Double DIn Help (rookie)

I hate VW radio locking mechanisims. I can never get the aftermarket radios to "stay". They pop out just a little bit.
Here's what I did to cure that:
take the entire dash console, glovebox on the right and two plates under the wheel. Take the center console out. Take the radio compartment out. Slide the radio in, zip tie it to the support frame in the back. pop everything back together and viola, you have a 100% secure radio that's in there securely (and not going to get stolen unless they take your dash)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Double DIn Help (pwnt by pat)

Best option I've heard yet, any "how to's" out there on removing the radio cage?
Rook

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Re: Double DIn Help (rookie)

(stick shift)
All of the screws are Torx. Start with the center console. Next, pop off the shifter boot by putting a flat head screw driver under the end. It pops off. Just in front of the seats are two small circles. Take a very small screw driver and pop out the circles. Inside are once screw per side. There are also screws up by the feet area. Once all four are out, the shifter console should pull up near the shifter and out. Don't forget to unplug the cigarette lighter.
Next, do the glove box. Take a small screw driver and pop the outside panel off (door). It has three clips and at the bottom, a lever it swings on. Put the screw driver in by where the top of the glove box meets the dash and just pop it out. Then, on the glove box by the radio is one or two screws. Simply undo them there are three screws under it. open it up and along the top are three more screws. It will kind of hang. while holding under neath it, pull near the radio. It will snap out. Don't worry, nothing should be broken. Unplug the glove box light and the whole thing will come out.
On the drivers side, take a flat head and pop off the fuse box door. Using the same screw driver and the same technique, pop off the whole side pannel. There are five or so clips holding it in. One by where the bottom pannels meet the dash, two at the top, and two below. Next, under the dash undo the three screws. Pull the center towards the seat to unpop the lock on the dash cover. Next, work the pannel under the steering wheel near the door. It has one or two clips and tabs (I think) near the top of the dash. It should work off really easily.
Next undo the one or two screws under the radio in the same area as the glove box on the drivers side. The second pannel under the steering wheel will pop off.
Next, take the flat head and pop off the cover around the climate control levers. There are four phillips (I think) head screws holding the white climate lever compartment to the radio console.
Finally, there will be four screws holding the radio compartment to the dash. They should all be visible. Once all four are out, the entire radio area including cup holders and climate will come out.
With the exception of the climate control screws, all of the screws should be interchangable. Installation is just the reverse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.