VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
We just ordered one. The same one you are getting if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for the offer though. We also have a fiberglass hood and tailgate. Not sure what we are going to do with those.
Gotcha, figured id offer! If I'm not mistaken the control arms on this car came off my old blue rabbit many years ago at your shop too, cool to have that connection this awesome mk1 in a tiny way at least.

The stuff from CPH will be much nicer though. I have their carbon hatch and ended up ordering the hood because the hatch compared to my 20 year old hood was just way to nice in contrast.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
OK on to the wiring. We wanted to do a nice job. Like most people we had seen pictures of cool looking bulkhead connectors on race cars. Just a few years ago information and techniques on how to properly do this stuff was hard to come by. Thankfully, in the modern era of information this stuff is now available. If you don't know what I am talking about check out this website. It is a little dated but outlines the whole thing very nicely. After some research I found HP Academy has some online classes so I signed up. They were very informative. I have done plenty of wiring in the past but they provide a good step by step process to follow for getting good results.

The main thing that I liked but lacked the proper discipline for in the past was fully researching and planning every aspect of the wiring before even touching a wire. Part of that is research into manufacturer recommendations. Some of it is simply measuring current draw of a circuit.

Here, I am measuring the current draw of the starter solenoid with an oscilloscope.

In hindsight it would have been easier and cheaper to use the same gauge wire for most of it but I calculated out the minimum required so no wire is any larger (or heavier) than it needs to be.

Then all that information gets entered into a spreadsheet which was a new thing for me to learn. This can all be used for reference later for repairs or diagnosis. The details are all there right down to the connector pin number and replacement part number.

Lots of head scratching, measuring, planning, and of course significant tooling investment and I was ready to start building my harnesses.

Started with the instruments as it was small and manageable. Also, out of sight if it turned out crummy

First "concentric twist". This is the cabin side of the chassis harness.

Splicing in the rest of the circuits. (ping pong table works great for this)

Section running to the back of the car was a challenge to get consistent.

Harness starting to take shape

Body harness. recovered, terminated, and labeled.

Super time consuming but oh so satisfying. More to come.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Very nice indeed!

I’m seeing Metripack, Deutsch, and what else? Some Hella F terminals?

-Todd
Good eye. Any connector I put into the harness is either Deutsche DTM or MIL spec bulkhead connector. Everything else is dictated by the component I'm plugging into. Some I added a flying lead - then DTM.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
That harness is amazing! Now that you invested in that capability, is that something you might do for customers?
I would love to do more of it. However, it's so damn time consuming it would take a very dedicated customer to foot the bill. There is a section in the link I posted earlier that talks about cost and it is no joke. I think I have like 200 hours into wiring the whole car. Granted, lots of learning but the costs add up quick. I'm hoping maybe someone would want a simple engine harness or bullet proof fog lamp harness at some point.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Those that do not understand the amount of time it takes. Time does add up when you want the best. Many times, you do not need the best and that is when the hours go down, but the reliability goes down too.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
More wiring updates. I'm looking forward to getting caught up so I can share the stuff I am working on currently.

The battery cable got the bulkhead treatment

Pretty twisty colors

The Stack temperature sensors weren't quite motorsport enough

Leads added and connectors epoxied

Much better

All lined up like little soldiers

Engine harness complete

Body harness firewall forward complete

Bulkhead connector bulkhead. I'll weld this in eventually

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I would love to do more of it. However, it's so damn time consuming it would take a very dedicated customer to foot the bill. There is a section in the link I posted earlier that talks about cost and it is no joke. I think I have like 200 hours into wiring the whole car. Granted, lots of learning but the costs add up quick. I'm hoping maybe someone would want a simple engine harness or bullet proof fog lamp harness at some point.
I can totally see how it would be tough to make that make business sense. Still.. Damn sexy!! Maybe we can talk again when I’m at that stage 😅

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
How do those potted temp connectors work? Are they just cylinders you fill with fast cure epoxy, then apply heavy, adhesive lined shrink boots? TE Connectivity

-Todd
The cylinders are just little plastic sleeves that spark plugs are shipped with sometimes. They just hold the epoxy in place. I wouldn't call it fast curing, but it is resintech 125 which is sort of the standard for sealing the formed heat shrink boots that don't have an adhesive lining. Correct, I did then put heavy adhesive lined shrink tube AKA Raychem SCL over them. I used some of the TE Connectivity formed heat shrink boot on the project but in many areas just the SCL was adequate. If it was truly "race spec" every junction would be booted and sealed but those little buggers are expensive!

I can totally see how it would be tough to make that make business sense. Still.. Damn sexy!! Maybe we can talk again when I’m at that stage 😅
Willing to discuss any time.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
OK almost up to date on this. I had a goal of firing this thing up by spring 2021 and things were on track. The very happy ending to the wiring project was that I powered it up and everything worked correctly!

With that is was time to add some fluids and awaken the beast!

But first, I pulled the engine again and finalized a bunch of loose ends and things that were just loosely mocked up.

Back together and out in the fresh air

First rip

With a project this protracted I assumed there would be some major mechanical miscalculation or something but aside from a few little details things worked as intended. It was a big moment for the whole "team".

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
With a project this protracted I assumed there would be some major mechanical miscalculation or something but aside from a few little details things worked as intended. It was a big moment for the whole "team".
Congratulations!

Your 'team' does beautiful work and this thread has been a joy to read. I hope you keep it going.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It's a little unit from Cartek in the UK. Sort of a solid state "PMU". With just a couple exceptions all the switching and circuit protection is handled by the little box with the buttons on it. Turn signal flashing, wiper park position, all internal. If there is a short circuit it cuts power and then attempts to re try after a few seconds. They built it to our specs. Pretty pricy but simplifys things quite a bit

101 - 120 of 128 Posts