VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It's a little unit from Cartek in the UK. Sort of a solid state "PMU". With just a couple exceptions all the switching and circuit protection is handled by the little box with the buttons on it. Turn signal flashing, wiper park position, all internal. If there is a short circuit it cuts power and then attempts to re try after a few seconds. They built it to our specs. Pretty pricy but simplifys things quite a bit
How many circuits are you running and what are you powering. I’m likin the sounds of this.. pdm’s I’ve looked at are +/-$1200 but way more channels. I think I can get mine running with 8 fuse and 8 relay channels from 2 cartek units under $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
How many circuits are you running and what are you powering. I’m likin the sounds of this.. pdm’s I’ve looked at are +/-$1200 but way more channels. I think I can get mine running with 8 fuse and 8 relay channels from 2 cartek units under $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have 12 channels but had to double up some to get the required amperage. If I were in your situation I'd save for a PDM. I assume with the fancy dash your fuel system is compatible via CAN bus? The new PDM's are so cool. You can program all sorts of triggers and rules and junk. It's cool tech.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
We have 12 channels but had to double up some to get the required amperage. If I were in your situation I'd save for a PDM. I assume with the fancy dash your fuel system is compatible via CAN bus? The new PDM's are so cool. You can program all sorts of triggers and rules and junk. It's cool tech.
How much was it to have Cartek custom build the 12 circuit panel for you?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Almost caught up on updates now. We reinstalled the dash, put a hood on it, and did some shake down runs. Then it pretty much sat for the summer. The original plan at this phase was to tear down the car and send the shell out for paint. However, we hadn't found a body shop and still had a few things to wrap up so I figured I'd spend one more winter adding some fun touches.

Properly degreed the cam to the engine. Took the carbs apart to set the float levels and delete the choke circuit. Runs much better now.

Inspired by folks on social media I thought it was time to learn how to use CAD as part of the fabrication process. So I downloaded Fusion 360 and watched a crap load of YouTube.

First attempt was a simple tow hook that would mount under the euro bumpers. The fist step was a more traditional Cardboard Aided Design

Then transferred it to Fusion

Sent it out to www.sendcutsend.com and a few days later...

Pretty Neat! and no metal boogers, grinders, or any mess. Plus it is dead nuts accurate and completely repeatable.

Next up we were getting some flexing on the firewall under braking so I needed a brace to support the bias box.

Getting a bit more complicated now

Sorry for the head tilting :)

They have many materials to choose from. I spent an afternoon making the aluminum dash plate but couldn't resist having it made up in carbon.

That's all for now. More fun stuff to come.

·
Registered
1990 Cabriolet, 2004 VW Golf TDI
1,364 Posts
What version of Fusion 360 did you download? I tried to download the free Enthusiast version, but bailed due to the seemingly endless verification screens.
Wondering if it's just me.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I started with the free version. There were a ton of verifications and a big download. I had it working but you can't export to DXF file which is needed for laser cutting so I switched to the pay version.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Added some pizzazz to the doors and generally cleaned them up. They had been haphazardly gutted. My HF hydraulic punch tool worked great for banging out dimple die speed holes.

Here's what I came up with for interior door handles. On our blue car we just have a cable running through the door that you grab. I wanted to do something a little fancier, and I wanted to make more stuff out of carbon.

Sorry about the photo rotation. Our website is doing it and I don't know how to fix it.
Anyway, just a simple pull

Next up was a floor board. I designed this in CAD and had it laser cut as well. Mainly so I didn't have to manually drill out all the damn dimple die holes.

Cooler looking pedal covers are in the works.

Here is what I came up with for mounting it to the floor. I didn't want to have fasteners sticking through the floor to get caught on on stuff so welded a nut down the added an aluminum sleeve to set the height.

For the passenger I got lazy and bought a pre made foot rest. Just needed to fab up some mounts for it.

All Done

The main project that I am still currently working on is an air inlet for the carbs. Originally, we bought this beautiful cast piece from Germany. Unfortunately, the spacing is set up for their crab manifold and ours was just slightly different. Also, it interfered with the strut tower supports.

By the time I made that realization I had already designed an air box.

So full custom it is.

Air box cut, bent and tacked together (yes more carbon fiber)

Should get nice cool air from what remaining open grille space we have left.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts