VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
So looking at the picture for the DP from Red Star Exhaust, it seems that its a single tube downpipe instead of the dual tubes that go around the driveshaft?
Or is that just a stock picture and the actual DP is dual pipes going around the driveshaft?

Thanks for finding one, I'm in the market :D
The picture is correct. The downpipe style is similar to the APR downpipe that is a single tube that goes down past the driveshaft and then splits out into two tubes to connect back to the stock catback.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shipping was like $25, just took a while to get here from Europe. This was like over a year ago so their prices may be different from when I picked it up. If you reach out to them they are very responsive and helpful.
purchased a setup today. luckily they had a setup already built so they are heat shielding not and shipping it Monday. hope to have it in 7-10 days. did you do the install? any tips on driveshaft removal and getting the oem d/p out?

·
Registered
181 Posts
purchased a setup today. luckily they had a setup already built so they are heat shielding not and shipping it Monday. hope to have it in 7-10 days. did you do the install? any tips on driveshaft removal and getting the oem d/p out?
I cheated and swapped my downpipe when I had my turbo out so I didn't wind up needing to remove the drive shaft. It looks to be a 2 person job though and you want to make sure not to bend the driveshaft at the joints too much or you can cause damage. There's also a driveshaft removal tool that a few places sell to help get it removed from the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I cheated and swapped my downpipe when I had my turbo out so I didn't wind up needing to remove the drive shaft. It looks to be a 2 person job though and you want to make sure not to bend the driveshaft at the joints too much or you can cause damage. There's also a driveshaft removal tool that a few places sell to help get it removed from the car.
I ordered the tool so that should help. ill mark the front and back to keep the orientation correct and drop it out. trying to avoid removing the subframe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it possible to disable the CEL from installing this downpipe using Vagcom, or is tuning the only way?
you have to tune the code out or disable the post o2 sensor from reading to keep the light off the dash. then you wont pass emissions if you have to. I used a simple o2 fouler to move the post o2 out of the exhaust stream and filled it with steel wool to reduce the amount of exhaust it reads. took a few tries to get the amount of steelwool to keep a light from popping but in the end I have no cats , no lights and car would pass emissions obd11 testing.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts